PDA

View Full Version : Cessation of CSAT helicopter capability

Cpt_Pugwash
16th Mar 2011, 19:10
Mods, Please move to Rotorheads if that would be more appropriate, and apologies if it's been covered before, but a search didn't turn anything up.

Another capability bites the dust.

I stumbled across the text below which forms a response to a query on the DE&S site regarding a helicopter movement at Ensleigh in January. Probably small beer in the scheme of things, but I wasn't aware that this capability was being lost. Just how much more can we lose? My bold....

"The Command Support Air Transport (CSAT) Squadron supports military communications tasks in times of crisis and war. Although established for operational reasons, CSAT is able to support more routine MOD 'business' when flying hours are available (ie when not consumed by operational activity). The Command Support Tasking Cell (CSTC) is responsible for the tasking of UK based CSAT assets and any use of such helicopters is scrutinised and tasked in accordance with the latest DIN. As you mention resources are especially tight at the moment, therefore flights are only authorised when time, route, destination, protocol or security factors preclude the use of all other modes of transport and when value for money can be demonstrated.

You may feel further re-assured by the news that the CSAT helicopter capability will cease with effect from 1 Apr 11, as a result of a PR10 option to terminate the contract. Such flights are almost a thing of the past."