PDA

View Full Version : Where to live near KTEB ?

leonard17F
16th Mar 2011, 19:25
All,

Let's assume that I would move with my little family (Mrs Leonard + 2 girls, 7 and 3) for a hopefully good job in Teterboro, where would you recommend to live ?
I must confess that we originally are from the Old Continent, and Wife does not like to drive around too much (interesting situation in the US...).
Would Manhattan be the best bet, or are there other options to have a good family life?
Thanks a million !
Leo.

con-pilot
16th Mar 2011, 21:47
The cost of housing anywhere the KTEB area is very high. High enough that most pilots based there do not live close to the airport.

Housing in Manhattan is much, much higher than the KTEB area. Now I'm talking about nice housing in a nice area.

If you already have a job, I would suggest having the company you are going to work for help. If they don't, you just might rethink accepting the position.

Also, most major real estate companies have websites, check them out and it would not hurt to retain a real estate agent (estate agent). There is no cost to retain a real estate agent, they make their money only when and if you purchase a home. Same for rental (to let) properties.

Good luck.

Airspeedintervention
16th Mar 2011, 22:01
Well, I am based just over the fence to the South in KEWR and I can tell you there is NO where up there I would want to live. To my mind that area is our nation's armpit. Maybe if you were to consider the wooded areas to the Northwest of there say up around the Pocono Mountains but then you would be looking at a pretty good commute to get into TEB.

SNS3Guppy
17th Mar 2011, 06:49
If New Jersey is the toilet, Teterboro is where you flush.

Mike_Retired_ATC
17th Mar 2011, 12:54
You can also go to realty.com to check out housing, schools, amenities, etc. for areas around TEB. Depending on your job, you might want to consider commuting so that you family is located within a nicer area that offers the amenities and schools that you desire.

junkyardfreightdog
17th Mar 2011, 19:30
As someone who grew up in NYC I can tell you that it's all about expectations. If you expect to have a big yard and 5 bedroom home in NYC and expect the price to be the same as something in BFE then you will be disappointed. If your wife doesn't like driving she will love NYC. Many of my adult family members don't even own cars, for example both my parents. I know of a few pilots based at TEB that live in manhattan and don't own cars. They tale public transport or a cab to TEB. Living in the city isn't for everyone while others love it for all it's cultural benefits. I live in Brooklyn(still technically in NYC, but it is more suburban than manhattan) and it takes roughly 35 mins to get to TEB. At my last job I was home based and was airlined from LGA and didn't own a car for 4 years. So if your schedule allows it, i would skip owning a car and live in manhattan if it would make your family happy.

20driver
18th Mar 2011, 03:32
Central and Northern NJ are contenders for the most expensive real estate in the US. There are a lot of nice places to live but they are expensive, you need a 6 figure income to even consider the better towns. If you don't like to drive you have problems. A place like Montclair is nice and possibly feasible to live without a car but again it is $$$$.
I think you will find very few pilots live in the area unless they have family property or a well paid spouse.
20driver

20driver
19th Mar 2011, 18:00
I think junkyard sums it up nicely. Living in NYC and the boroughs can be great and without doubt a lot of fun. It is expensive and you have to decide on schools, that is the issue that sends many to the burbs.
Many NY public schools are very good, it all depends on the neighborhood.
20driver

leonard17F
20th Mar 2011, 10:14
Thanks a lot to you all for your valuable inputs. Nothing decided yet...

executive chauffeur
30th Mar 2011, 23:21
Being a fellow Bourgondian as well, and having resided in the area for a couple of years, I found the communities just to the west of TEB quite OK: Woodridge, Carlstadt, East-Rutherford... Nice residential area, good schools for the kids, Good restaurants, even by French standards, convenient shopping. NOT CHEAP THOUGH! But manageable..... Just make sure your salary is compatible with the the cost of living in the aera.

N1EPR
24th Apr 2011, 04:15
There are many great areas to the west of KTEB. Sparta is a pilot gehtto and a nice place too. Blairstown is about an hour west also great for families.

You wife will have to drive almost anywhere you live except Manhattan. Tell her to get used to it. (nicely)