PDA

View Full Version : Qantas Staff to Strike ?

Ka.Boom
14th Mar 2011, 02:33
Qantas staff vote to strike

Monday, 14 March 2011 Two of Australia’s biggest airports could be affected, as the Australian Services Union Victoria asks up to 1000 of its Qantas members to back industrial action.

Check-in and customer service staff will take part in the ballot which could see Qantas employees walk off the job at Melbourne and Sydney airport, The Australian reported.

Australian Services Union Victorian private sector branch secretary Ingrid Stitt told the source that the union had applied for the ballot to Fair Work Australia this week because the airline refused to agree to the union’s five percent pay rise and increased job security.

''Our members are pretty angry and frustrated that Qantas has even failed to give them a pay offer after eight or nine months of negotiations,'' she said.

In response to the union’s ballot Qantas has called for the union to return to the table for further talks.

“Instead of threatening industrial action which will impact on passengers we would encourage the union to return to the negotiating table,” a Qantas spokesperson told e-Travel Blackboard.

“Qantas has robust contingency plans in place to minimise any impact on passengers should the union process with any industrial action.”

ejectx3
14th Mar 2011, 02:39
Toxic Managament Culture...why why why? :ugh:

33 Disengage
14th Mar 2011, 05:29
Does the Qantas Board actually do anything?

Why, after between 6 - 12 months of negotiations, does Qantas management need to plead for Ground Staff, Pilots, Engineers, (Cabin Crew next) to "return to the table"?

Does anyone else see the pattern? Why does Qantas not negotiate with their staff in the first place? Is it a management goal to disengage it's staff first up?

QAN Shareholder, do you know the answer?

The Kelpie
14th Mar 2011, 05:50
Go to the table guys and negotiate HARD!!!!

If I were Ian Oldmeadow I would be sweating at the moment as this is just about to blow up in the old mans face!!

More to Follow

The Kelpie

rudderless1
14th Mar 2011, 07:28
why would Oldmeadow give a toss, he's loaded and old. This is
Just his way of keeping entertained. The longer it drags on
The better his social life and no need to cook. The money for him
Is just a side effect.

Scumfish
14th Mar 2011, 09:20
What these managers at Qantas and Jetstar don't seem to realise is that your employees are your most valuable asset. You look after them and they'll look after you. This mentality of wielding the big stick will not work and is only detrimental to a business. One only has to look at the bad publicity that any threat of industrial action generates and the loss of profit this will incur as an example.

stubby jumbo
14th Mar 2011, 10:08
..........this is the same as using "Mixo" on rabbits during the great rabbit plague.

Everybody has been bashed, beaten and bombarded to the point now where ....(like Mixo) nothing works anymore. We have all built up a resistance to the constant spin, lies and crap that "management" have been dishing out since about 1995.

Yes....we've all had a gutful.
Yes....Qantas IR are pathetic
Result......most staff are just wondering around with the "death stare"...wondering WHAT THE HELL IS GOING TO HAPPEN NEXT.

Putting people like Wirth on 7:30 Report last week should give everyone an indication of the contempt "management" have of its staff.
Where was AJ?
Where was the Chairman.......who ?

Next they will unleash the 10.80 .........run away:eek:

VBPCGUY
14th Mar 2011, 22:39
Best of luck to the QF ground staff and I encourage you to fight on, I dont know about the quality of the union though, they well and truly led us VB staff up the garden path promising industrial action that had never even been filed with the courts and also promised three months free membership to get more involved with the proposed industrial action so I was silly enough to join the union and bam they were taking union dues straight away.

bubble.head
14th Mar 2011, 23:35
Is there anyone in Qantas that ISN'T going on PIA? This surely is sending a message to the board.:ugh:

breakfastburrito
14th Mar 2011, 23:46
Bubblehead, perhaps this is exactly the outcome the board are looking for. It is completely counter-intuitive, but all the evidence suggest this is EXACTLY what they are hoping for. They are destroying Qantas to justify its destruction (hint Qantas Sale Act (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/ActCompilation1.nsf/0/9214588D1DF479B2CA256F71004E5675/$file/QantasSale92.pdf), section 7, clauses (e) and (f), page 13 - plausible dependability).
That is my working thesis until I see evidence to the contrary.

Keg
15th Mar 2011, 01:27
I agree. No one in their right mind* pushes this hard to have everyone all cranky at the same time unless it's a deliberate choice to do so. They want this for one reason or another. I don't necessarily agree that this is about the Qantas Sale Act but given the apparent lack of other motives that seems as good a reason as any.

* I acknowledge that many would argue that they're not in their right mind and I acknowledge Sunfish's excellent work in educating the PPRUNE masses as to the prevalence of workplace narcissists and sociopaths.

Taildragger67
15th Mar 2011, 01:38
While we're on the Act, I've always wondered how JQ int'l is allowed to operate, given s.7 (1) (f) (i): that the company's Articles must contain a provision which serves to "prohibit Qantas from conducting scheduled international air transport passenger services under a name other than:
(i) its company name; or
(ii) a registered business name that includes the expression "Qantas"".

Now I know that Qantas Airways Limited is an entity in its own right, separate from any subsidiary company (eg. anything named 'Jetstar'), but it is also the holding company for the group - so could this provision of the Act be seen to mean only the actual entity of Qantas Airways Limited, or the group owned by Qantas Airways Limited?

The Kelpie
15th Mar 2011, 01:42
You have hit the nail on the head TD. All the entities have similar name so it is very confusion. Joyce should be asked to draw it on a whiteboard for us!

More to Follow

the Kelpie

ampclamp
15th Mar 2011, 07:22
QF engineers have filed for PIA too.

airtags
16th Mar 2011, 04:39
Taildragger - valid observation: the issue however is that the overlay is the IASC route approval(s) which is the instrument that facilitates the JQ offshore backdoor.

While the Act does not preclude Q from owning in part or whole equity in another carrier (also read quasi-franchise), the Q Sale Act has no jurisidction in the awarding of QF's route approvals.

The messy bit is when the 'majority owned' JQ franchisee is deployed utilising capacity on a QF approved route - in effect, there is real propensity for the JQ franchise deal to be even more attractive (particularly to China/Asian carriers) as it becomes a golden passport to access Australian bi-lateral freedoms.

How the Minister for Mascot's IASC can justify the para 4 & 5 criteria - that is such arrangements are "in the best interests of the Australian public" is beyond logic.

The really messy bit however is that Regulators, (including the QF/JQ rubber stamp called CASA), have diminished powers under such arrangements, therefore $afety becomes a low level, if not purely academic priority.

I said previously the regulatory environment is the new slash and burn green field frontier - the new 'panama flag' for aviation.

Under this flag there is no doubt that Australian jets and jobs will continue to be sent offshore. Australian employees and shareholders should be very concerned.

AT

The Kelpie
16th Mar 2011, 06:11
The Route Approval is the Route Approval.

This is issued on the basis of compliance with all other laws, including Migration Reguations.

The IASC approval DOES NOT give an approval to circumvent the Migration Regulations.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

airtags
17th Mar 2011, 00:25
Agree totally Kelpie but the dear Minister had better start telling Mr Bird that. ....and we need to start seeking justification of the 'all purpose' paras 4 & 5 of the Minister's statement.

It's happening already and is about to happen even more - we also need to be wary of the 'integrated/cross crewing' provisions used by DJ/Voz/JQ & even QF - more of an issue for CC than pilots but none the less a real risk that is also happening today.

AT

The Kelpie
17th Mar 2011, 00:35
I wouldn't be surprised if Immigration Officials (given that they have offices at international ports of entry) will be standing at the JQ62 and return leg domestic gates in Melbourne and Darwin over the next few days to check crew immigation status. For Aus citizens or PR it will not be a problem!!

Fines, jail terms and exclusion periods are significant for breach of Visa conditions.

I took advantage of the 'dob-in' line!!!! I would encourage others to do the same as it is the duty of every citizen to protect our country and our jobs!!

Immigration didn't seem too chuft that it was alledged to be happenning right under their noses, or so to speak!!!

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Cirronimbus
18th Mar 2011, 06:32
Qantas has just advertised for ground staff in Darwin on the Career One website. Does this have anything to do with the possible strike action?

Are Qantas preparing to replace staff with new people on 'revised' contracts?

unionist1974
18th Mar 2011, 11:02
ASU and their leader LW , full of p*ss and w*nd do a lot of stick waving but no blows landed in the past and i suspect in the future . Old clerks union Hmm what do you expect.

LondonSloop
27th Mar 2011, 00:47
Ewin Hannan at the Australian is saying- 'Qantas faces the prospect of strike action by pilots, engineers, refuellers and baggage handlers.'

But when Mr Joyce said, 'the proposed clauses would be hugely detrimental to the commercial operations of Qantas and vowed to stare down an ACTU-backed campaign for job security', the share price bounced.

Place your bets please.

:uhoh:

breakfastburrito
27th Mar 2011, 01:06
Yes, one hell of a bind for the Federal government. Support the "multinational" to crush the workers, only to see the tax revenue & superannuation pot "off-shored". What to do, what to do.

The Kelpie
27th Mar 2011, 01:16
Supporting the 'multi-national' on these issues would pave the way for other industries and organisations to follow suit. This would have to hurt the federal coffers and leave several pieces of key legislation in tatters.

More to Follow

The Kelpie

Icarus2001
27th Mar 2011, 02:47
Kelpie is spot on. The other airlines in Oz will be watching carefully. If Onestar get away with this then the others will follow. Perfect for Tiger. Base is Singapore working through Oz. Will suit VB with the ATR start up too.

Not just aviation either. Mining, manufacturing etc could all follow suit.

CaptCloudbuster
27th Mar 2011, 03:23
Maybe the Mining industry needs to:eek:

The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/laundry-staff-on-420k-a-year/story-fn59niix-1226027697866)

New analysis by the Australian Mines and Metals Association finds the most recent wage agreement registered for offshore construction workers contains maximum annual pay packages for a four-week-on, two-week-off rostered employee of $423,000 for a laundry hand; $445,000 for a cook; $450,000 for a tradesperson; and $498,000 for a barge welder.

teresa green
27th Mar 2011, 11:35
Capt. Cloudbuster are you kidding? Is that for real? Where do I apply? I am good at ironing uniform shirts, and my sweet and sour baked beans dish is a ripper. please send me info!

peuce
27th Mar 2011, 22:55
One test as to whether Jetstar is a bone fide separate entity from Qantas is to ask the question ... could Jetstar be currently sold as a going concern?

Or is its operations/finances so intertwined with Qantas that ... they are virtually one and the same?

Cancel Speed
27th Mar 2011, 23:19
From The Australian -
Mr Joyce said the proposed clauses would be "hugely detrimental" to the commercial operations of Qantas and Jetstar.

or should it be, hugely detrimental to the commercial operations of Jetstar?

tail wheel
27th Mar 2011, 23:20
Jetstar Group Pty Ltd (http://www2.search.asic.gov.au/cgi-bin/gns030c?acn=003_901_353&juris=9&hdtext=ACN&srchsrc=1).

Jetstar is a separate legal entity. It's shares were bought and could just as easily be sold.

rudderless1
28th Mar 2011, 00:06
Any reference or just a company rumour

The Green Goblin
28th Mar 2011, 05:50
The Twelve Management Principles

1. Clearly state the purpose and mission of your business.
Set high objectives that are noble, just and fair.

2. Set specific goals.
Once targets are set, share them with all employees.

3. Keep a passionate desire in your heart.
Your desire must be strong and persistent to penetrate into your subconscious mind.

4. Strive harder than anyone else.
Work steadily and diligently, one step at a time, never relenting in tedious tasks.

5. Maximize revenues and minimize expenses.
Measure your inflow and control your outflow; don't chase profit, but let it follow your effort.

6. Pricing is management.
Pricing is top management's responsibility: to find that one point where customers are happy and the company is most profitable.

7. Success is determined by willpower.
Business management requires a persistent, "rock-piercing" will.

8. Possess a fighting spirit.
Management requires a more combative mentality than any martial art.

9. Face every challenge with courage.
Be fair and never deceive others.

10. Always be creative in your work.
Innovate and improve continuously. Today should be better than yesterday; tomorrow, better than today.

11. Be kind and sincere.
Business is based on partnerships and must bring happiness to all parties.

12. Always be cheerful and positive; hold great dreams and hopes in the pureness of your heart.

How many has QF got a tick next to?

teresa green
28th Mar 2011, 12:14
As far as I know after all these years, the airlines still run on the principle of "you play ball with us, and we will stick the bat up your ar$e everytime. I have no reason to believe anything has changed. They certainly have never read those 12 passages, not in my lifetime anyway.:ugh:

PIOT Bord
28th Mar 2011, 15:47
Is it true? Word has it that Qantas and Long-haul Pilots have an agreement re EA dispute.
3% & security clauses. Yes, No or wide of the mark?

Ultergra
28th Mar 2011, 15:54
My God,

I've read some outstanding wind up's in my time, but this one IS the cake.

Nice one PIOT board.

Keg
28th Mar 2011, 23:39
Is it true? Word has it that Qantas and Long-haul Pilots have an agreement re EA dispute.

Given the state of play when the last update was given to crew by AIPA just a week ago, I'm going to call 'bull****' to any suggestion that an agreement has been reached.

breakfastburrito
29th Mar 2011, 00:29
It would appear that the entire IR strategy has been about building a parallel offshore airline based around the B787. Once deliveries of the B787 were proceeding at a good pace, mainline would be put to the sword, goodnight & farewell.

However, the calculus has changed significantly post Japanese earthquake. The likely supply chain disruptions to the B787 program are significant. The whole JIT inventory system that is the global supply chain could backfire in spectacular fashion, as Japan is a hub for a huge number of sub-components in almost every piece of technology. Just look at the Boeing 787 supply chain (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=16&ved=0CDoQFjAFOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pmi-media.com%2Fdownloads%2FPMIweb.Boeing.787sample.feb09.pdf&ei=eCCRTY2hHcq6cYCD_FY&usg=AFQjCNGEetHGVnZ3WqQ-hmiR2XO8NIYSPw&sig2=Br_CvdNM4tq5nAZTKqbSAw) to see how significant the Japanese components are to this aircraft.

The likely delays that Boeing will announce in the months ahead to the B787 program will see Qantas reconsider its entire business strategy and "people agenda".

blow.n.gasket
29th Mar 2011, 01:27
Prolonged agony?
What's it to be now,from mis-management?
Death by ten thousand cuts instead of the normal thousand?:ooh:

Keg
29th Mar 2011, 02:42
PIOT Bord, further, what's your source? Doesn't sound too reliable but I suspect chinese whispers could play a part.

PIOT Bord
29th Mar 2011, 03:14
My source is a friend of a friend who thought he overheard someone. (Could have been one or two more friends in there). With such a rock solid source I thought I might ask a question on a pilot's rumour network.

I have had an interesting response though. Is there any truth to it? Things have gone quiet in the last few days. Is there a confidentiality clause attached?

Keg
29th Mar 2011, 11:51
Piot Bord, my previous response probably came out a tad aggressive. Sorry about that. I just don't think it's true and I do suspect chinese whispers.

The state of play from literally 7 days ago was that QF were ignoring the elephant in the room that is job security. Discussions were ongoing over other issues. Given how big those 'other issues' are (scheduling, pattern protection, conditions for new S/Os, 787 conditions, etc) I'd be surprised if it were physically possible to reach resolution on all the nitty gritty in a 7 day period.

That said, I haven't heard anything specific. The few blokes today I spoke to have also heard nothing. On of them is on COM and we talked about YMML holding fuel. I'm sure he would have been spruiking it loud and wide had it gone as you say.

PS: Meetings were scheduled for today and tomorrow and for same time next week too with other 'working group' meetings ongoing.