PDA

View Full Version : Advice on VS seat allocation.

OldBristolFreighter
22nd Mar 2011, 19:47
Background: In order to get the best accommodation & flight options for a “coming of age” holiday for Mrs OBF [pension age!] I’ve booked LGW-MCO nine months in advance, low season, midweek flight and avoiding school hols. In spite of all this I found that in an all PE top deck only a couple of seats, not adjacent, were on offer. I had to opt for a converted broom cupboard downstairs. It’s the one with two rows of seats, front ones adjacent to lavatories & Galley, rear ones with limited recline. And the place looks horribly claustrophobic! (What bozos design these things?)

You can guess my question. Does anyone know when VS release their more acceptable seating? Or is it a question of keep hitting the website in the hope of catching some released seats?

In case these factors make a difference I booked direct with VS, and didn’t use any Club Miles.

mike2000
22nd Mar 2011, 19:54
A lot of seats will be released when checkin opens, 24 hours before your departure time. I think a lot of these seats are reserved by VH. Check out the following website for seat ratings... Virgin Atlantic and Virgin America Seat Maps (http://v-flyer.com/the-toolbox/seat-maps)

wowzz
22nd Mar 2011, 21:45
I know it is too late now, but did you look at WT+ on BA ?

PAXboy
22nd Mar 2011, 23:55
I know it is too late now, but did you look at Premium Economy on VS?A superior product to BA and, if you have the money to upgrade from your existing purchase, the option go for.

(I do not work for ANY airline, never have done and never expect to. Just been paxing for 45 years and am in VS PE this Friday)

OldBristolFreighter
23rd Mar 2011, 20:52
I booked VS PE, hence my reference to the full PE upper deck. As you say VS Premium offers a more comprehensive package than BA, although slightly more expensive.

I’ve also, very occasionally, had some unfortunate experiences with BA when front cabin staff (union unknown!) have to come aft and have made it perfectly clear they do not appreciate being in the company of peasants. Biggest complaint with VS so far (other than seat allocation!) is once being missed on the ice cream run.:{

PAXboy
24th Mar 2011, 14:57
Ah, OBF, I take your point. When I tried for seat allocation for a single upstairs window on the 744 for t'row, I was out of luck and that was three months ago. I guess there are folks who can take advantage of the 363 days of advance booking for a really special trip. My life is not structured enough for that. So I have a Port side window over the wing.

On the return 340, I found that my preference for a Starboard window on that particular sector was already unavailable. PE has been such a success that the cabin is usually full.

strake
24th Mar 2011, 18:18
VS will hold a number of seats for families, premium travellers etc. You need to log-in 24 hrs before your flight (to the minute if possible) and voila, a number of previously unavailable seats will have been released for your selection. Probably.

Chidken Sangwich
29th Mar 2011, 10:30
OBF -I just hope given your choice of travel date / day of the week that you dont have the misfortune of the new A330 that is operating the LGW-MCO route and would be a prime candidate to operate your flight downgraded from a 744 low season, midweek, avoiding school holidays... as you have mentioned.

Certainly a reason to book BA over VS (any day!) in my opinion to avoid those Tupperware jets...

Skipness One Echo
30th Mar 2011, 16:34
Certainly a reason to book BA over VS (any day!) in my opinion to avoid those Tupperware jets...

You're seriously slagging off a brand new factory fresh A330 over a 13 year old B777? Epic! Virgin seating policy is a bit pretendy(!) as lots of people, myself included, check in online, select nice window seats and then discover hours later at the airport that they've now got a centre seat in the middle of the cabin. They are notorious for this.

Ancient Observer
30th Mar 2011, 16:40
I can confirm what SOE says.
Virgin's alleged online check in for econ+ is nothing of the sort.
They can and will change your seat allocation if/when they want to.

The online check in is simply another Virgin con.

The first Virgin con is that Virgin tickets/seats in econ+ are cheapest on their web-site. Just not true.
........the discounters do them cheaper.

OldBristolFreighter
30th Mar 2011, 18:35
OK, I’ll begrudgingly have take pot luck on the seats, but I’m delighted (CS please note) to have had the option, one way, (Thursdays) to use an A330. I’ve always found them, and A340s, quieter and more comfortable than any B777.
Or I may be delighted, let’s await the seat reports!

Chidken Sangwich
31st Mar 2011, 09:56
You're seriously slagging off a brand new factory fresh A330 over a 13 year old B777?

Yep, I sure am!

Booked BA over VS last year at a higher price so as to avoid having to fly on a 'bus.

GROUNDHOG
2nd Apr 2011, 20:40
I too have crossed the Atlantic several times this year, flew into LGW on VS today and consider Virgin Premium and BA WTP to be pretty equal. Chose VS today on the basis of a 747 rather than BA 777. Today excellent flight and crew, couldn't ask for more although VS catering has gone downhill these days and on both sectors had run out of meal choice and baileys!

I would always choose a 747/A340 over a A330/777 given the option, factory fresh sounds good but the snag book opens on day one

jackieofalltrades
4th Apr 2011, 00:48
It's all a matter of preference. I've crossed the pond more times than I can count, and will preferably book to fly on an A330. For me they've always been the most comfortable

ian16th
4th Apr 2011, 20:13
You're seriously slagging off a brand new factory fresh A330 over a 13 year old B777?

I've gotta agree with Chidken Sangwich.

Dunno if I've been unlucky with my choice of airline, but I find that the seats in Boeing's 74X and 777 are more comfortable than Airbus A34x and A330.