PDA

View Full Version : Ag Pilot forum?

norwester33
13th Mar 2011, 18:37
Is there a place for an Ag pilot forum only as Biz jets and Ag arent really on the same page/wave length.
Just an Idea and it may generate more Ag pilot interest/ conversations.
Anyway your thoughts.:ok:

Super Cecil
13th Mar 2011, 23:59
It has been discussed but the powers that be are that out of touch they think bizjets and ag go together :rolleyes: To be fair both types of aircraft have wings, anybody else think of any other similarities? :8

Big Pistons Forever
14th Mar 2011, 02:33
Totally different IMO. Ag planes have to land and reload fertilizer or other nasty effluents, corporate aircraft, however have a never ending supply of same eminating from the pax.:E

norwester33
14th Mar 2011, 09:12
well yes I can see how you could put Ag pilots and Corporate pilots together as they often meet up in the Gold lounges one in his overalls covered in ****,fert and chemicals and the other all gold braided out and they spot each other rush together and embrace and talk about how there lives are so similar..................................................... ..:ugh:

FrankR
14th Mar 2011, 17:23
Actually as of 1 April 2011, all the airline categories are going to be open to bus drivers and garbage truck operators. So you will have to first discern if a brake system question or a rant on management is from a bus driver or a bus driver.

screwballburling
15th Mar 2011, 18:05
Ag pilots can fly an aeroplane, which is a rapidly dying art. I lot of other pilots I know cant quite live up to that, including me.

The consequences of an ag pilot getting it wrong can be rather costly for him/her. Loss of situational awareness in GA, unable to program the automatics correctly, being unsuccessful in taking over when those automatics quit, can be rather costly also.

I guess there are similarities. :}

PPRuNe Towers
16th Mar 2011, 07:39
This was an ag forum long before the Bizjet bit was added.

Bizjets arrived due to the tumbleweed blowing through - same with a ballooning forum that never did anything after loads of requests. Little to no traffic at all.

You'll know the answer to this: There must be a cracking good forum for ag folks elsewhere that's thriving nicely? If not, why not?

Just to tickover a subject area, company or branch of flying needs a pool of several hundred interested parties. That's because only 1 in 7 people ever actually post even in a single subject forum.

Getting anything resembling a critical mass for ag people appears to be difficult and that seems consistent over nearly ten years here. I hope there is a thriving site or mail list for you guys somewhere though.

Rob

Super Cecil
16th Mar 2011, 08:04
From memory Rob there was never just an AG forum, it was added to what I thought was this one. I've never understood why it was put in this catergory, the likes of choppers would have a lot more in common. I know of no other forum for AG.

PPRuNe Towers
16th Mar 2011, 10:12
The balloon forum turned into GA and Ag

Not that anyone remembers the balloon forum............

Tumbleweed dominated both previous versions of the present forum.

Incidently, the ag bit got added only after a thread exactly like this one. There was a flurry of life for a couple of months dominated by very experienced Ozmates and a couple of Americans but it died away due to there only being one regular poster - someone may remember his username and a load of the old threads could be revived.

Rob

alpha tango driver
19th Mar 2011, 00:11
that would have been lowleveldevil, but becoming an owner operator seems to have slowed his activity.

I16
12th Apr 2011, 03:36
Anyone read the book 'The Topdressers' by Janic Geelan, very limited print numbers - around 700 copies.
Spotted one for sale on Amazon @ $400.00

zk-eml
12th Apr 2011, 07:13
Yes I have one

FrankR
12th Apr 2011, 19:33
I don't think that the "powers that be" ever really addressed the question: Do you really think that "AG" and "Business jets" go together????

Is there anyone that does?

FR

Gulfstreamaviator
12th Apr 2011, 21:05
Nuff said.

I wish that sometimes I could actually fly an aircraft not just a computer....

glf