View Full Version : cochlear implants and commerical airplanes audio system

cochlear implant use
14th Mar 2011, 15:31
Hi, I'm hoping you experts can help.

I have a cochlear implant and am able to connect a cable directly from the outer part of the implant processor to audio systems, such as MP3 players, laptops, cellphones. I can plug it into the airplanes entertainment system but have been advised not to do this unless there is protection against power surges.

Does anyone know if this is likely? I will be travelling on a BA flight on a 777.

many thanks

grounded27
14th Mar 2011, 15:49
Aircraft electricity is very stable, especially on newer aircraft that incorporate sensitive electronics into the systems that control the aircraft. I would not have it plugged in during engine start or shutdown, these are the only times other than an unexpected rare failure that power may fluctuate.

cochlear implant use
14th Mar 2011, 16:56
Thanks for the info

Genghis the Engineer
14th Mar 2011, 17:49
Aircraft electricity is very stable, especially on newer aircraft that incorporate sensitive electronics into the systems that control the aircraft. I would not have it plugged in during engine start or shutdown, these are the only times other than an unexpected rare failure that power may fluctuate.

The entertainment system should be turned off centrally at those times anyhow.

G

Fargoo
16th Mar 2011, 11:44
A lot of modern airliners use the entertainment system for the safety video (video PA).

Probably wise to unplug during this as said above because of possible noise/interference during power transfer on engine starts. The audio will come over the cabin speakers during this anyway.

Also a good idea to unplug if the crew mention they are resetting the IFE as the BA AVOD system does cause some audio output at the seat jack during boot up.