PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the guru's

Zeppelin
19th Mar 2011, 23:36
A couple of months ago purchased a new laptop running Win 7.

Initially everything loading quickly, though naturally added a few programs and things have slowed... not massively but noticeably so questions are..

1. Something is slowing the loading of start up and pages on internet, is there a way of knowing what it is?

2.I recently upgraded to IE9 and thought this coincided with the problem. Previously on xp if you wanted to restore there was a choice going back maybe 3 months, on win 7 it only gives about 4 days, am i missing something?

3. I've been into 'action centre'> maintanance and check for solutions and always get ' ms will notify when a solution is found'. Does this mean my problems are unique!?

4. Sometimes when I open a window it is minimized and I have to use the expand icon, is there a way of always making a window full screen on opening?

Finally, sorry guys! In outlook 2010, I have the boxs ticked so that it checks for emails every 5 mins and is meant to notify me when an email is incoming (offline and online) however when outlook is minimized nothing seems to happen as when it is reopened suddenly there are 10 emails . My thinking was that as each email is recieved it would notify. I do have a sound alert activated.

Any thoughts on my problems? .... Computer related will do for the mo, thanks :}

Mike-Bracknell
20th Mar 2011, 09:39
A couple of months ago purchased a new laptop running Win 7.

Initially everything loading quickly, though naturally added a few programs and things have slowed... not massively but noticeably so questions are..

1. Something is slowing the loading of start up and pages on internet, is there a way of knowing what it is?

Not anything that'll tell you without a little investigative work. However, this investigative work isn't too onerous usually. Basically, a combination of MSCONFIG for startup tweaking, Tools->Manage Add-Ons for Internet Explorer, and a copy of Task Manager / Resource Monitor running should help

2.I recently upgraded to IE9 and thought this coincided with the problem. Previously on xp if you wanted to restore there was a choice going back maybe 3 months, on win 7 it only gives about 4 days, am i missing something?

System Restore is a function of the amount of disk space allocated to it. To change this, go into Control Panel -> System -> System Protection-> Configure.

3. I've been into 'action centre'> maintanance and check for solutions and always get ' ms will notify when a solution is found'. Does this mean my problems are unique!?

Possibly. It mostly means Microsoft haven't managed to investigate and/or write their conclusions to whatever error has triggered the Dr Watson report. It's not something to rely on IMHO.

4. Sometimes when I open a window it is minimized and I have to use the expand icon, is there a way of always making a window full screen on opening?

How do I get a Windows program to always open maximized? (http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_get_a_windows_program_to_always_open_maximized.html )

Finally, sorry guys! In outlook 2010, I have the boxs ticked so that it checks for emails every 5 mins and is meant to notify me when an email is incoming (offline and online) however when outlook is minimized nothing seems to happen as when it is reopened suddenly there are 10 emails . My thinking was that as each email is recieved it would notify. I do have a sound alert activated.

Minimising Outlook won't stop it from doing a send/receive. Have you hidden the envelope icon?
How to restore the Envelope icon in the notification area in Outlook (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292034)

Any thoughts on my problems? .... Computer related will do for the mo, thanks :}

Take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning :)

Mr Optimistic
20th Mar 2011, 10:22
Automatic updates on ? AV downloading updates ? On home network (network discovery or some such thing was apparently a culprit with Vista) ? Increasing impatience with advancing years ?

I recently upgraded to IE9 and thought this coincided with the problem. Previously on xp if you wanted to restore there was a choice going back maybe 3 months, on win 7 it only gives about 4 days, am i missing something?

So does firefox get round this ? Java update ?

I've been into 'action centre'> maintanance and check for solutions and always get ' ms will notify when a solution is found'. Does this mean my problems are unique!?

Nothing wrong with having a sense of humour:)

Used to be bad words about 'journaling' in outlook: someone else may know if this is an issue.

Tarq57
20th Mar 2011, 10:31
IE9 working very nicely on W7 home premium here. Pretty painless installation. It could probably be uninstalled via the control panel, which would be more sensible than attempting system restore.

Stuff that is likely to cause poor performance is all the OEM "stuff" (trial programs, and brand-name "help" programs) installed. Another is the antivirus, depending on what that is or if you've changed it.

vulcanised
20th Mar 2011, 12:43
Do you have anything from Norton, McAfee or Symantec running?

badgerbaitz
20th Mar 2011, 18:49
If you are uncomfortable with getting your hands dirty with the command line and msconfig. You can try this little bit of free software which will clear out your cookies, easy control of start up programs, just an all round little helper.

I've been using it for the best part of two years and was myself advised by a very knowledgeable gent to use it.

CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner)

:ok: