PDA

View Full Version : Travolta Safety Video on Qantas Flights

The Kelpie
19th Mar 2011, 21:27
Captain Travolta's video angers flight crew
LAURA SPERANZA From: The Sunday Telegraph March 20, 2011 12:00AM

A NEW Qantas safety video introduced by Hollywood actor John Travolta has been labelled "cringeworthy" by the airline's flight attendants and pilots, who are annoyed he calls them a "team" instead of a crew.

The three-minute demonstration video, played before take-off on every domestic and long-haul Qantas flight, has angered cabin crew who say a "real pilot" - like Captain Richard de Crespigny, credited with saving 466 lives on the failed QF32 flight from Singapore - should front the message.

The video opens with Travolta, named the airline's ambassador in 2010, dressed in a pilot's uniform and hat, announcing: "This is your captain speaking - well, maybe not today.

"But I can guarantee that the guys on the flight deck and the greater team care just as much about aircraft safety as I do.

"I've been flying over 40 years as a pilot and I can tell you, there's no one I'd rather have at the controls than a Qantas pilot."

Staff have taken to anonymous posts on online chat forums to discuss their dislike of the Travolta video.

They called on Qantas to use Captain de Crespigny.

"Who better than the genuine aviation professionals who saved QF32?," said one Qantas staff member.

One Qantas flight attendant, who did not wish to be named, described the video as "corny" and "tacky".

Flight attendants say they also have a problem with being repeatedly referred to as "the team " - not flight attendants or cabin crew members - in the video.

"We feel it's demeaning to be called "the team", one said. "It makes us feel like we work at McDonald's."

Another staff member said he had expected more from the video in the wake of recent safety disasters.

"The whole thing seems to make the safety message seem trite," he said.

A Qantas spokeswoman said they had received only positive feedback from staff and customers.

"We're really happy with the video and we think it's really engaging," she said.

Aside from the fact that Richard would have had a more positive impact, after all this guy was thrust into the media after QF32 and is now a face associated with safe flying, a mini brand if you like. Travolta is known mainly for his role as a killer in Pulp Fiction! The association with Travolta is out of date.

My belief why his uniform did not, on his recent 90th anniversary trip display any qantas insignia: so that the jetconnect guys could not claim the same wage he was being paid in the FWA case! You know not supposed to be a qantas pilot but wears the uniform and gets paid directly from qantas!!:ok:

Back on topic: the film was obviously made on a budget. I find the film causes more confusion than anything as you try to juggle between watching the film and the FA in the aisle. The film does not cover every detail of the legally required pax brief (eg donning of lifejacket) and you are too focussed on the film to watch the FA demonstrating how to do it. By the time the film finishes the FA has rolled their life jacket up and the detail is missed. By the pax. Next time you are on a flight consciously have a look for yourself and see what I mean.

Also at the end Travolta gets his line wrong (or badly scripted)but either nobody has spotted it or Travolta told them he was not doing another take. The strap line 'enjoy your journey'. Travolta replaces right at he end with Enjoy your flight'!

slamer.
19th Mar 2011, 21:42
Sounds like you need to relax a bit, If thats all you have to worry about at Qantas maybe things arnt that bad after all..?

Im sure Air NZ would use JT in a heartbeat given the opportunity ..Hmmm now theres a thought!

nzavi8or
19th Mar 2011, 21:49
At least it sounds professional in terms of safety talk unlike the AirNZ crass 'Rico' ads on longhaul which they are now replacing due to customer and staff complaints.
Possibly to be replaced with a 'Richard Simmons' aerobics safety video which staff were involved in making earlier in the month, which sounds like it could be just as unprofessional. At least they have put the rugby safety video back on in domestic which was well done and gets good feedback.

Super Cecil
19th Mar 2011, 22:18
Mebe Joe public might actually pay attention to Johhny and take some notice, just watch everybody normally and see what they do during the safety brief. Ole mate who with his crew did such a good job with the 380 but who knows what he looks like and peeble would still take more notice of Johhny Travolta. If it means more folk watch Johnny's brief than with a flight crew pin up boy then it what's wrong with the logic?

TBM-Legend
19th Mar 2011, 22:22
Aren't we sick of people whinging at everything that happens....

Remember the safety message is for the customers not the whining staff....:hmm:

Xcel
19th Mar 2011, 22:25
"it makes us sound like we work for McDonalds"

well actually the don't use the word team either and opt to refer to themselves as crew members. You even have to put in a crew application to join...

Who really cares to be honest... Personally think it was better and more
personalised and professional when these things were done by the actual cabin manager and not just pressing play.

DutchRoll
19th Mar 2011, 22:31
Well, relative to the other problems Qantas has at the moment it is certainly very minor.

I think it's a bit over the top to call it "demeaning", but it is indeed the butt of the odd joke among flight crew. I paxed a sector just recently and swore that if I heard the word "team" one more time my head would explode. It's obviously the favourite word of the scriptwriter.

Ironically one of the complaints I hear most is about the amount of effort QF puts into a new safety demo tape, while the rest of the airline crumbles around it.

There's zero staff engagement, staff cutbacks mean you sit waiting at the gate half the time on arrival for a bridge operator to become available, the planes are becoming outdated fast, half the IFEs don't work properly, labour is being offshored under dodgy arrangements to circumvent Australian labour laws, and management doesn't give a sh*t about any of it.

But hey, we've got a great new safety demo vid.

Tidbinbilla
19th Mar 2011, 22:56
This is supposed to be a site for professional pilots, and issues affecting us as airline pilots.

It's indeed cringeworthy that we now have to put up with cuts from the tabloids on, of all things: pre-recorded PA's.:ugh:

Stuff like this is more appropriate in Crikey.:rolleyes: