View Full Version : EK Nuclear silence

fourgolds
18th Mar 2011, 08:09
So why no communication from our flight opps spin doctors about the nuclear issue in Japan ? with many airlines , suspending flights , or not allowing crew layovers in NRT , or continuing on to KIX via NRT for the layovers etc etc etc . Seems opps normal at EK ( 72hr layovers ( on a monday) in NRT apparently no problem). The usual PR stuff about raising charity moneys , etc . But what about the operational aspect ? Sure they are on a gold mine there with the numbers wanting to leave Tokyo. But what about extended layover periods and the exposure risks to your people? NRT is 190 km from Fukushima.

I reckon watch this space as the 380,s are sent in daily ( if not double daily)to mine more gold . Cmon EK these are peoples lives you ( and other airlines are gambling with) .If its the absence of info or unreliability of sources etc then Err on the side of safety , at least allow the NRT flights to continue to KIX for the overnights. Give the troops in the field some info. Show some leadership .

fatbus
18th Mar 2011, 08:21
There was an update on the portal

halas
18th Mar 2011, 12:10
From what l understand the layover is in Seoul on the NRT pairing.

There will not be daily or double daily 380 flights. Like Toronto, the slots given out are the best they can hope for for a while.

Why do think they are not daily already?

halas

The Turtle
18th Mar 2011, 14:57
Live in DSO? Man on those few days a year when the winds shift just right, I wonder what we inhale from the incinerators coming from that waste treatment plant....that concerns me more than tokyo

I.R.PIRATE
18th Mar 2011, 15:08
Cost cutting - soon EK wont have to pay utility bills for electricity, as you will all be glowing in the dark.

Luke SkyToddler
18th Mar 2011, 16:45
Peligroso :

The latest radiation reading in Tokyo as of 1000 GMT today is 0.047 microsieverts (not millisieverts). i.e. a gnat's cock higher than typical background levels, and quite a bit less than a jet aircraft is exposed to in normal ops.

Reference, today's Wall Street Journal UPDATE: Tokyo Radiation Tad Higher Than Normal, Still Negligible - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110318-706457.html), and there's a live radiation levels update at altTokyo.com | Tokyo Radiation (http://www.alttokyo.com/tokyo-radiation-2/) .

Yes I'm rostered to go NRT in a couple days, yes I'm nervous and keeping an eye on it - but I'm sorry mate you are talking utter bolleaux to say it's those kind of hazardous levels in Tokyo, or anywhere other than very very close to the reactor itself.

my salami
18th Mar 2011, 17:06
ZAMG - Aktuelle Informationen (http://www.zamg.ac.at/aktuell/index.php?seite=1&artikel=ZAMG_2011-03-18GMT09:52)

Radiation Forecast map ...

fourgolds
19th Mar 2011, 07:55
I think thats exactly the point. There was a communication on the portal , but nothing of relevence ( read it again , the important info is not there).
Media repotrs , food shortages , Food contamination , power outages ( obvious) and many opinions on what is safe exposure or not.
The obvious one is even low doses may become problematic the longer the exposue. So why even risk it ? , err on the side of safety. EK should not allow the 72 hour layover period! Even the 24 hour one they should consider dropping and allowing a through flight to Osaka or elsewhere. Its clear that there is confusion over what is safe and whats not. So why not act on the side on maximium safety until it is clear. Oh I forgot that would cost money off course , and people are disposable as long as the bottom line is met ! Gotta meet those targets , make that money.