PDA

View Full Version : Exeter Aero Club

Bergerie1
17th Mar 2011, 14:50
Back in 1959 I learnt to fly at Exeter on a Tiger Moth, registration G-ANOR. The overall colour scheme was in silver and with dark horizontal stripes on the rudder, the same colour also being used for the registration letters, struts and undercarriage. I only have an old black and white photo. Can anyone tell me what the dark colour was, I think it was probably red, but it may have been blue?

edskarf
18th Mar 2011, 08:48
The colour is likely to have been red. Although not showing a Tiger Moth you might find this clip to be of interest.

AUSTER AIRCRAFT - British Pathe (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=70697)

Bergerie1
18th Mar 2011, 15:54
Dear edskarf,

Thank you so much. You are absolutely right, I had completely forgotton about the white stripes between the red ones on the rudder. After I got my PPL I went on to fly that very same Auster too, G-AJUO in August 1959. And I am sure the instructor in the video is Yvonne Pope, she taught me, went on to be an ATCO and ended her career as a captain in Dan Air.

Once again, many thanks.

Capot
19th Mar 2011, 11:47
Those were the days; the student held the door open for the female instructor to board the aircraft after they did the pre-flight together, and she accepted the courtesy gracefully.

A female instructor these days would probably file a complaint.

Bergerie1
19th Mar 2011, 19:26
Capot,

More than that she was a good pilot and a good instructor, demanding high standards in the right way. I think I owe much of my later success in civil aviation to the disciplines she required during ab intio instruction.

Karswell
4th Aug 2011, 16:05
Greetings! I have just joined! What caught my attention was that you learned to fly at Exeter Aero Club in 1959. Just two years before you, I did likewise, care of the ATC Flying Scholarship Scheme. I completed 30 hours on Tiger Moths, mostly on G-ANOR, but also on G-ANOS and G-AHVV. My main instructor was Mr E.T. 'Joe' Heelas, but I also had the privilege of flying with Wg Cdr Pearse (now deceased) and John Oliver. I think Wg Cdr Pearse (excellent QFI patter!) was Managing Director of both Exeter and Plymouth Airports.

John Oliver was one of those marvellous men who flew the Balliols and Mosquitoes of the Exeter-based No 3 CAACU, and went on to become a check-captain on the Concorde. I flew just two sorties with Mrs Yvonne Pope, in Austers G-AJUO and G-AJIP, converting onto type. I would not have remembered her from that superb link posted on the Auster at Exeter. I believe she retired in 1980, aged fifty.

I was in awe of Joe Heelas. He seemed very old at the time (I was just seventeen!) and had a toothbrush moustache. He had about 24,000 flying hours, ranging from pre-WW2 Hart Variants, and was a superb pilot. Have you any information about him - what he did after leaving as CFI at Exeter Aero Club? I heard a rumour that he had emigrated to Australia, but this is not substantiated. He certainly kick-started my career as a pilot in the RAF and subsequently Civil Aviation. By the way, I packed loads of passenger hours in the Balliols and Mosquitoes - an unforgettable experience. I look forward to hearing from you. Best wishes, Karswell.