PDA

View Full Version : Expats DCGA Medicals Spring 2011

Rosiemoto
14th Mar 2011, 19:41
Can anybody post the parameters for the initial DCGA Medical for the following tests?

Type of Test: Treadmill stress test – Maximal Protocol

(b) Biochemical Tests
(i) Hb TLC DLC
(ii) Blood Urea
(iii) Serum Creatinine
(iv) Lipid Profile
(v) Blood Sugar Fasting & Post Prandial
(vi) Serum Uric Acid
(vii) Serum Bilirubin
(viii) SGOT/ SGPT

itsbrokenagain
15th Mar 2011, 02:08
The treadmill test was the Bruce protocol, the other numbers I dont think they give out what they are looking for, I tried looking through the DGCA website under medical and all the AIC's there and its pretty ambiguous, and not very open as it should be at all!

captjns
15th Mar 2011, 02:56
The parameters are under lock and key with the Indian Air Force Medical Department.

weido_salt
15th Mar 2011, 03:11
Bit late in the day now, is it not? Your posting that you are 45. Hmm.... relatively young under normal sane conditions but sorry to say even you maybe pushed to pass an initial medical examination, conducted by the military.

We were all warned in August last year this would happen. I saw this coming, managed to get another position and got out quick. I preferred to walk before being pushed.

Just a thought. Shouldn't the centrifuge be part of the examination? After all it is a fighter pilot medical. What is it now, 8 g's sustained for 30 secs?

Rotorhead1026
15th Mar 2011, 23:28
Shouldn't the centrifuge be part of the examination? After all it is a fighter pilot medical. What is it now, 8 g's sustained for 30 secs?

Don't give 'em any ideas. :eek:

Although that actually would be so cool! :)

Rosiemoto
15th Mar 2011, 23:33
@Rotorhead - it would be cool, but it would come of out your own pocket. How much does it cost to rent one (if you could)?

I assume it would be

a) Not in India
b) Not cheap

Anyone who has survived an auto-rickshaw ride through Delhi or Mumbai probably can handle the G's :O

doubleu-anker
16th Mar 2011, 07:38
Has any expat actually managed to pass this medical examination? If anyone has it might be worth them going for a job with ESA. They do have an on going requirement for astronaut trainees. :}

captjns
16th Mar 2011, 08:21
Yup... I know of 4 expats that have made it through the medical. They did their medicals in BLR. It took one chap 1 day, and another 4 days with additional testing.

High failure rates as the majority are being bestowed with TMUs or Temporary Medically Unfit slips. A 12 week period is given to the poor unfortunate to rectify the problem and return for a re-evaluation. The problem is that the Indian Air Force has only their guidelines to follow concerning acceptable parameters. There are no age or demographics curves to adjust their parameters.

The mystery is whether or not an additional TMU will be granted or an actual grounding will be issued. A permanent grounding may have dire consequences on one's future... even at prospective carriers of employment in a different country with background checks and all.

Good luck to one and all.

Rotorhead1026
16th Mar 2011, 12:09
it would be cool, but it would come of out your own pocket

No, not out of my pocket ... out of the airline's. If the medical expense actually reaches that level then passing the exam will be moot. No one would take it.

itsbrokenagain
16th Mar 2011, 13:00
Another one bit the dust today(not me a friend), a TMU for eyesight, even after getting the required prescription glasses not once but twice, and had 3 days of testing mainly on eyes this was done in Delhi.

I wouldnt worry about a medically unfit from the IAF or the DGCA ever appearing in your future, we all have been to the DGCA and seen the piles of paper.... and the fact is a foreign company would have a damn hard time actually finding or getting this information from the DGCA or IAF... plus think about it, you arent licensed in India, you operate on a authorisation based on your foreign license the foreign license is your medical you are concerned about, there are no legal ramifications here on your FAA, JAA or CASA licenses that I have found.

weido_salt
16th Mar 2011, 13:34
It says on the JAA medical renewal form, "Have you ever failed a medical examination?" If you fail the IAF medical you have to, by law admit to that fact. I saw this coming a mile off and refused point blank to sit the medical.

The AME who renews your medical has to cover his ass, so he has to submit this failure to higher authorities.

It is an illegitimate directive issued by an illegitimate authority.

captjns
16th Mar 2011, 13:36
I believe employment background checks may uncover information about one's tenure upto and leading to termination of employment.

Most employment applications ask if one has experienced any health issues or denied a Class One Medical or even medically grounded. Does a TMU constitute as a medical grounding? How does one answer that question on the employment application?

Rosiemoto
17th Mar 2011, 01:54
Give your Chief Pilot a letter of resignation dated one day prior to your final
TMU outcome decision. Tell him he's welcome to shred it if you pass and keep you on.

If he doesn't like the option you can stand by your resignation...no 'medical refused' - ergo - no stain on your 'record'.:hmm:

I agree with most that the DCGA not qualifying me medically is seen by most of the world as a joke. Try explaining that to the HR lady at Delta who is handling your application though and is calling Jet Airways HR for your previous employment status.

weido_salt
17th Mar 2011, 03:28
Rosiemoto

Good suggestion and constructive input.

This directive of course will never be rescinded. I would like to know how many experienced Indian pilots have had their careers cut short and left the aviation industry in India because of this medical issue. I will think the number is much, than Indians displaced by employing expats.

As mentioned previously the DGCA is the greatest obstacle to civil aviation in India. If the unions actually had some b***s they would take on the DGCA. But they have not got any.

Rosiemoto
17th Mar 2011, 04:30
Hi Weido,

I was under the impression that this initial medical is more intense and probably something that 18-25 year olds regularly experience, but not (until now) expats in their 40's and 50's:}.

As many have pointed out there are rather large Kingfisher Pilots :ok:(its all the free beer) roaming the corridors of VABB who are in their 50's. They get through their regular medicals.

However that isn't to say that you aren't correct and young Pilots who might have normal (International Standards) correctable vision might have had trouble getting past the Indian Military Pilot vision testing.

itsbrokenagain
24th Mar 2011, 03:52
So today is the day of grounded expats unless you have a medical . (according to a letter issued by the the DGCA dated 24 Dec 2010).... interesting to see how many expats are able to fly today onwards. I know there is a long line a the IAF medical offices to get a medical appointment.

The guy I knew who failed due eyesight got it passed on the 4th attempt to appear with the medical examiner. :ugh:

Time for some paid time off until the appointment is due it seems :ok:

weido_salt
24th Mar 2011, 05:32
This is probably the opportunity they are waiting for. If they can nail some expat FATA, filth then that may take the heat of their own cheats for a while. Can you imagine the headlines? "Terror In The Skies!!! Expats flying who are medically unfit!"

Rosiemoto
25th Mar 2011, 16:18
Obviously you are a TOI reporter... always lead with the 'T' word in every single article ;)