PDA

View Full Version : hi there

Oberoi
12th Mar 2011, 20:33
I want to get PPL(Private pilot License) and I live in NY. I was wondering if it matters from where you get your training and license?
I'll really appreciate your help.

Thanks

A320Dreamer
12th Mar 2011, 22:24
Hello Oberoi,

PPRuNe.net is more focused on Europe than north america,
I think more people will be able to help you with this and any future questions on
www.airlinepilotforums.com (http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)

fernytickles
13th Mar 2011, 01:43
PPRuNe.net is more focused on Europe than north america,

Phooey. I hail from one, and live in the other, have licences from both, fly in both, hang out on pprune and propilotworld.com, as do quite a few others.

Back to the original question, Oberoi. Welcome to the confusing world of aviation. If you reside, and plan to fly, in the USA, best to get an FAA licence. The licensing does not vary from state to state, it is an American licence, not a state licence.

Try to find an airport close to you that has lots of general aviation - so not JFK or Newark, somewhere more like Caldwell, NJ. AirNav (http://www.airnav.com) is a good website for finding airports & info about them, and I'm sure there will be a couple of websites that list flight schools too. It is very important to find an instructor who you can relate to, and who relates to you. Flight training is supposed to be fun, even if it does completely clean out your wallet. If you have the time, take a stroll through AOPA's website, and EAA's website. You might find some like-minded souls on there.

Good luck with your flight training - hope it all goes well.

Mike_Retired_ATC
14th Mar 2011, 19:12
In the New York and New Jersey area there are a lot of private airports that provide flight training, or if you have the money you can attend one of the many flight schools that provide an intensive short term training to become a licensed private pilot.

Flight training is very expensive so be prepared for some sticker shock.