PDA

View Full Version : What countries does Kindle 3G work in?

16th Mar 2011, 11:36
Visited Amman, Jordan recently and although I could go the Amazon bookshop, I could not use the browser to view external web pages, such as email. I kept getting the message "Due to local restrictions, web browsing is not available for all countries".

I was told by the salesman that if there was a 3G signal which there is, you could pick emails up and asic web browse.

Are there many other countries with 3G that the 3G Kindle does allow web browsing?

It will be a serious hinderance if so, as this one one of the minor benefits of a Kindle over my Ipad.

Look forward to reading your comments.

mixture
16th Mar 2011, 11:39
I was told by the salesman that if there was a 3G signal which there is, you could pick emails up and asic web browse.

That's correct. 3G is 3G, so as long as you've got roaming enabled and you're roaming on a 3G network, you should be fine.

Are there many other countries with 3G that the 3G Kindle does allow web browsing?

Visited Amman, Jordan recently

You've answered your own question. :cool:

It's not exactly a secret that certain countries have implemented certain mechanisms to filter. Often cited case is China, but there are others too, especially in the region you visited.

17th Mar 2011, 07:03
A-ha!! So the saleman was being liberal with the truth then. :mad:

Thanks for the reply.

I spend a lot of time around this area (Lebanon, Egypt, Syria, Georgia, Yerevan etc). Whilst 3G signal is generally available, the fact that the browser is blocked makes the Kindle far less attractive than was originally protrayed.

No offence to the Kindle, it's a very useful tool, however already having an iPad and now finding that the 3G signal probably won't suport basic web browsing may mean returning it to the store:(

Just so I can get an idea, what countries have you tried it in where you could use the Kindles internet browser succesfully? I'm wondering if most of Europe is available? Equally wondering already certain countries block web browsing on Kindles, whether those that curently provide the service may also pull this handy feature, blocking all but Amazon bookshop?

mad_jock
17th Mar 2011, 08:17
In those countries the internet system is locked down anyway.

I am suprised it allows you access to the kindle shop as you will be able to access books that are on the banned list.

Europe there is no problem what so ever with kindle and web browsing.

Kindle is a linux based system and there are hacks out there which allow you access to the OS which means you can load up a VPN on it after you have
connected via 3G. After you have done that you are in the country you have connected to.

BUT....... it requires reasonable knowledge and it is illegal in the countries you would like to use it in.

There is another issue which is the cost of international roaming data on the 3G which is highly expensive. Its proberly doing you a favour saving you from a massive bill.

BusyB
19th Mar 2011, 13:54
Go to a wireless Hotspot:ok: