PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat ride on United flight?

UKPPL
12th Feb 2001, 00:17
I think the answer is a definate 'NO' (due to FAA regs)... But does anyone know if United Airlines would allow a visit to the flightdeck/jumpseat ride, on a 747-400 trans-atlantic trip?

Many thanks,

UKPPL.

inverted flatspin
12th Feb 2001, 03:23
Yes at the gate, Absolutley no at any other time.

Captain Numpty
12th Feb 2001, 21:42
UKPPL

Regrettably, Inverted Spin is spot on. FAA regs do not allow any F/D visits or J/S rides fro non-crew/ staff. Silly though this sounds, a very good friend of mine who is a senior Capt with Amercian, was saying that "technically" speaking, even Cabin Crew aren't offically allowed in the F/D below 10,000 Feet, due to the "a busy office environment" on the descent!!! How crazy can you get?

C.N.

Fast Jet Wannabe
13th Feb 2001, 03:26
UKPPL,

I've just arrived back home from a United 763 flight JFK-LHR.

I was impressed by the comfort and service levels in economy. (I must admit that the business and first class cabins didn't look particulary great though!)

As a passenger who always writes to the Captain to ask/plead for a jump seat ride on UK airlines, it seemed unfortunate that I had to remain seated. Still, at least I knew this already and didn't give a letter in on boarding!

My advice for the best flight is to ask for an emergency exit seat, (as they have leg room!) - I asked for a window seat in row 16, and was given 16A (although if you are on a 744 then of course the rows will be different).

One thing which cheered me up when I found out, was that United are the only airline in the world (according to their in-flight mag) which allows passengers to hear full ATC comunications. Tune your audio box to chanel 9. (This feature is "at the Captains discretion" - and indeed, on my outbound flight was only available JUST before take-off, and switched off again before top of decent. However, on the return journey it was made available straight away from when we were still at the gate at JFK, and left on the whole way until we were at the gate at LHR).

After chatting to a rather lovely flight attendant during the cruise she told me that on United even the flight attendants have to phone before hand to gain entry to the flight deck, stating their valid reason for needing access!

P.S. The flight attendant also gave me a "little present" from 1st class just as I got off the plane at JFK! It was a toiletry set. I wouldn't have minded, but she was about 20 years my senior, and I was travelling with 30 of my school friends! :) Needless to say, I was not able to forget about it for the duration of the trip!

Enjoy!

FJW. (Edited for SPG)

[This message has been edited by Fast Jet Wannabe (edited 12 February 2001).]

AMS
13th Feb 2001, 04:00
Hi Guys,

I am FINALLY going to AAA to do my PPL on Friday! (Nervous as hell) I am flying with American, so does this mean no jump ride?? I was told this by anothe F/O for a British Charter..

Anyone else going to be out at AAA at the same time??

Please do post any other advice from your experiences on a State-side PPL!!

Thanks

AMS

Flare_you_fool!
13th Feb 2001, 05:12
AMS,
Sorry no jumpseat on American.
Don't be nervous you should have a great time. If your over 21 then try Pacific Beach one evening. It'll take your mind off the flying for a while if needed. If your not over 21 then Tijuana is but a short border crossing away. I'll leave that for others to enlighten you!!!
Enjoy
FYF

UKPPL
13th Feb 2001, 13:40
Thanks for the feeback guys, situation as I thought.

Never mind, I'll spend the flight reading my CPL distance learning books... which is what I really should be doing anyway !!

Best regards,

UKPPL

SOHCAHTOA
13th Feb 2001, 21:24
The definitive answers:

1)Jumpseat- most definitely no. This is an FAA thing and not company policy. The only people allowed to jumpseat are pilots from another airline and then only if they have a reciprocal agreement for UAL guys to jumpseat with them.

2)Flight deck visits- only on the ground

Fast Jet, the FA's are allowed into the flightdeck when ever they want (if you have a cup of coffee and some ice cream their even more happy to see you!!) although your correct about the below 10'000ft, it's considered sterile cockpit and all their attention is supposed to be on figuring out how not to f*#k up the landing!!

UKPPL- drop me an email and let me know your flight details and I will see if I can sort out something a bit more enjoyable than a toiletry bag!!

[This message has been edited by SOHCAHTOA (edited 13 February 2001).]

Fast Jet Wannabe
14th Feb 2001, 00:45
Well I enjoyed that tolietry bag! :)

But next time I'm on United I'll be sure to e-mail you also!

FJW.

[This message has been edited by Fast Jet Wannabe (edited 13 February 2001).]