PDA

View Full Version : New Qantas Pax Safety Video With John Travolta.

airsupport
21st Mar 2011, 09:10
Qantas have produced a new passenger safety briefing video which is introduced by John Travolta dressed in his Qantas uniform, he only introduces it then tells you to watch.

I just watched it on one of our news sites and I can see no problem with it.

It has apparently copped a lot of flak from some Qantas Flight Attendants.

Now while I can understand some of them may not like it, surely the aim of the video is to brief the pax on what to do in an emergency, and I know after spending a Lifetime flying all over the World NOT many pax usually watch these things at all, however I honestly believe many more will watch this new Qantas one.

In fact IF it is legal, for the sake of safety on board, I think John Travolta should do the whole video. :ok:

PAXboy
21st Mar 2011, 13:12
I cannot see why FAs might not like this. Perhaps it's one of those things when, a person doing a particular job can see detail that the regular person does not. I know that, in my job, I have commented on a detail to another observer and they were entirely unaware of what I was referring to. This is not once but constantly.

My only query is that - I would want to be watching that ON an A380, so I could see if you really did have that much space between the rows in Y. :E

I know that, in these videos, they tend to 'move' or 'fade out' the other rows, so as to be able to provide a close up perspective of the pax in their three seats BUT, I would argue that this makes it unrepresentative of what it will really look like. But, we have discussed in here before that no carrier is going to give even an inkling about that.

Manchikeri
21st Mar 2011, 14:14
What happened to the earlier thread on this subject with its attached video of the announcement? It was here less than twelve hours ago.

PAXboy
21st Mar 2011, 14:56
The link has been removed, which is not unreasonable. The link may have been to a private source, rather than public.

TightSlot
21st Mar 2011, 15:38
The original thread was deleted by the OP

airsupport
21st Mar 2011, 19:11
NO sinister reason for either thing, I tried every way I could think of to change the title as I left John Travolta out of the title, but I couldn't so I eventually deleted it (as it had no replies) and started a new thread, then I just forgot about the video, sorry..............

Captain Travolta's video angers flight crew | thetelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/captain-travoltas-video-angers-flight-crew/story-e6freuy9-1226024591019)

ExXB
21st Mar 2011, 20:21
Some people just don't like John Revolting ... I'm surprised that an Australian airline feels it's appropriate to use him as their 'spokesman'. Sends the wrong message (at least to me).

airsupport
21st Mar 2011, 21:39
Obviously you do not like him, that is up to you, although there is no need to call him that.

He is very well liked here in Australia, and is a fantastic Ambassador and Spokesman for Qantas already. :ok:

He promotes Qantas all over the World, and although not endorsed on any of their current types he has done Qantas Pilot training, hence the uniform, and whenever he visits Australia, a lot lately, he flies over here in his own private Boeing 707 in Qantas colours.

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/airsupport/trav1.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/airsupport/trav2.jpg

http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/airsupport/trav3.jpg

With regards the new on board safety video, a lot of Qantas Flight Attendants and Pilots are saying one of them should do it, in particular many say (I forget his name) the one they call the Hero Pilot from that A380 out of SIN.

However while he may well deserve to do it, IF the idea is to get pax to watch the video, which it certainly should be, then I believe John Travolta IS the right choice. :ok:

PAXboy
21st Mar 2011, 22:33
Any carrier that had the undying support of an international film and singing star, who paints his private jet in THEIR colours?

It gives the carrier a publicity edge that no one else can. All carriers have staff and pilots doing the worthy thing (as they have at the end of the video) but they had Travolta stand in front of a 'green screen' in the USA and tell all the pax (and the world) what a wonderful airline Qantas are.

It does not matter what some people think!!! Marketing directors around the world would sell, not just their grandmothers, but their entire family without a moments thought. (Almost) every company wants someone like to Travolta to be the 'brand ambassador' and they pay the person millions to get them. Irrespective of what the deal is - he's worth it. I'm not saying that I approve of this, or have any opinion about it, simply that they could NOT do otherwise.

bugg smasher
21st Mar 2011, 23:25
John Travolta Under Fire for 'Cheesy' Quantas Airline Video - MOVIE TALK on Yahoo! Movies (http://blog.movies.yahoo.com/blog/958-john-travolta-under-fire-for-cheesy-quantas-airline-video)

John, if you want to be taken seriously as an airline pilot, then you need to go out there, get all of your pro tickets together, and slug it out, with the rest of us, day after day, in bad weather, with broken airplanes, for low pay, and everything else big and small that makes an ordinary pilot into a proficient airliner driver, not to mention the enormous responsibility that entails.

I object, in the strongest of terms. Make you a deal friend, stay clear of the heavy iron, and I'll promise not to take up an acting career. Will even pay to watch your movies.

Seriously.

airsupport
22nd Mar 2011, 00:28
He is NOT a Line Pilot with Qantas, never has been and never will be, he pilots his own B707 all over the World, and he is an Ambassador and Spokesman for Qantas. :ok:

At least he can spell QANTAS............. ;)

PAXboy
23rd Mar 2011, 10:43
In Australian, the topic continues:

The Australian Telegraph quotes one member retaliating to the video, saying: "We feel it's demeaning to be called 'the team',” “It makes us feel like we work at McDonald's.”

Instead, flight attendants would reportedly prefer to be called 'cabin crew members' or 'flight attendants'. "The whole thing seems to make the safety message seem trite," another employee added.

So there's one explanation of why they don't like it and I am not without sympathy for their view, but it's called Marketing.

Load Toad
23rd Mar 2011, 10:59
He's a flying enthusiast, respected as a 'decent bloke', likes Qantas, promotes them, does something that might get numpties actually watching the safety vid - and this is a problem?

Strewth. Grow up, if you are going to get sh1tty aim at something worth the effort.

airsupport
23rd Mar 2011, 11:01
Yes they do NOT want to be called part of the Team, but part of the Crew.

The irony of that though is..............

(Quote)

crew member

front counter

On front counter, you’ll be working as the face of McDonald’s. It’s here where you’ll meet and interact with hundreds of people every day. You’ll get to serve all of our customers with “good food, fast”, and make sure that they always walk away satisfied

(Endquote)

At McDonalds they ARE called Crew Members. ;)

As far as I am corcerned it all comes down to what is the new video for, it is a safety briefing for pax prior to take off, NOT for the benefit of the Crew/Team whatever, and I am SURE more pax will pay attention when they hear and see John Travolta, rather than just another F/A or Pilot. :ok:

airsupport
23rd Mar 2011, 11:05
He's a flying enthusiast, respected as a 'decent bloke', likes Qantas, promotes them, does something that might get numpties actually watching the safety vid

Exactly.......... :ok: