PDA

View Full Version : The Cost Of Employee Disengagement and Qantas' Future

AlphaLord
19th Mar 2011, 05:47
Each employee of Qantas is an advertiser.Advertisng the good or bad aspects of the airline at BBQs,dinner parties or in conversations with potential pasengers in other venues.The last seven or eight years these conversations would have been negative.
Each employee can also contibute or not contribute to the profit or cost saving of the business.Perhaps a pilot may decide to have his/her uniform drycleaned after every trip or perhaps after every second trip.Use transport or not.Uplift extra fuel or not.The list is endless when applied to all employees.
Then there are those employees who are so disengaged that they want to damage or sabotage the business.Loading viruses into computers,theft or dliberately breaking equipment so as to impair sytems or protocols.
It is difficult to understand why an employer would so antagonize the workforce that these events would occur.
Qantas seems hell bent on doing so.If this antagonism was intended to force employees to resign then Qantas management have failed.If antagonism and fear is intended to intimidate the workforce then Qantas managment have failed.The vast majority of Qantas employees are not fearful but just plain pissed off.The attrition rate is still low.Employees want to stay to "see the bastards off"
The current pilot EBA negotiations and the senate review do not augur well for management.Passengers are expressing their annoyance by flying with other airlines.Qantas market share is shrinking rapidly.
What is the end game?Run the airline into the ground and into administration.Offer all employees their old jobs back at reduced remuneration and conditions.In so doing rid the airline of its legacy wages and conditions.
Qantas has off shore bases for its Cabin Crew,job sharing for office workers and partime in place for others.Qantas has reduced its wages bill by some 18% over the last seven years and still management is not satisfied.
Management has not been clever with the revenue base.Instead it has chosen to attack wages.The easiest of options.But not one senior executive has had their wages reduced.In fact their sense of entitlement has seen executive remuneration increase dramatically.
The demise of Qantas is an indictment of the apathetic government and a complicit ineffective media.
What will be the outcome of the senate review?
Wiil the government take notice when the airline needs to be bailed out using taxpayers dollars.
Apart from the long suffering passengers and employees does anyone really care?

LAME2
19th Mar 2011, 07:59
Apart from the long suffering passengers and employees does anyone really care?

Outside of aviation (and as a general observation because it could be proven wrong on an individual basis such as Nick Xenophon) no, I don't think they do. They are all too busy with their own "work hassles" trying to keep food on their own table.

BigGun
19th Mar 2011, 08:39
Dont get me started on out sourcing the people who reset our passwords to Indian call centers LOL

BrissySparkyCoit
19th Mar 2011, 08:59
It has just dawned on me over my bottle of coopers.....

The engagement surveys..... these are not being used to gauge how sucessful management are at engaging staff. Quite the opposite.

The surveys are a tool to gauge how well they are doing their job of completely disengaging staff!!!!! The worse the result, the better in managements eyes.

It's sickening to see what these b#*$!&*)s are doing to the company.

breakfastburrito
19th Mar 2011, 10:31
We have a winner... Hat tip BrissySparkyCoit.

Wonderworld
19th Mar 2011, 15:03
Dont get me started on out sourcing the people who reset our passwords to Indian call centers LOL

It's an outrage. I had to get my tty printer reset a month or so ago and ended up first talking to someone in India on a dreadful line. They couldn't fix it or didn't know how, take your pick but I'll wager it was the latter. :ugh:

The lady in India then transferred me to Amadeus in France. All up took about 40 minutes and I ended up fixing it myself while on hold!

BrissySparkyCoit
19th Mar 2011, 15:42
Request:- Restore a deleted lotus notes email sent to me 2 years earlier.

Made Call #1:- Mumbai? 15 minutes. "It's cannot be done sir"

Made Call #2:- Mumbai? 20 minutes. "I cannot restore for a particular time but
I can restore all emails sent from a particular person". Lodged as a service request.

Received a call #3:-Australia! 2 minutes. Exatct email restored.

How is offshoring to India more efficient?

Arnold E
20th Mar 2011, 02:22
Well at least its good to see that you are supporting the only Australian owned (family owned in fact) brewery of any size left in Australia. In fact its probably only one of a hand full of Oz owned firms left in Oz, and they are getting less by the day including in our industry.:(

mach2male
20th Mar 2011, 04:01
Why should we have a yank featured in our safety video?
There are plenty of telegenic Qantas Pilots who could do the job for free.
I still call scientology/hollywood home.What an affront
Management must stay up nights just thinking of ways to piss employees off.
Disengaged ? You betcha
Everything is a resounding success at Qantas until its discovered that it isnt

Keg
20th Mar 2011, 05:09
What's the big deal about John doing the PA? Are we that precious that we worry about who fronts it? At least it has the passengers watching. I do detest of the word 'team' being used 9 times in 2 1/2 minutes though.

PS: Not all of the pilots in that video have my respect. JT does though.

stubby jumbo
20th Mar 2011, 05:30
My general level of disengagement is soooo low that I am too apathetic even to write a comment on this subject (as it has been a favourite of mine for a long time).

Engagement.
JT video..........who gives a ****e !

Non moi :zzz:

airtags
20th Mar 2011, 06:26
Keg
think the issue was that some aspects of the safety demo were left out originally and the Domestic CC are upset about not being acknowledged apart from the word team which is really what this whole thread is about.

After hearing their issues I agree - especially as they say they only saw it for the first time onboard - I would have thought telling them before would have been a given.

Personally, I think the safety video needs to be done with a degree of authority, professionalism and relevance. The international version still is better than JT's.

As long as we don't get Oprah to do the next version or end up with the rap/singing/poetry versions like you sometimes get on SouthWest.

AT :E

Keg
20th Mar 2011, 06:45
airtags, have you seen the Air NZ all blacks safety demo? It's a cracker and I guarantee will have the pax watching.

packrat
20th Mar 2011, 07:12
The domestic beehives strike again
Precious?You better believe it.For these old sheilas its still 1968

qf 1
20th Mar 2011, 07:19
Quote:
Well at least its good to see that you are supporting the only Australian owned (family owned in fact) brewery of any size left in Australia. In fact its probably only one of a hand full of Oz owned firms left in Oz, and they are getting less by the day including in our industry.:(
http://www.pprune.org/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.pprune.org/report.php?p=6318066) http://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.pprune.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=6318066&noquote=1)

hope you are supporting a good independent and not woolies or coles,those bastards are no better

Angle of Attack
20th Mar 2011, 08:30
.Perhaps a pilot may decide to have his/her uniform drycleaned after every trip or perhaps after every second trip

Oh Damn.... Do people actually clean the uniforms after every trip or two? Personally its around 3 months for me, of course I wash the shirts but the pants can have the sniff test and the ties until they are covered with dried food toothpaste before I venture to the dry cleaners! No one ever said i stink yet!

Keg
20th Mar 2011, 09:05
QF pilots don't get free dry cleaning like cabin crew do so we can't chalk up that expense.

caneworm
20th Mar 2011, 09:24
QF pilots don't get free dry cleaning like cabin crew do so we can't chalk up that expense.
Better change accountants keg, I've been claiming (uniform) dry cleaning for years

Di_Vosh
20th Mar 2011, 09:42
Erm,

Claiming dry cleaning on your tax isn't the same as getting it done for free :eek:

DIVOSH!

Keg
20th Mar 2011, 10:43
And it certainly doesn't 'cost' the company which is the point of the original post.

Yep, claim dry cleaning for the uniform off tax.

BrissySparkyCoit
20th Mar 2011, 13:00
hope you are supporting a good independent and not woolies or coles,those bastards are no better

Cellarbrations drive through at the Homestead Taven, Boondall QLD.

I believe Cellarbrations are independantly owned franchises. :ok: