PDA

View Full Version : Did you display the Nimrod ?

XV148
23rd Mar 2011, 00:13
I am interested in understanding more about the what went into the display routine of the Nimrod both before and after and also the changes if any after the Toronto incident. I would welcome any experiences or input as part of a long term ref book project, can you help ?

ShortFatOne
23rd Mar 2011, 00:27
I was the Nimrod display co-pilot in 98, display captain in 99. PM me, happy to see if I can help.

Specaircrew
23rd Mar 2011, 12:43
I was the St Mawgan Nimrod display captain in '91 & '92 and flew 2 displays at Toronto in Sept '91, I'd be happy to help if you PM me.

The Old Fat One
23rd Mar 2011, 17:26
Goodness me specaircrew haven't seen you on here for ages. How is that zimmerframe working out for you?

XV148

The circumstances behind the Toronto crash are well-documented (and can be found via Google). I don't know of any controversy in the findings and I don't think content has much to do with it. Unless of course you find the whole concept of chucking an airliner around like that at low level somewhat daft....as some pilots and rearcrew did.

PS Definitely not looking to start an argument, or further the discussion. Some liked it and found it worthwhile, others didn't. QED.

Specaircrew
24th Mar 2011, 08:24
Daytime TV means I don't need the Zimmerframe much especially as I have a Comode. Personally I never 'chucked around' the Nimrod while displaying, I liked to think of it as a series of smoothly executed low level manoeuvres within the safe flight envelope of the aircraft :-) Mind you the rearcrew may have had a different point of view, especially as I liked to have a tray of tea and sarnies delivered to the flight deck during the orbits........well they used to manage it during a MAD circle ;-)

Exrigger
24th Mar 2011, 10:34
I would like to hear from the 203 squadron crew who in 75/76 approx at RAF Luqa who proceeded with a practice display with minimum fuel, minumum crew and no load who amazed all the aircrew and groundcrew watching with how quickly it left the runway and its angle of climb, followed by a fairly impressive routine and then demonstrated how quickly it could stop and turn off the runway on landing at the end, as I do not recall very much feedback afterwards.

The Curator
24th Mar 2011, 11:24
Specaircrew............. I was the display Flight Engineer at approximately the same time in 1991...... I was instructing on the OCU though.......were you at ISK or 'dahn sath'...?

Specaircrew
24th Mar 2011, 19:38
1st Division South :cool:

Tester78
24th Mar 2011, 20:55
Yes. 1990-91. Happy days indeed.

Feel free to pm me.

Distant Voice
25th Mar 2011, 10:19
Some one very close to the accident once told me

"but I was never quite happy with the simple explanation surrounding stall speeds, as the RAF changed them via a signal to Kinloss four hours after the crash - by 30 knts - and then said the plane went down at 30 knts slower than it should have been"

Was there such a signal?

DV

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Mar 2011, 11:45
DV,

Not that I can recall (that does not there was no such signal). However, what did happen fairly much straight away was a re-education of manoeuvre stall. Much later the concept of Vmsw was introduced - ie if you are above Vmsw then the any 'G'/stall warning indication was indicating 'G' (if you were below Vmsw, you couldn't be sure!)

Duncs:ok: