PDA

View Full Version : £25 fine for no yellow coat"""

TOT
22nd Mar 2011, 19:28
So on a sunny day, we go to glorious Caernarvon.
Walking from the heli to the cafe I am approached by some busy body, telling me that I have got a £25 pound penalty fine for not wearing my yellow coat!!!.
orders from the management!!
ok, so I should have it on, I forgot - sorry.
I really dont want to pay, go and take a running jump!
surely this cannot be legal and it cannot be enforced- can it??,

I will be crossing Caernarvon of my user friendly list of places to visit!!!:\

g-mady
22nd Mar 2011, 19:34
Thank god you didn't do it at Harwarden - You get 3 points for each offence up to 9 points!

You'll probably get shot at!

Im sure they would rather keep your buisness - Your next visits landing fee will be a similar amount.

The airfield have a difficult job though as its the threat of the CAA that makes them take this sort of action.

Try Sywell though - One of 2 airfields I know with a bit of common sense (you dont have to wear them!)

MADY

JTobias
22nd Mar 2011, 19:49
Hi

Doubt it can be enforced.
In fact I'd hazard a guess that there is absolutely no-way it can be enforced.

And yes, visit Sywell. Very sensible place, as the photo below taken whilst competing in last years Helicopter Club of Great Britain Air Games demonstrates. This was taken only 30 minutes after I was accosted at Halfpenny Green airfield for not wearing Hi Vis.

I was then accosted by Mick -for wearing one !!!!

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/HCGB%20Air%20Games%202010/HiVisJkt.jpg

mfriskel
22nd Mar 2011, 20:28
Has England completely lost the plot?

Would I be fined if I landed my NREG after arriving from Greenland and got out with no hi-vis vest?

pitot212
22nd Mar 2011, 20:37
I can go one better than that! Guardia Civil at Jerez once invited me to a free night in a cell for not finding my yellow jacket asap. Not one to argue with these very nice people I soon found one!!!!!!!!

S76Heavy
22nd Mar 2011, 20:46
Those yellow things present more of a safety hazard than a safety enhancement...

Unfortunately, in this day and age of lawsuits, common sense is regarded a character flaw, or so it seems.:yuk:

TRC
22nd Mar 2011, 20:57
Ronaldsway IOM, is a huge airfield – and I mean HUGE.

One summer morning – 06.00 – we were prepping our 355 in the far corner of this vast airfield, parked on a large expanse of grass between two taxiways. Nothing was moving except us.
Then we see a vehicle approaching. It stops on the taxiway about 40 yards away, out steps a policeman, all flat cap and hi-vis jacket.

“Morning lads, got any hi-vis with you?”

“Well, yes – somewhere….. we’re just leaving.”

“Put ‘em on next time, eh?”

“Certainly officer.”

His car was the ONLY thing moving on that airfield that could have hit us – and he saw us (without hi-vis gear) from the tower HALF A MILE AWAY!!

heliski22
22nd Mar 2011, 21:00
Perhaps warnings to "Beware the Yellow Peril" of over 100 years ago were way ahead of their time and mistakenly turned our eyes to the East when we should, in fact, be looking at all these bloody hi-vis jackets instead?!!:E

Herod
22nd Mar 2011, 21:13
Interesting fact. Almost every injury on a UK airfield in the last ten years has involved someone wearing a yellow jacket. Statistically this proves YELLOW JACKETS ARE DANGEROUS.

Fly_For_Fun
22nd Mar 2011, 21:14
What would happen if you were colour blind and put a blue jacket on instead, a very nice fashionable one. You know the sort, with a cute hood and elasticated cuffs. :ok:

ambidextrous
22nd Mar 2011, 21:23
Sorry to appear thick but does this argument apply to both traffic & parking regulations?:ok:

mfriskel
22nd Mar 2011, 21:29
I do believe that the UK has "jumped the shark"!
Surely it is not too late to begin to be responsible for yourselves, your safety, our lives in general and to take that responsibility away from your government and soliciters.

TRC
22nd Mar 2011, 21:32
It's not just a UK thing - it's our beloved EEC. God bless 'em.

spinwing
22nd Mar 2011, 21:41
Mmmmm ...

It has always amused me to find that walking to/from around my assigned aircraft in my brilliant white shirt (albeit with very tarnished bars on shoulders) that I am deemed invisible for safety purposes BUT makes me highly visible for bollocking purposes .....

:rolleyes:

cyclic flare
22nd Mar 2011, 21:42
:ugh:I was on a european trip collecting a machine from majorca landed at airfields in Spain and several in France with no Hi Vis no problem at all I landed at Blackpool just near Seedles if you know it, shut down and was walking across the apron when a man came running over screaming at me where's your hi vis.

The problem was he wasn't wearing one either. I was flying a Robinson and i think he thought I was a 50 hour PPL, my reply was where's yours Mr and he said I work here!!!

He must of been exempt from being flattened by a jet because he worked there clearly a clown.

The world has gone H&S bonkers. In my other life I work in construction and have just received a special offer 3 operatives for the day on a "how to use a step ladder" £500 plus VAT ?????????????

TRC
22nd Mar 2011, 22:17
.... airfields in Spain and several in France with no Hi Vis no problem at all

That's what pi$$e$ me off more than anything.

The bloody EEC comes up with the rules and regs and just about everyone except us ignores them.

mfriskel
22nd Mar 2011, 23:06
So all in all, is the EEC, is the European Union a good thing for Europe and the UK? Are you better off than you were in the 90s or the 80s, or just more headaches to deal with? Do the collective governments know you and what is best for you, better than you know yourselves?

Tailboom
22nd Mar 2011, 23:26
I'm sure I've just read an article in Loop/Wings that some airfields are discouraging the wearing of Hi Vis Jackets.

Ive just come of a H&S course for my garage business, it has just amazed me that when checking our method statements we even have one for using our vacum cleaner !!!!!!!!

parabellum
22nd Mar 2011, 23:28
If the regulations require a Hi Viz jacket and you are not wearing one it is quite possible the insurers will find you 50% responsible for any accident you might be involved in and halve your pay out! Bummer.

(If you have pax and you don't provide them with Hi Viz, in the event of an accident, you could find yourselves in very deep merde).

TRC
22nd Mar 2011, 23:34
Another so-called regulation that makes me laugh is having to use four-way flashers when you drive a vehicle airside.

How they make a 15 x 5 x 4 foot vehicle more visible in broad daylight is quite beyond me.

FlightPathOBN
22nd Mar 2011, 23:52
How they make a 15 x 5 x 4 foot vehicle more visible in broad daylight is quite beyond me.

How pilots continue to hit that 15x5x4 vehicle is quite beyond me....:hmm:

ShyTorque
22nd Mar 2011, 23:56
When has this occurred?

Tailboom
23rd Mar 2011, 00:21
Just looked through my latest GASCO Flight Saftey Mag Spring 2011 and in the safety notices I read the following

High Visibility Clothing Concerns

At a meeting last autumn of the National Council of the Light Aircraft Association, concern was expressed about the propensity of high visibilty tabards and jackets, which are made from synthetic materials, to generate static electricity. For this reason, it is thought unwise to wear one of these garments in a refuelling area. Advice also exists about not wearing clothing made from synthetic materials while flying because of the risk of the material burning fiercely in a conflagration following a crash. There is also a risk of reflective materials causing problems with the reflections from the winsshield when flying at night. There is no UK legal or regulatory requirement to wear these garments although some airfield operators require them as a percieved airside safety measure. Some airfields in France, and possibly elsewhere, restrict the wearing of these garments to functionaries of the airfield and ask pilots to remove theirs.

Can you believe it, I knew I'd read it somewhere.:D

cl12pv2s
23rd Mar 2011, 02:52
Has England completely lost the plot?

Would I be fined if I landed my NREG after arriving from Greenland and got out with no hi-vis vest?

Hell yes!

It's not just aviation...almost every industry has its Hi Vis Jacket regulations...

The jackets are now a fashion accessory, with the high street designers sporting them on their runways along with their summer catalogues!

----------------
Seriously though, I must admit, when I went back to UK for the first time in 5 years, I did have to chuckle at a bunch of builders wearing theirs in the pub whilst drinking a pint of bitter!

Yes...UK has lost it...

paco
23rd Mar 2011, 03:14
It's their airfield - if they post the conditions properly you have to abide by them, including wearing a silly jacket - but the keyword is properly. There are several cases concerning car parks where this has not been done and they haven't had a leg to stand on, so this is where I would look if it escalates.

Check out the magistrates court rules as well - they used to have to do something about it within 3 months. But it's years since I dealt with this sort of stuff, but parabellum makes a good point about insurers who do not live in the real world :)

"So all in all, is the EEC, is the European Union a good thing for Europe and the UK? Are you better off than you were in the 90s or the 80s, or just more headaches to deal with? Do the collective governments know you and what is best for you, better than you know yourselves?"

Non.

Phil

ToTall
23rd Mar 2011, 03:25
The next is probably hard hat and steel toed boots :D

tu154
23rd Mar 2011, 08:27
Can't blame the EU for this rubbish, it's an airfield thing. Luckily many sensible airfields have no truck with this pointless jobsworth nonsense. Wycombe Air Park, Denham, Wellesbourne, Sywell to name a few.
Of course Wycombe has its own issues, ATC:"Are you familiar with the helicopter joining procedure for Wycombe Air Park?" Pilot:"Yes", generally followed by a 24 arrival whatever the runway in use. :ugh:

HeliChopter
23rd Mar 2011, 08:30
Still wondering how you were spotted!

Maybe a niche here for hi vis pilot shirts, we could make them out of a bright, reflective colour, .... WHITE that would do it. What a great idea, right i'm off to the manufacturer to get some quotes.

Tarman
23rd Mar 2011, 08:38
We had a message left on the office answerphone from a guy in the local council referring to a " road traffic incident" regarding one of our vans (reg no quoted) at a certain time and location.

I called the driver and asked him for details before I called the council, he was unaware of any incident, so I called the number left on the machine.

It turns out that the driver had been spotted by 2 Street Wardens "smoking" behind the wheel of the van and was liable for a £60 spot fine. If he paid up without question it would be reduced to £30.

The driver was in the vehicle alone at the time and was "smoking" a plastic stick that helps smokers to kick the habit.

There was no "alleged" or "innocent until proven guilty". Their attitude was "you have been seen by more than one warden therefore you are guilty".

Subsequent discussions with the local newsagent revealed that the same wardens had followed an old boy into his shop one morning and fined him £50 for dropping litter. Turns out his monogrammed handkerchief had fallen out of his pocket when he had taken his wallet out.

The fine stood.

I thought councils were there to empty your bins, cut your grass and fix the roads !! :ugh:

Tarman

NutLoose
23rd Mar 2011, 08:51
Another so-called regulation that makes me laugh is having to use four-way flashers when you drive a vehicle airside.

And of course if the said truck then breaks down, the only way of signalling the fact to the tower is to turn them off........ really handy at night!!

On the likes of Luton, the one person not used to being airside and all that entails hazards wise ,hence probably creating the greatest potential problem is the Passenger embarking or disembarking the aircraft, I don't see them having to put one on, perhaps having a jobsworth positioned at the terminal and aircraft door with a 4 inch brush and a pot of fluorescent yellow paint to daub a stripe down the said passengers as they embarked / disembarked would suffice....;)

pasptoo
23rd Mar 2011, 10:11
Some friends landed their helo and taxied to the hangar apron, where they shut down, got out, wearing bright orange flight suits, and walked into the hangar complex. On arrival in the ops room the telephone rang.

Twr: Could I speak to the Capt of Landed Helo please?

Capt: Yes, speaking.

Twr: You know you should be wearing your Hi-Viz jackets when walking from the aircraft and on the apron?

Capt: Yes, apologies, I understand, but how did you know we were not wearing them?

Twr: Oh, we saw you from the Tower!

Surely the purpose of the Hi-Viz jacket is to be seen? If the Tower could see them over 500m away without jackets, then they are surely visible – no? :ugh:

Brilliant Stuff
23rd Mar 2011, 10:51
I always understood if the responsible person (Pilot) wears the jacket his passengers are not required to wear any.

Impress to inflate
23rd Mar 2011, 11:08
My problem with them is taking them off and putting them on. This is done under the head (sometimes with rotors turning). My greatest fear is these light weight, synthetic sods blowing away and going through the disk or entering the engine. Another problem is the only place to store them is in the dock pocket. On landing, I open the door to cool down and "wham" bright yellow FOD buzzing around. Surly some reflective tape sewn into uniform flight suits around the wrists and ankles would be better.

ITI

J.A.F.O.
23rd Mar 2011, 13:20
TOT

How many times have you visited Caernarvon before? It's almost worth sending the £25 to the CEO of the operating company with a note saying - herewith payment for the fine re hi-vis. I have visited Caernarvon XXX times in the past XXX years and will now no longer do so hence you have lost XXX in landing fees.

Otherwise just ignore it or tell them you were wearing it, just not as the top layer of clothing.