View Full Version : CASA licence Conversion

deelydog
22nd Mar 2011, 21:24
Hi All,

So frustrated, hubby been offered great job in oz. He is B2 engineer (no grandfather rights or section L), but when we tried to transfer his licence they have only granted him instruments / radio and no electrics.....result job offer withdrawn.

My question is that I believe that CASA are coming in line with EASA part 66 in June 2011....if this is the case does anyone know if a B2 holds the same privileges inc electrics?

Any advice welcome as I don't want our dream to slip away...:sad:

ukv1145
22nd Mar 2011, 22:05
Hi,

I am just going down the same route (hope I didnt get the job your hubby was after - pm me). As for the license, if hubby has an unrestricted B2 it does not hold and electrical rights on airframe systems in this country so will not transfer across to oz. He will have to do (weirdly) a full B1 to be able to get full electrics rights.
PM me if you need more.

mono
23rd Mar 2011, 16:46
the B2 does offer some electrical certification privileges but it's very limited (the geny to the busbar)

To get full electrical rights ala pre Part 66 then the only way to go is to get a full B1 too.

There is an NPA to allow B2's full electrical privileges but I'm not sure how far this has progressed.

deelydog
23rd Mar 2011, 19:40
Hi UKV

Oh I hope it aint the same job either....

Yep hubby has Full unrestricted B2 licence here in the UK but on his LTA they have only converted to give him I & R. He also has a B1 but hasn't held it for a full 6mnths yet with a company approval so CASA still wont grant it.....arghhhhh

I still don't really understand why?

I know that CASA are coming in line with EASA in June 2011 so surely then a B2 should be a B2 with the same privileges as he has now....

Hubby is fed up of explaining to me the reasons why...hence why i'm on here to get some answers.

Hope your conversion is much simpler and if u need any advice I can get hubby to pm you.

deelydog
23rd Mar 2011, 20:01
Hi Mono,

Thx for your reply.

Hubby has just been granted a B1 also but he has to hold this together with a company approval before CASA will convert and give him the electrics which he has been doing for 20 odd years...arghhh (at least this is my understanding)

Excuse my ignorance...but what is an NPA? and do you know if that will help CASA grant him the Electrics?

Really appreciate your input and I know i am grasping at straws, but i have to try and understand why he has electrics here...but not there. I have to be sure we have exhausted all options before I can let this dream slip away.

Thx in advance

chucky the engineer
24th Mar 2011, 04:01
When CASR 66 comes in a CASA B2 covers full electrics. So if you had a CASA EIR licence you will get a full B2. CASA isn't giving restricted/limited B1 to cover electrics like EASA does.

You say your hubby has UK full B2 then CASA can only issue him I and R. His B2 doesn't cover full electrics hence CASA can't give it to him. He would need to have a restricted B1 to cover electrics from section L days or a full B1.

hope this helps.

ironchefflay
24th Mar 2011, 06:48
Surely, if he has a B2 licence here and CASA gets their act together and swaps to the 100.66, then he would get a CASA B2. Problem solved.

if thats the case then the CASA B2 would cover the same scope as the one here thus no problem. if this is not the case then the EASA CASA harmonization is not such!

For info, here in EASA land, a B1 or B2 can sign for electrics from the Gen to the Busbar. a B1 can sign for any electrical going from Busbar to MECHANICAL systems or avionic systems that DO NOT require test equipment to prove the function. a B2 can sign for Electrics from Busbar to all avionic equipment.

ironchefflay
24th Mar 2011, 06:57
out of interest what was he offered?

ukv1145
24th Mar 2011, 14:20
Hi IC

You are quite correct of course, however I imagine the employing company want full electrics priviliges as granted by the E of the present CASA system and the old BCAR X - Electrical.
These are not covered by thr B2 (as you have pointed out) so CASA cannot grant them, however if the applicant has grandfather rights from BCAR days (not the case here) then CASA will probably grant a restricted B1 (limitations 10,11) as they do here.
Seems a bit off that the guy also has a full B1 (assumed as unrestricted) but they wont grant electrics as been held less than 6 months - there is no such restriction here - if you have the relevant type and the basic category you can CRS immediately (assuming not gone down the 'approved course' route with the 1 year restriction) but unlikely as the guy is experienced and has a full B2.

And just to clarify, a B2 cannot certify electrical items in a MECHANICAL System period (downstream of the busbar). This is a real pain as the B2 cannot certify for something like a Flap Electronic Control Unit or a Flap motor etc. Direct quote from CAAIPS ref B2 -
'Scope is not included for authorisation in respect of work on electrical power
distribution systems or electrical/avionic components in mechanical systems.'

ukv1145
24th Mar 2011, 14:23
Hi Chucky,

Thats interesting, do you have any links for that info? If this is the case then the CASA B2 will be different to the EASA B2, jeez this gets confusuing.

coax
24th Mar 2011, 15:52
instead of going for a CASA part 66 why does he not convert his licence to a CAR 31 licence that way he will have electric,s as well.I did this two years ago and have a CAR 31 E/I/R licence and also hold a CASA part66 MA.

Miles Gustaph
24th Mar 2011, 16:17
That's just the CASA answer for today, talk to them and someone else another day, and get another answer.

They are not an easy, or cheep organization to deal with!

ironchefflay
24th Mar 2011, 20:43
instead of going for a CASA part 66 why does he not convert his licence to a CAR 31 licence that way he will have electric,s as well.I did this two years ago and have a CAR 31 E/I/R licence and also hold a CASA part66 MA

thats the point. He cant get the E part of the CAR31 license.

i believe the B1 B2 scopes will be the same on implementation, otherwise what is the point in the exercise, but i know a lot of the industry are trying to resist the change. i believe its not too popular.

VIRUS484
24th Mar 2011, 20:51
Hi all I have read all replies with interest I am said husband of Deelydog and I would like to thank all of you for explaining to her the complexities of the licencing systems as I was getting very frustrated with explaining it for the hundredth time.While I am now fully licensed with a full B1 and B2 I have only held a B1 LWTR for just over 8 months now I did not have grandfather rights from the section L system.I should get my A330 type by mid April.
CASA have told me to gain my electrics either CAR 31 or 100.66 I have to hold a company approval on type I can only presume this is to prove the required currency on type (6 months out of 24). I completed the B1 airframe/electrical type course 5 years ago but did not do the engine part of the course this has stopped me gaining the approval, but even with a valid elec course cert, LWTR and over a years log book experience they still would not grant me an elec LTA.

Good luck to all of you dealing with CASA I now find the CAA more amienable

I can only hope a job will be available after 6 months.