PDA

View Full Version : Brainfarts....gotta hate em

blackdog7
20th Mar 2011, 01:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ZrUm3QweE

(Nothing until 2:20 if you want to fast forward)

SASless
20th Mar 2011, 02:43
Brain Fart???

More like a fit of Dumbass!:oh:

When I first started the video....my very first thought was..."I bet you there is a field next to the road!":uhoh:

I have been in that exact situation....nice field separated from the road by a fence and ditch....neither of which is a real barrier to enthusiastic Fire Fighters with bolt cutters and strong backs.....but....what the heck...let's make it easy for the Ground Units.:(

Our guy probably wishes he had merely shifted left into the field BEFORE swinging the tail!:E

Senior Pilot
20th Mar 2011, 02:49
My first thoughts were along the lines of: how did he get in there in the first place?

Second thought was: how much is the actual clearance, given that the video was shot in 16:9 but is showing in 4:3, thus distorting the image and the lateral distance?

:hmm:

rjtjrt
20th Mar 2011, 03:07
Main rotors nearly missed but lucky they didn't miss, in one way.
If the mains had just cleared seems to be a strong possibility would have been a tail rotor strike.

Adam Nams
20th Mar 2011, 03:26
Brainfarts....gotta hate em

Crewmen .... gotta have em :ok:

Flyting
20th Mar 2011, 07:39
What did Mrs Gump say.... "Stupid is as stupid does..."
When ever I see someone with a video camera at a takeoff site, I go into over-drive mode of "WHAT COULD GO WRONG NOW" because I don't a video of me doing something stupid posted anywhere...

:ok: :ok: - Double thumbs up...

I don't know the emergency proceedures on that machine but why do a normal engine rundown after a strike??? Why not pull the EMERGENCY cut off and stop things from turning ASAP before it turns into a wreck?

bb in ca
20th Mar 2011, 08:11
If they had more power then that those Allison 250-C30S engines can produce I bet you they wouldn't have made a pedal turn and they would have gotten away with it.

I'm very happy to see that there weren't any injuries.

Time to retire the 76A fleet for dedicated air ambulance operations? I think so. The C+'s will be better but it's a shame that they're not going with C++'s.

Thud_and_Blunder
20th Mar 2011, 09:33
Very useful video, thanks. Added that to this morning's crew brief under the "aircraft emergency" and "CRM" discussion headings.

Bertie Thruster
20th Mar 2011, 09:59
Looks like intentional use of the (stronger) main rotor blades to cut that pesky wire before a (weaker) tail rotor blade hits it and kills everybody.

mickjoebill
20th Mar 2011, 10:23
Given that air ambulances land in tight spaces, should extra care be taken to move emergency ground crews who have responded to the scene, back or behind cover as the air ambulance departs?

Not possible to do this on landing as ground crews are usually busy with casualties, but we freqiently see a line up of emergency service workers unneccessariy close to tricky takes offs for no other reason than to get a good view.

Mickjoebill

ShyTorque
20th Mar 2011, 12:06
I prefer to get out and have look around after I've landed off helipad.

You know, for wires and stuff.....

wright123
20th Mar 2011, 12:32
They cant have watched the green cross code tv adverts - look left and look right.

Might have been better to transport the patient in the road ambulance infront to a more suitable landing area further down the road, as it looked a bit tight for the S76. (might have been tight for anyone doing a pedal turn!)

I know an ex CRM instructor who added a similar experience he'd had into a CRM class about landing in a very tight area in the UK down south on a casevac, and the nearby house gutterings were all blown down by the downdraft, and the job wasnt a life saver.

That S76 video will be a good lesson for any CRM class.

Bertie Thruster
20th Mar 2011, 13:34
I removed the slightly offensive comment on my previous post for, as SASless noted...we have all been down this road.

rotornut
20th Mar 2011, 14:11
What about the blades? Could be a very expensive lesson.

Savoia
20th Mar 2011, 15:11
What about the blades? Could be a very expensive lesson.

No lesson in which everyone remains alive and uninjured is expensive.

I've got to admit though that having had the luxury of shutting down, and therefore able to carefully survey one's egress, .. it is slightly amazing that one would do this.

Fully concur however that we are all capable of it.

S.

griffothefog
20th Mar 2011, 16:22
My guess is he made his initial approach to the field left of picture and decided to plonk it roadside to ???? Look cool?/Help paramedics....

Who cares.... But to pedal turn on departure into the tight zone, well F**k me that was a surprise.....

P60 imminent if it was in the UK :p

If there is no icing clearance for that type why would you utilise such a large type for primary tasking??????? :{

Thud_and_Blunder
20th Mar 2011, 17:26
griffo - you've been enjoying the delights of OM-country for too long! P60 comes out every year for those of us lucky enough to have a job, it's the P45 you don't want dropping on the doormat.

B.U.D.G.I.E
20th Mar 2011, 17:29
How on earth did he ( assuming it was a he) get it in there in the first place. Did the conversation "bloody hell that was tight, must watch out for them wires on the way out " not happen after shut down. :ugh:

griffothefog
20th Mar 2011, 17:33
Holy crap...

Thanks for the correction, I am truly happy to be out of the big squeeze :ok:

P60/45, the grey cells are shot :{

Again, why the big buggy for primary work??

Even with the Bolkow I managed to hit a couple of Cornish hedges !! :eek: