PDA

View Full Version : How long to get a job

batty
11th Feb 2001, 21:20
I recently graduated from OATS, and like everyonre else have heard the 75% in three months garbage! Yes maybe if that includes sponsored students! What I would like to know is if you graduated from OATS or elsewhere and have/have not got a job how long has it taken you?

Going Around & Around
11th Feb 2001, 23:56
Finished at OATS end of March 2000. Just got a job. About 2/3 of my course now have jobs. The others have had nothing but PFO letters.

Luck and who you know... Hope you are lucky!

Deep Float
12th Feb 2001, 00:56
Finished OATS in June 1999.
Two out of ten have jobs; one got recommended by the school (and rightly so) and the other had a contact within a UK operator.
The rest of us are looking for suitable trees.

tailscrape
12th Feb 2001, 02:43
Batty,

Well done on graduating from OATS. I think I was a few courses ahead of you. If you remember a bloke who had just started wearing contact lenses last summer - and who was wondering why they were so blurry ( until the optician coolly told me they had given me someone else'e) - you will remember who I am .

On the subject of 75% , I think we all know that to be fanciful from OATS marketing.

What I would say is that there is stuff out there, it just takes a lot of luck in getting anything, even an interview.

I am sure the guys on my course would not mind me saying this:

11 finishers. Ranging from June 2000 to recently. 4 people have jobs. 2 on T/P's, 2 on jets. None of us were exceptional, just solidly average.

True, the other 7 are still looking hard. But, I believe everyone from my course will all be alright, because they all want it badly enough.

If you keep looking hard, I hope that you will get the chance you deserve. Knowing nothing about it, I would say that anything up to a year after finishing is normal.

Good Luck everyone.

Loony_Pilot
14th Feb 2001, 05:54
Hi,

I graduated Jan 2000 from OATS
no job yet, the odd application form etc.

Have been told my CV is excellent but maybe my timing is wrong

LP

FI
14th Feb 2001, 13:46
Finished at OATS end of 1999. No airline job, loads of PA 28 time, now over 750 hrs.

I have more PFO letters than you can imagine.

CV is good, so I have been told, timing is cr@p and no luck breaks so far.

I have got in too deep to go back, I have invested too much money to fail.

FI

Thank God it is a sunny day, we eat tonight!!

feetnkneestogether
19th Feb 2001, 15:15
I have a question to all you guys who have graduated but are on the long wait for a flying job.
What are you all doing right now ?
Have you taken up instructing? Do you still catch some flying hours at the weekend? How do you afford to live? Got a temp job? What are you doing about maintaining those carefully honed IR skills?

The reason I ask is that I will be doing my CPL /IR course in the summer and am wondering how to manage my time afterwards - considering that jobs just don't appear the next day. Any advice?

Incidentally, I'm debating between going to OATS or Bristol. Does it make a difference ?

Cheers then.........

batty
20th Feb 2001, 13:51
You have to keep the hours ticking over, at not at £100 per hour! How? Try para dropping, glider tugging, get your FI rating.
I am going to do the FI rating ASAP so I can at least keep current. You dont want to be 6 months out of training still on 200 hrs because there are more current people leaving schools behind you.
How do you look to an airline? Yes CPL IR 200 hrs but working in Tesco's, or CPL IR 500hrs increasing with an FI rating showing commitment.
Dont get me wrong you have commitment to to the self sponsored route, just keep it going afterwards, I hope it will pay off!