PDA

View Full Version : Avient looking for info

Puck2
12th Mar 2011, 12:49
I may have a job with Avient in the future, anybody want to share some info? Good or bad

Dengue_Dude
12th Mar 2011, 13:07
I left them because I considered them unsafe - maintenance wise. Fans of Photoshop . . .

Management is acutely autocratic. It is not unknown to 'hang the messenger'.

Even operating into Afghanistan, when I asked whether we were insured or not, I only ever got one response 'Andrew will look after you'. Ask the surviving pilot of the MD11 crash in Shanghai how well Andrew looked after him.

BUT, they pay flightcrew on time (or did when I was there). There was (then) plenty of flying, but operating old aircraft (the DC10), at maximum ZFW into Africa, in the dark to some dodgy airports is statistically more hazardous than other types of operation.

It would be wise to consider it VERY carefully. It will pay the mortgage whilst you look for something else.

Best of luck.

CR2
12th Mar 2011, 14:23
DD

All else aside, what is wrong with flying MZFW?

(20+ years 74F)

Dengue_Dude
12th Mar 2011, 23:38
Underperforming engines, up to 3% short of required N1, temp limiting out of SHJ etc.

Sods law states you'll lose one of the good ones and the remain 1.5 engines will take you to the scene of the accident.

These problems (and a host of others) are all attributable to 'mis-handling' by the crew . . .

SO, if it's ONLY max ZFW, then no problem because the performance is predicated on losing the critical engine - I'm at peace with that.

411A
13th Mar 2011, 00:36
...temp limiting out of SHJ etc.

Hardly surprising, in that area in the summertime.:rolleyes:

Dengue_Dude
13th Mar 2011, 08:05
Not surprising they're temp limiting - agreed, especially at 45-50°C.

Surprising when one or more of the engines cannot achieve rated thrust at that ambient temperature (from the ODM) by up to 3%N1, which is a lot of power NOT to have.

Performance predicated on achieving ODM rated thrust at that temp and pressure.

. . . I know, I bit, but not everyone here understands exactly what was being said.

TheChitterneFlyer
13th Mar 2011, 08:15
It's also not uncommon to find a temperature inversion at SHJ/DXB and that turning and climbing at the same time isn't an option!

TCF

liegetrucker
18th Mar 2011, 02:09
Ask the surviving pilot of the MD11 crash in Shanghai how well Andrew looked after him.

"Andrew" send him quick back to USA then pretend he don't exist. Then "Andrew" tell rest of world in public that accident was his fault. Nice man that "Andrew".

Surprising when one or more of the engines cannot achieve rated thrust at that ambient temperature (from the ODM) by up to 3%N1, which is a lot of power NOT to have.

Absolute correct. And no forget the email from suck-up nazi manager at your time that said you would be disciplined if you exceeded EGT limit on take-off. Old DC10 engines rebuilt in reputable Pakistani kebab shop with no spare expensed don't make rated thrust easy. EGT no help when end runway approach. You need more N1. So engineer save his bacon (and crew's to) by pushing levers forward to get calculate performance target. You remember also crews blamed by "Andrew" for 'bending the blades' by descending too fast? Ridiculous.

It will pay the mortgage whilst you look for something else.

Absolute correct.

Zeflo27
20th Mar 2011, 19:07
How come there're 2 X Dengue Dudes now? Just out of curiosity.

411A
20th Mar 2011, 20:03
How come there're 2 X Dengue Dudes now? Just out of curiosity.
Might not be the same...note the original has a space between words.
Suspect it's a clone.

flite idol
21st Mar 2011, 01:39
Thats exactly what a clone would say:ok:

Dengue_Dude
21st Mar 2011, 12:58
Yes it is isn't it.

Guess what, the cookie at work is still there and I've managed to recover my password.

So you're subjected to me or me now. . .

flite idol
21st Mar 2011, 13:05
Well its good to have you both here! ;)

Dengue_Dude
21st Mar 2011, 22:30
We would both like to thank you for your kind words.

Dengue_Dude and his well-known sidekick DengueDude ;)

fergineer
22nd Mar 2011, 00:43
Is the world ready for two of you though DD

Dengue_Dude
22nd Mar 2011, 12:41
If you take guidance from my spouse (and you've met her), she'd say she's been living with both of me for years :ok:

Hope all is 'quiet' up your neck of the woods. The aftershocks hopefully are easing off a bit around Lincoln where our daughter lives.

We're both grandads too!

Enough . . .

fergineer
22nd Mar 2011, 20:10
Can safely confirm the identity of DD either of you is still welcome here mate.

Puck2
23rd Mar 2011, 09:17
Thanks for the advice, regards Puck2

Puck2
23rd Mar 2011, 09:36
About the OO- AOC, I've heard they are going to register ONE Md 11 on OO registration and other aircraft still registated with the Zimbabwe registration. It all has to do with the crew duty time, apparently you can work longuer hours with the Z reg. Zimbabwe gouvernment does not correct their working hours for the time that you report for work. In other words, when you show up at midnight for duty, you can still work for 18 hours crewduty.

Dengue_Dude
23rd Mar 2011, 12:51
Yes that's true. A lesson in flexibility I would say.

We had big issues about CDT when I was there and 'they' relented . . . just a little bit, as we had a CP with cojones. Quite soon afterwards he left and went to an airline.

If I were a cynic, I would probably say dispensation from the ZCAA is directly proportional to the size of the brown paper package he's clutching - rumour was that it contained his lunch . . . he was probably very hungry.

But since I'm not a cynic, I won't. ;)

tspark
23rd Mar 2011, 12:53
Are they down to one DC10 and on MD11 now ?

liegetrucker
24th Mar 2011, 04:20
apparently you can work longuer hours with the Z reg
Ha ha ha. On Z reg with chief pilot with no "cojones" at all you ignore crew duty instead doing what 'management' tell you to do. Remember all crew paperwork can be fix by ops with cut and paste and white paper fluid.

A lesson in flexibility I would say.
DD you are very diplomat. Please say to me you never did 20 hour duty day during your time at Avient on regular basis?

I would probably say dispensation from the ZCAA is directly proportional to the size of the brown paper package he's clutching
DD also say to me you never sit on flight deck during preflight to help skipper counting very large quantities of dollars contain in large brown envelope and deliver to aircraft down route? Remember flight cannot dispatch until cash is all counted? Remember when skipper handing brown paper envelopes full of cash to random africans in those strange places? You are not cynic I think.

Dengue_Dude
24th Mar 2011, 13:03
Liegetrucker.

As I said at the beginning . . . I left.

The CP WITH cojones left and is happy with an airline that respects their staff and observes basic safety rules.

Yes I did one or two 20 hour days before I refused. I thought the worst was Lagos Sharjah Lagos or the other way around. I also remember 'negotiable' maximum landing weights too.

Funnily enough, I did notice men counting money once or twice.

ME . . . a cynic, no it can't be true!

Take care my friend.

Lambrettaman
24th Mar 2011, 17:17
I don't think anyone flying for Avient will be flying Lagos-Sharjah-Lagos in the immediate future as the rumour has it that they are currently banned from flying into the UAE. Anybody got any further news on this ? :sad:

liegetrucker
25th Mar 2011, 11:25
I also remember 'negotiable' maximum landing weights too.

Ah yes. I remember watch new skipper walk around apron in confuse state with mouth open because "Andrew" had given permission to land DC10 overweight 5+ ton. Not allowed dump fuel. Non-cojones CP support melt away like snow in lagos. Amazement.

Bob the Dog
25th Mar 2011, 11:44
what come's around go's around!
They will get what they deserve.................................

:D