PDA

View Full Version : jobs anywhere for lowtimers?

gna
11th Feb 2001, 20:08
hi,

i'm a 300 tt com pilot (ifr and me), faa licenced.
does anyone have ANY idea how to get that first job (anywhere in the world, at any pay)?

Speedjeans
11th Feb 2001, 20:48
See my last post about Tanzania, diffrent sort of flying, enjoy.
SJ's

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

gna
11th Feb 2001, 22:18
thanks for the advise!

i was thinking about africa for a while, but the thing is: don't know anyone there, nor any of the rules e.g. how to convert licences (+cost to get conversions), what kind of job openings over there, what the chances are to get that first job (for food!). could you send me some info SJ?
thanks, and maybe see ya in a few weeks in tanzania?

siggi-Iceland
12th Feb 2001, 00:35
I dont mean to be preaching. My experience with Africa is limited, so far. I think I can say this and others will agree with me. You must do your groundwork, nobody can do this for you. Doing the african convertion thing is difficult and expensive. Alot of hard work and you will need patience and plenty of it. I have respect for those who have completed the process. When I went to Africa last september, I knew nobody and nothing except that it had been done before and thus can be done again. For me that was good enough, you have to go for it and find out. Africa is very exciting, I am in love with her.

Speedjeans
12th Feb 2001, 22:39
gna, while I know how you feel and we all want our first job and what nott, please don't do this I'll work for food and a bed type thing, you have spent enough money and time and tears becoming a Professional Pilot!
Ask for a proper wage!
If you offer the guy your services for food and a bed then the whole industry in Africa will expect the same and then all hell will be let lose.
Just get out to Africa and yes it is hard but stay in a b+b for $5 a night and do the ground work. siggi and I will give you tips as siggi is in Kenya and I'm in Tanzania.
Come on down and you'll be a better man for it when you go for the big airline interview!

Let us know what you will do.

Cheers
SJ's

------------------
Catch you on the flip side!

gna
13th Feb 2001, 19:36
speedjeans, siggi,

i'll keep you posted; i'll try to get to kenya or tanz somwhere by the end of march. thanks for the advise, see ya!