PDA

View Full Version : ADF pilot entry questions

bloodline85
16th Mar 2011, 07:20
Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. Very sorry if I am repeating any questions that have already been asked. I have spent a lot of time searching this forum, but have not been able to find clear answers to some of my questions..

I have recently had a YOU session. Did very well on my aptitude and maths tests (have the aptitude for further testing as pilot), medical examiner was very happy with my history, and my recruitment officer told me I have had good life experience and leadership qualities. So the only thing thats stopping me from being able to apply as a pilot and be competative is not meeting the educational requirements. I was told that should I want to persue a career as a pilot I will need to go to TAFE and complete year 12 again. I am fine with this. My only problem is, should I decide to do this (it will most likely have to be part time) I will be just over 28 years of age. If I somehow try and do this fulltime next year, I will be 27 and 3 months.

As I understand it, to be competetive you need to be under 27. Does anyone have any opinions about my situation? I am highly motivated and am willing to give this a good crack. Will my age deeply effect my application?

Also, is there any other way to go about it? A short course or equivalancy course? Keeping in mind I still want to be competitive in my application... I actually have my VCE. I passed all subjects including English and Physics, but achieved very low grades. I know I could have done alot better if I was actually interested in school at the time and I put some effort into it.

Should I go and do a pilot apptitude test even though I cant apply, just to see how I go?

Any help would be greatly appretiated. I am supposed to make a decision by the end of this week and contact my case manager. Thank you in advance!! :)

josephfeatherweight
16th Mar 2011, 09:12
See the thread "RAAF Flight Screening Program (Merged)" in Military Aircrew - tonnes of info, but worth trawling through - much good gouge to be had. Good luck!

bloodline85
16th Mar 2011, 10:16
Thanks mate! Yep, I have certainly been doing alot of reading in that thread. Some great info! But cant find alot on equivelent courses, maybe because there are none.. And I am a bit worried about my age.

Super 64
17th Mar 2011, 06:59
Dr Steven Holding - Aeronautical Mathematics - Aeronautical Physics - Aptitude Testing Qantas - Pilot Aptitude Test - Cadet Pilot Aptitude Test - Qlink Pilot Aptitude Test - Jetstar Pilot Aptitude Test - V Australia Pilot Aptitude Test - Cathay Pacif (http://www.aerophysics.com.au/)

bloodline85
17th Mar 2011, 08:51
Many thanks Super!! I have not heard of this before, looking into it now.

Although its in Brisbane and I'm in Melbourne, it may still work out alot cheaper to go and do this, rather than spend 1-2 years in TAFE. Not to mention all the time I will save!

Does anyone have any opinion or thoughts about the situation with my AGE?

Thanks again!!

bloodline85
17th Mar 2011, 09:10
Just tried emailing Dr Holding for course costs and dates and recieved a strange return message in my inbox:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at pemlinmail01.bottle.com.au (http://pemlinmail01.bottle.com.au/).
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

Mail quota exceeded.

Im going to guess hes inbox is full.. Will try the contact number at a more appropriate time.