PDA

View Full Version : Japanese Fighter Jets Damaged by Tsunami

patrickal
18th Mar 2011, 03:04
Just saw this video. I would imagine saltwater and debris can't be too good for these birds. Anyone want to venture a guess if they are salvageable at all?

Video of fighter jets in mud after tsunami hits Japan Air Force base on Vimeo

Load Toad
18th Mar 2011, 05:19
I think salvaging fighter jets is the least of their worries at the moment.

Geehovah
18th Mar 2011, 06:16
Anything can be salvaged given money. The problem with electric jets is they don't like water and who knows what problems would follow. Time to bring on the attrition buy I'd say.

brokenlink
18th Mar 2011, 11:39
Wonder how the adhesive that is used to bond the wings onto the a/c reacts to salt water as well.

Madbob
18th Mar 2011, 12:01
Obviously the JASDF need to improve their "scramble for survival" times.....:}:}. Surprising thing though is that they didn't have a SOP to do so when the tsunami sirens sounded - 30 minutes granted is not a lot of time but ought to be enough to get some ac (and especially helos) out of harm's way.

Brought back memories of tacevals in the 1980's and usually heralded endex.....:ok:

MB

diginagain
18th Mar 2011, 12:43
Obviously the JASDF need to improve their "scramble for survival" times.....
Didn't the tragic events commence on a Friday afternoon?

Red Line Entry
18th Mar 2011, 14:23
OK, the Mess bar was full, but the groundcrew could have put them all on jacks...

Rigga
18th Mar 2011, 21:46
Change all the digital stuff and avionics, replace all the looming, replace all the contaminated metal and repair all the bent stuff - and there you go! Good as new.

Unlikely to fly again.

Willard Whyte
18th Mar 2011, 22:18
Who gives a ****. Its only a fricking 'plane.

Bigwindy
18th Mar 2011, 22:35
Folks

It's not the damage to the jets we should be worried about here. The personnel and the families of the JASDF who work and live around Matsushima Air Base, as well as all the people in the surrounding area, are what we should be concerned about. From recent experience, they are some of the most professional, hard-working and friendly people I have ever met. My thoughts go out to all the Japanese Service personnel who will be working tirelessly to try and get their wonderful country back on it's feet, and to the wider Japanese population.

Bigwindy

Rigga
18th Mar 2011, 22:42
WW-Well said mate!

SSorry for the Sstutter.