PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight requirements for 'Air Despatcher'

NDW
12th Mar 2011, 11:50
A very good afternoon to all,

As the title reads, does or can anybody help me in regards to what the eyesight standards are for the role of Air Despatcher.

395 Air Despatch Troop (Volunteers) - British Army Website (http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/regiments/21322.aspx)

It states that a full-RAF Medical will be required and that eyesight is strict.

I have looked on google with not much success.

If anyone has any info. I would appreciate this.

Kind regards,

NDW

minigundiplomat
12th Mar 2011, 13:00
I'm not sure Air Despatchers go through the complete Aircrew Medical [I stand by to be corrected] in which case it is a standard military eye test, though I would have thought colour blindness [especially green/red] would be a bar.

Grimweasel
12th Mar 2011, 13:50
As minigun said, colour blindness is a bar to entry. Although there was a chap who got thru and even made despatch crew commander with colour blindness. Of course his nick name was 'top light-bottom light' as that is how he knew the difference between red on and green on. He was eventually busted and thrown from the unit.
Standard MES is required (ie fit) as the guys are classed as operating crew as opposed to aircrew.

Kreuger flap
12th Mar 2011, 23:44
Nathan, if you are intending to become a part time flying instructor, when are you going to find time to fit in the TA commitment?

NDW
13th Mar 2011, 09:42
Thanks for your replies thus far, very much appreciated.

Kruger Flap, I am keeping my options open as in these tough times, I'm doing anything I can to find employment within the Aviation sector.:ok:

ukcds
13th Mar 2011, 21:49
hi the requirements are cp3 safe which stands for colour perception 3 which equates to not being colour blind due to having to operate in the dark down the back of Albert and being able to differentiate between red and green lights. Otherwise the standard military eye test is the only other requirement.

hope this helps
UKCDS

NDW
20th Mar 2011, 19:07
ukcds,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am in the position of submitting my application for Air Despatcher (Volunteer) with 395 AD Unit based at RAF Lyneham (soon to be RAF Brize Norton).

Does anyone know the standard military eye test and what the minimum standards allowed are?.

From attending a eye examination on 18/03/2011, I was told my eyesight is still good enough for WSOp (and the late WSO) and I'm not colour blind or colour defficient in anyway.

Kind regards.

airborne_artist
20th Mar 2011, 21:16
NDW - are you always this windy?

You posted this eyesight chart just over a year ago (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/419176-raf-aircrew-eyesight.html#post5772524):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/philm/eye.jpg

I think we can be pretty sure that if you are within limits for WSOp then you'll pass for AD.

Relax, get fit, but don't worry about your eyesight.

NDW
20th Mar 2011, 21:38
A_A,

I apologise profusely, I am indeed too windy :\.

Thanks very much so far for all information.

NDW
2nd Apr 2011, 11:21
Finally got round to submitting my application form for Air Despatcher! :ok:

Fingers crossed this may be my second chance at getting into an Aviation based career!

Thanks