PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

MasonKR
19th Mar 2011, 02:15
I would like to start off asking that I am truly asking for help, I am a young pilot, and am asking many of you on here to help me out with a problem that I am not quite sure how to handle.

I will give you the basics of the situation for I would rather not go to in detail for the obvious reasons. To start out, I am a 180 hour pilot ish. I have my commercial and am working on my CFI one of my former instructors left my school to work for a different company who has a fairly bigger operation as far as schools go. My old instructor just received a new job flying in the ditch, and gave me a very good reference with his employer. They respect him enough I guess for they offered me a job as soon as I finish my CFI which I hope to get in a few weeks.
Now the problem is most of the people who have left my school, seem to burn a bridge just for the fact that they left, even if it was on good terms. I know how close knit this industry is, and I don’t want to get a bad reputation because I left. It truly is a better position for me due to the fact there will be quite a few CFIs at my schools, and not that many students. The place I am looking at averages around 70 to 80 hours a month per CFI.
I hope that my skills will show that I am a good pilot. Now I say that and I know that you all are smirking, but when I say skills, I am not meaning I am God’s gift to aviation, I mealy am stating that I am a safe no risk taking pilot, I do not fly if I don’t get that warm and fuzzy before I leave. I have a lot to learn, and I always have a very attentive ear when it comes to those who try and show me something new. I am not a cocky “I can fly anything cause I fly the R-22” I consider myself very humble, but I am scared that someone may ask where I trained and know the owner, then he may or may not have something to say negative.
What advice do you guys have?

Gordy
19th Mar 2011, 02:20
So are you guaranteed a job where you are at now?

Either way I would say move. I will be honest with you....once you get out of the world of flight schools, no-one will even care less. The world of flight school is not as tight knit as you think.

MasonKR
19th Mar 2011, 02:31
Gordy,

Yes, I have talked with both the chief pilot, as well as the owner. They both said that they have discussed it, and they trust the opinion of this flight instructor enough that they are willing to take a chance with me. I consider myself very fortunate either way I go, just trying to to the right thing, well the best I can without stepping on anyones toes.

Gordy
19th Mar 2011, 02:37
I meant do you have a job where you are training? Not that it matters.

In reality, did those that left burn a bridge with the school or was it the other way round? I would not want to work for a company that could not remain friends etc with former employees. I suspect you already know the answer....

Good luck at the new school.

MasonKR
19th Mar 2011, 04:54
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question.

But no I do not currently have have a job with this school.

I guess I never thought of it the other way around. The other guys I know have all left and now have good jobs all over the world. Thanks for the advice

helopat
22nd Mar 2011, 21:50
My advice:

1. Keep quiet about the other job with the school
2. Finish your instructor rating
3. Take the job thats been offered by the other company

If, in the meantime, the school offers you a job, say you're considering it. Still complete the CFI first then make a decision. I think you'd be crazy not to take a punt at the job that has been offered.

Loyalty is not that common early in the industry and companies realise that guys are always looking to advance in the industry. That being said, "don't crap where you eat". You never want to burn bridges...better to leave on good terms.

Hope this helps.

HP

krypton_john
22nd Mar 2011, 21:56
I don't get it. If you are paying school #1 a fortune to train with them, why should you be expected to be 'loyal' to them? It ought to be the other way round, surely?

If someone offers you a job I would expect they would be delighted for you. Turning out an employable pilot is a good look for them.