PDA

View Full Version : Courses run by airlines for nervous flyers?

Natalie81
20th Mar 2011, 19:10
Hi All,

Firstly hope I am posting in the right forum, its the only one I found that covered passengers.

I have looked through the topics but couldn't find one that specifically answered my questions so I thought I would post a new topic. Apologies!

I am 29, and since the age of about 2 I have been flying - both long haul and short. I have taken countless flights and often have to travel for work. I have never been comfortable with take off, but thats was about it. It was more about the speed in which it all happens. It's never been an issue.

However in November I endured a horrible flight with lots of turbulence - and didn't recieve any reassurance when I asked Cabin Crew. I had even said "I know I am being silly....". The whole trip was horrible (it was only an hour flight) and I certainely did feel like the plane 'dropped' a few thousand feet for a few seconds...maybe I was imagining it, I don't know but it wasn't a nice feeling...

Anyway, I have caught 4 flights since and each time I have felt like I was having an internal panic attack. Everything part of me screamed for me to get off it, but I forced myself to remain calm and face any irrational fears head on. Luckily all flights since my bad experience have been very short, but i have sat throughout the journey on edge. Listening to every sound the engine makes, any slight movement out of the ordinary and I start panicking and find myself fearing the worst. Its really quite irrational.

I have tried just about every method, keeping calm, learning about how planes work (which just made it worse!) reminding myself its a safe way to travel, and the fact that the staff all travel daily on areoplanes. But nothing is helping me! It's actually quite embaressing as I am a pretty calm and rational person...

I am aware I am being really silly - but are there any suggestions anyone has that could help me deal with this new fear I have developed over the past 6 months? I was told several airlines hold courses to help people such as myself. I really would like to deal with this before it escalates and before i have to catch a 12 hour flight!

Thanks in advance and really sorry for going on. I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

BTNH
20th Mar 2011, 23:45
I think you can get a course from BA (if they still do it).

Chuchinchow
20th Mar 2011, 23:57
Hello Natalie81, and welcome to the boards!

Clearly, you are not the only person feeling this way. Why don't you read Sloppy Joe (no. 16) http://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/440316-looking-answers-please.html#post6199180 for an exhaustive response to your question?

I do hope this helps.

PAXboy
21st Mar 2011, 00:42
Hi Natalie81 and welcome to our cabin. :)

It is no great comfort to know that you are in a larger group than you think - but you are. Many folks have found their view of flight ruined by one experience. My horrible experience was on a small fishing boat and I don't go on water any more, unless there is no alternative. So I always hope that I do not get a similar experience about air travel which I love.

I certainly had a very badly turbulent flight many years ago in an older turbo prop aircraft that could not climb over the bad weather. But nothing that bad since. I know that people telling you 'it will be all right' is meaningless'.

Whilst researching the BA thing, there are books and DVDs to get you started. I just went to a popular UK on line book shop [no names here as it would be a free advert] but ANY online bookshop will have a whole range. I used the two words 'nervous flyer' and got numerous responses. Perhaps buy one second hand that begins to explain the physical process' by which an aircraft flies and the design considerations.

For example, the wings are designed to flex in the air and may do so more visibly when there is rough air outside. By flexing, they absorb the bumps and adjust to the different air pressure, as a tall building is designed to sway in the wind, so as to absorb the pressure. If rigid - it would snap. If I recall correctly,wings are tested to something like 50% more than the pressure they will experience (I sit to be corrected) but it can be knowing things like that which help to see the aircraft doing it's job in the way that it was designed.

Passengers are often concerned that 'the engine was surging - revving up and then down', that is also to be expected when air pressure changes rapidly and a member of flight crew will probably stop in to this thread and give the actual reasons why.

In the past 30 years, airline marketing departments have universally decided not to tell people how aircraft work. They just concentrate on that banal phrase, 'So, just sit back, relax and enjoy ...' whilst you are stopping yourself from screaming out loud!!

Do ask any more questions in here and search the archive for particular words and phrases.

jackieofalltrades
21st Mar 2011, 13:26
I know Virgin Atlantic run a very good course. (I'm no way connected with Virgin btw) If you're interested in taking a course to help you cope with your fear of flying, this would be highly recommended.
Virgin Atlantic helps with your Fear of Flying (http://www.flyingwithoutfear.info/flying_why.htm)

mixture
21st Mar 2011, 16:46
Have sent you a PM Natalie81.

mixture
21st Mar 2011, 16:53
If I recall correctly,wings are tested to something like 50% more than the pressure they will experience (I sit to be corrected)

I think you'll find you missed a 1..... as in 150%. :cool:

I have also sent you a little youtube link showing an Airbus load test taking place that would not really be appropriate to post on this particular thread.

PAXboy
21st Mar 2011, 19:40
Thanks for that mixture, what I meant by "50% more than the pressure" was: if the maximum loaded expected in service is 100%, then the wing must be able to take at least 50% more than that, so 150% would indeed be another way to write it!!

Many thanks for the interesting link, which led on to many other links of testing.