PDA

View Full Version : John Travolta Qantas safety video introduction

Juud
8th Mar 2011, 17:47
Does it get the pax paying attention?

mrdeux
16th Mar 2011, 04:21
I'd don't particularly mind Travolta, but the team rubbish irks me a lot. Last time I looked it was a crew, not a football team, and the passengers were just that....

QueenBuzzzzz
16th Mar 2011, 05:14
I don't mind it so much, but the constant word "team" does grate a little. Especially when it changes to " in an emergency the crew will operate the life raft ".... which one is it?? I also cringe when they pan to the token female first officer at the end... why can't she be sitting in the left seat?

bubbers44
16th Mar 2011, 05:44
Maybe because he has all the money. When you have all the money they can be a crew or a team. He is the captain because he owns the airplane. Who knows who is really the PIC. He seems like a good guy though. He likes airplanes.

Jackbr
16th Mar 2011, 06:44
When I flew into MEL a few months back I sat right ahead of L2 on a 763 and overhead the Flight Attendants conversation after we landed(Both TRUE bee hives, blue eye shadow etc - when I spoke to one in the flight, sure enough, she started at TAA)

She said that the word team is used 8 times, and that it reminded her of Virgin Blue and was probably the result of 'Some generation Y upstart who has just gone into a new role where they'll be for 6 months before moving up higher to cause trouble elsewhere"

Needless to stay I found it quite amusing :}

Has the entire fleet got the new demo? I flew on an A330 a few months after that and it was the old video shown.

QueenBuzzzzz
16th Mar 2011, 07:18
I guess so Jack... did my first 744 flight last week that had the new demo. Seems to flow quite well, just get rid of the "team, team, team, team, team"

AN2 Driver
16th Mar 2011, 09:06
Maybe because he has all the money. When you have all the money they can be a crew or a team. He is the captain because he owns the airplane. Who knows who is really the PIC.

And I suppose that is why he's getting flack whatever he does. Envy.

He seems like a good guy though. He likes airplanes.

What I know about him and his outfit is that his crew members as well as people who handle the planes wherever he goes like him as well. There are preciously few people who are willing to expose their love for aviation these days, so we should be glad they still exist rather than slamming them at every chance just because WE can't afford a 707... The exposure to the public of people like Harrison Ford at AOPA and JT as well as some others does more for us than the constant bickering amongst the pilot and GA scene...

16th Mar 2011, 11:43
If AJ wants someone to front the safety demos who better than the genuine aviation professionals who saved QF32 - there are none better!
I found / find JT a nice guy and aviation buff but totally misplaced as "your captain" and "team" irritating to say the least!

toro
16th Mar 2011, 11:52
1746... I agree with you entirely.

Flew with Qantas twice in Jan and found him very patronising and he is NOT the Captain.!! What are Qantas thinking of with such a crap introduction.

I personally like JT's films and he seems like a genuine "aviation enthusiast" so I am not envious but it seems all very amateur and tacky.

As another poster said get the Capt of the 380 instead now he is a consumate professional.

BrissySparkyCoit
16th Mar 2011, 13:17
The spirit of Australia with pilots based in NZ and Singapore, Maintenance done in the Philippines and a washed up second rate American actor doing safety videos.:ugh:

....Now if only we had Bruce Dickinson doing the safety video... then I'd be smiling and not cringing!

Popgun
16th Mar 2011, 17:06
Its completely cringe-worthy! (and as inappropriate as having a foreign head of state!)

And what's with the 'hello everybody' instead of 'good morning/afternoon/evening ladies and gentlemen' in all the onboard, terminal and QF Club PAs? Is that supposed to be Gen Y hipster-speak???

:eek:

NG_Kaptain
16th Mar 2011, 17:08
Bruce Dickinson is a real airline pilot.

milbud
16th Mar 2011, 20:30
Seems to help disolve the diminishing image of a once great airline being the Spirit of Australia...Let's put an American face as it's Ambassador.

airtags
17th Mar 2011, 00:15
I found it lacking in relevant content and saw it again this morning where I CC pointed out that there is no voice over mention of the red exit floor lights - considering evac signs worldwide are green, & without explanation in the video she had a valid point.

The CC also said there Union had complained about the demo but Q just told them to bugger off.

Seems also like the vision was cut to cover the long winded narration -

Given Travolta's off track approach into YMML recently, and the cringe "team this team that" B.S. I think we can do better.

The whole thing just seems to make the safety message seem trite...(and let's face it with our recent track record and reduced crew onboard, Q needs to make sure every passenger is across what they they have to do!)

AT

(Was nice to see that Travolta did not wear the braids and the Q badge on his cap though)

gchangflyer
21st Mar 2011, 21:58
QUEENBUZZZ...why does it annoy you that there's a female FO???????

Impress to inflate
23rd Mar 2011, 12:26
JT's pre amble is better than the crusty old Capt who was on before or have I just started a war !

aviatorhi
23rd Mar 2011, 12:55
Man I love the soft spot people have for being called a "teammember" instead of a "crewmember", must not have more important things to worry about in their lives other than their "status".

gchangflyer
27th Mar 2011, 23:33
The whole idea sounds like a cheesy gimmick to me. Now if they got a hostie to dress up as a kangaroo and present the safety briefing...now THAT would be better! :O

QueenBuzzzzz
28th Mar 2011, 05:04
gchangflyer.... it annoys me because we also have alot of female Captains.... it would be nice to see them in our adverts/demos/posters etc as well. It's not purely from a feminist point of view, it would provide a nice balance to our passengers.

Dream Land
28th Mar 2011, 07:43
I just recently flew for the first time on Qantas down to NZ, I like the JT cameo, but having the uniform of your airline on is quite cheesy, it should be a REAL Skipper or Cabin Crew.

Great flight.:ok:

Teal
29th Mar 2011, 00:04
This trend to use the word 'team' is very much a "Wesfarmers Limited" culture from my observations in Oz. I first noticed it in Bunnings many years ago, but now that Wesfarmers owns Coles, K-Mart and Target you find it being used in all those stores as well. So you're not staff, employees, or crew members any more, just team members. And, as the organisational cliche goes, there is no "I" in team, so no individuality is permitted.

Snail Dave
29th Mar 2011, 09:33
I fly Qantas alot (Domestic & International) and have been in the aviation industry all my life. There really are more important things to complain about aren't there? Truth is, most people don't even watch the thing (wrongly) but I reckon having him on the video makes the less-frequent flyers sit up and take notice. As long as it contains all the relevant safety information, is it really that big a deal?:confused:

Cee of Gee
17th Jun 2011, 18:49
BrissySparkyCoit,

Bruce has just fronted an industry safety production.

Heavy Metal front man ramps up industry loading awareness | CAA Newsroom | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2006)

Already, numerous Carriers and GHAs will be using it to support training.

C o' G

CoodaShooda
17th Jun 2011, 23:39
As long as it contains all the relevant safety information

Old style delivery wrt the life jacket

"inflate the life jacket by pulling on the red tab. More air can be added if needed through the mouthpiece." (both demonstrated by the CC)

Video version

"There are a red tab and mouthpiece for inflating the life jacket" (no demonstration)

PA28Viking
18th Jun 2011, 01:20
Why is 'team' now considered a bad thing? In any other place on earth people would be excited to be included in a professional team.

Maybe the Qantas crew wants to exclude other contributors to safety in the company?

Anyway, if you want to get peoples attention with celebrities then this is the way forward:

YouTube - ‪Air New Zealand - Crazy About Rugby - Safety Video‬‏

Race Bannon
18th Jun 2011, 04:36
An airline is an airline:transportation of large numbers of people quickly from point A to point B.
So you need to differentiate yourself from the pack.
Most airlines do this by using the best aspects of the culture they represent.
Qantas used to use its "australianess" but of late has lost its way.
New Zealand Crew,English Crew and an American ambassador.
McDonalds refers to its shop assistants as its "team" which has now become a buzz word of derision.