PDA

View Full Version : Double engine failure on German Chancellor's helicopter

tecpilot
20th Mar 2011, 06:51
On the flight in FL50 the german chancellor helicopter happened a double engine failure. Both engines of the nearly new AS 332 Superpuma failed. The crew autorotated short to surface until they were able to re-start the engines. Reactions by the onboard chancellor Mrs. Merkel are unknown.

Hectic Investigations on full run.

helihub
20th Mar 2011, 07:15
Occurrence was Wednesday 16-Mar-11 for this AS532U2 incident

tecpilot
20th Mar 2011, 07:29
According to my infos it was not a AS532U2. There are only 3 AS532U2 operated by the GAF in Germany. The incident happened with a Federal Police (former Border Guard) helicopter and they don't operate Cougars. They use AS 332 L1 as VIP ship.

The involved helicopter was delivered by EC to the FedP in December 2010, just 3 months before.

eivissa
20th Mar 2011, 11:05
"the pilots activated the "autorotation system", which disconnects the unpowered mainrotor from the gearbox"

Well done chaps :ok:

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2011, 12:01
Good job they found the autorotation switch in time.

sycamore
20th Mar 2011, 15:57
Note to Wastelands...quick,sell her a Merlin...

hueyracer
20th Mar 2011, 18:33
The chancellor was not on board when the incident happened-the helicopter was already on its´way back after dropping the passengers..

What makes me wondering:

They have a DOUBLE engine failure-and then restart the engines, and continue to fly to the next airport?

That must be misunderstood by the press, right?

After an emergency like that, i am convinced that each checklist will say "land asap"...

TRC
20th Mar 2011, 18:38
..... not a switch but a big handwheel

Like this one from a Mi-1?

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/teeo1/P1170133.jpg

Savoia
20th Mar 2011, 19:09
ST, UL, TRC: Too funny - lol!

More than likely it was one of the Bundesgrenzschutz ships.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYZPUfabmAI/AAAAAAAACQk/ku1iUMSzqPo/AS332L1%20Zurich%20Jan%2005%20%7BBalazs%20Pinter%7D.jpg

S.

skadi
20th Mar 2011, 20:16
@hueyracer
What makes me wondering:

They have a DOUBLE engine failure-and then restart the engines, and continue to fly to the next airport?

That must be misunderstood by the press, right?

After an emergency like that, i am convinced that each checklist will say "land asap"...

It was 9pm, so already dark night...
maybe they caught some ice?

skadi

212man
20th Mar 2011, 20:29
Sounds reminiscent of the BHL incident a few years ago with Dougal - winter, FL50, relight lower down....

krypton_john
20th Mar 2011, 22:21
TRC, that is the PPEBS (Proletariat Powered Engine Backup System). In an engine failure, peasants take turns to crank this wheel which drives the main gearbox. As each peasant expires they are thrown out to lighten the load.

PANews
21st Mar 2011, 00:08
From the supposed delivery date it may be D-HEGM an AS.332L1 delivered last year [and therefore never carrying the Bundesgrenzshutz logo, they have been the Federal Police for ages and changed their earlier fleet for the AS332L1].

You can still see the BGS name in museums [and in Pprune pictures of course] and there is a reminder in the street address of their main base .... Bundesgrenzschutzstrasse 100, 53757 St Augustin.

tecpilot
21st Mar 2011, 07:40
D-HEGM s/n 2774 is the involved ship.

Back to basics.
Can someone explain the way of engine de-icing on a 332? Additionally the ship is fitted with barrier filters, that may be also a reason for the failures.

Engine failure due to icing or a big lapse by the crew seems to be clear, the ship departed a short time later from the airfield back to his base. No big maintenance action took part. Sounds like the reason was determined quickly.

Brilliant Stuff
21st Mar 2011, 09:55
PAnws yes it was D-HEGM and yes snow was involved.

Suffice it to say that the pilots had two very big Guardian Angels flying formation.

I, for one am very glad this one ended in nothing worse than bruised egos and some soiled under-garments.:ok:

Savoia
21st Mar 2011, 10:25
PANews: I hope this makes you infinitely happier.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYcmNVfQvrI/AAAAAAAACRI/R4ljuBC06Dc/AS332M1SP%20Saarbrucken%2C%20Germany%203%20Dec%202010%20%28M atthias%20Becker%29.jpg
Bundespolizei AS332M1 SuperPuma at Saarbrücken on 3rd December 2010. (Photo: Matthias Becker)

S.

ShyTorque
21st Mar 2011, 11:04
Suffice it to say that the pilots had two very big Guardian angles flying formation.

So that's how it hit the press. The Guardian often comes up with some very strange angles and this was no exception. What's more, they obviously weren't right angles.

:)

500e
21st Mar 2011, 11:32
Um Lifting
What is the beer can on bulk head for, left over from the no handle model.

TRC
21st Mar 2011, 11:47
What is the beer can on bulk head for....

The beer is a reward for the pilot for successfully engaging the PPEBS. If he fails to get all the levers, pedals, handwheels, etc arranged in an eye-pleasing fashion in time, he doesn't get the beer. A simple and effective method.

It's actually a home-made lampshade to replace the original that was broken eons ago. Every Polish locomotive (sorry, I mean Mil-1) I've ever driven has a beer can lampshade on every light in the cab. Carefully cut holes illuminate the bit that needs it without scattering light all over the place. Quite clever really.

toptobottom
21st Mar 2011, 13:33
I've attached this wheel handle on the Robinsons at our school. Works a treat - now students can turn on the auto-rotation system twice as fast. I'm amazed Robinson doesn't factory fit these as standard. Only £4.99 from Halfords and should get EASA approval this summer :ok:

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/774992.jpg

Ian Corrigible
21st Mar 2011, 14:47
All this talk about a handwheel to turn the rotor is just plain stupid.

Everyone knows that's what the pedals are for.

:E

I/C

Fake Sealion
21st Mar 2011, 15:03
I've attached this wheel handle on the Robinsons at our school. Works a treat - now students can turn on the auto-rotation system twice as fast. I'm amazed Robinson doesn't factory fit these as standard. Only £4.99 from Halfords and should get EASA approval this summer

Halfords eh? This is obviously a new departure for Robinson. Odd mechanical devices used to be the manufactured with their joint venture partners, Heath Ltd

ironchefflay
22nd Mar 2011, 01:49
wonder if its one of the ex-CHC 332's we off loaded sorry, sold, to them a couple of years ago?

rotorfan
22nd Mar 2011, 07:13
I don't have any time on turbine types, but I've observed many start up. Obviously, it's not an instant start. How long would it likely take to relight the engines while on the way down, and get them to producing useful power? I'm guessing the 332 in auto comes down about 2000 feet/min, or more, so it seems there might be minimal time to get a restart and check the descent. Serious pucker factor, I would imagine.:eek:

pumaboy
22nd Mar 2011, 08:26
wonder if its one of the ex-CHC 332's we off loaded sorry, sold, to them a couple of years ago? It was as report suggest a new build AS332L1 delivered from EC last December and not a ex CHC machine:ugh:

hotzenplotz
22nd Mar 2011, 08:46
The machine involved seems to be a AS-332 L1, not a M1.

Can somebody give me some info about that "multipurpose engine air intakes (anti-sand and anti-ice filters)"? How likely is it to get it blocked in snow? Sounds like there must have been a lot of snow.

edit: I found it. Interesting system.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/773/multipurposeengineairin.jpg

ironchefflay
22nd Mar 2011, 19:09
It was as report suggest a new build AS332L1 delivered from EC last December and not a ex CHC machine:ugh:

Alright, calm down. it was just a joke, or at least a light hearted comment! i forgot that they are not welcome on here!

PS, i didnt read the report. they are normally full of rubbish and innacurate, with little attention to detail, much like the reports on tv talking about Tornado raids on libya and showing Typhoons or vice versa.