PDA

View Full Version : Iris Scanning - UK

TRC
21st Mar 2011, 13:36
Has this scheme been discontinued?

I have been trying to renew my scan, but for the last six months or more the relevant offices at both LHR and LGW have been closed.

What's more, all the offices display an identical notice that says "Closed indefinately due to unforeseen circumstances".

Sits back and waits for the puns about iris and unforeseen...

Manchikeri
21st Mar 2011, 14:12
Because of the current government's swingeing budget cuts Ms Scanning has probably been made redundant.

herman the crab
21st Mar 2011, 15:43
I tried to sign up for this on my last trip home to the USA but T3 at LHR was also closed.

According to the 6 members of immigration staff nearby (having a good laugh over coffee) it was due to staff shortages...

Haven't a clue
22nd Mar 2011, 06:20
I visited the IRIS office at LGW North at the end of January which was manned and open.

I keep failing to persuade IRIS I am who I am so I wanted to check whether I was still registered. They suggested I try the new picture comparison machine, which I did on the way back and that worked perfectly. Maybe IRIS is to be phased out in favour of this new system?

(I'd really like them to introduce a fingerprint scan like I use when entering or leaving HK - that is damn quick)

cherrycoke
22nd Mar 2011, 12:58
In the last year coming back to UK through both Heathrow and Gatwick, there are signs up saying "IRIS is closed today". Even though it's not, and I walked through it fine.

In T5 in October I went to check I was still registered and two of the surliest, most humourless people I've ever been dealt with by in my life, handled my query efficiently, whilst at the same time ensuring I never wanted to do it again. EVER!

SwissRef
22nd Mar 2011, 13:10
When I got my iris scanning done about a year ago, they said it was being phased out due to lack of uptake.

I pointed out the offices were almost always shut, so it was hard to sign up - I had been trying for several years!

Then 1 other person joined the "queue". what happened - they shut the door, due to being "over-whelmed".

Most the security staff in there were sitting around texting and chatting.

So - why did it fail? Lack of take up, due to lack of demand, or due to lack of take-up due to unavailability of the offices to sign up?

Or is it because of the face recognition?

TRC
24th Mar 2011, 00:56
Thanks for all the replies. I'll see how it goes at LHR next week.

wiggy
24th Mar 2011, 08:05
There does seem to be a lack of interest ( one/both of the gates are now often inop at LHR T5) but I wonder if the chipped passports and facial recognition has rendered it redundant.

( BTW anyone know why, often as not, the IRIS machines seem to sense your height incorrectly and you end up bending down to look through the lower scanner)

GANNET FAN
24th Mar 2011, 09:05
The office was open for business late December last year in T5. I had mine eyes checked with the system and all was well. But I couldn't get the bloody thing to read my eyes on arrival after a long flight. Even tried pulling my sleepy eyes open with my fingers but that wouldn't work either. I think the trouble is that being 6'4" I have to crouch and that's an effort. So if there is a new method I'm up for it!

skerry
24th Mar 2011, 17:00
I was rejected by the iris scanner at MAN T1 back in December - I've tried twice to visit the office in the terminal there but it always seems to be closed - and earlier this month the scanner itself was posted as out of action. I too had to crouch to get it to work, but at least it was a fairly quick system. The missus used the face recognition/chipped passport booth this week and thought it was horribly slow. :confused:

G-ARZG
24th Mar 2011, 17:46
IRIS
It Rarely Is Serviceable

herman the crab
24th Mar 2011, 17:52
I shall also try again tomorrow at T3...

herman the crab
25th Mar 2011, 07:51
LHR T3 Closed for refurbishment for 3 week from 24th January 2011... still shut this morning :(

TRC
25th Mar 2011, 21:22
Seems like they're coming up with cock& bull excuses rather than just saying that it's coming to and end and being replaced by other things.

HandyAndy
29th Mar 2011, 06:32
(I'd really like them to introduce a fingerprint scan like I use when entering or leaving HK - that is damn quick)

Absolutely "Haven't a clue", I can be through HK Immigration on average in less than 30secs. Excellent system.:ok:

It would probably mean having a UK ID Card but I don't have a problem with that.

Manchikeri
29th Mar 2011, 08:17
I have a UK National Identity Card.

Thanks to the pusillanimity and cheeseparing attitudes of the current government all it is fit for is scraping the ice off my car's windscreen.

Meanwhile, the rest of the EU laughs at us for not having the guts or the gumption to recognise what was innately an excellent idea.

crippen
29th Mar 2011, 12:59
Iridology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iridology)

Irises,Iria?? can change shape due to illness and/or tiredness(alledgely) !:uhoh: