PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get an FI Rating?

Murray_NN
11th Feb 2001, 19:59
Where is best to train for a Flight Instructor's rating?

and

How much?

Cheers!

JimNich
12th Feb 2001, 00:59
Did mine last October/November with Tayside Aviation at Perth. I quite simply cannot recommend them highly enough.

The cost will be between five and six grand and if this sounds expensive you can take comfort in the knowledge you are getting the very best.

Genghis McCann
12th Feb 2001, 12:50
I strongly recommend Old Sarum near Salisbury in Wiltshire. The course is run by a chap called David Scouller, formerly RAF QFI, Test Pilot and ex-boss of the RAF Test Flying Squadron at Boscombe Down. He has a vast knowledge of aviation and has very high standards. It is simply the best training you will ever have. I am now a turboprop captain and years on I still hear his words echoing inside my head as I come into land off some huge crosswind. Give them a call and you will not be disappointed.

Murray_NN
12th Feb 2001, 22:14
Thanks guys.

Anymore on prices?

How long the course lasts and how many hourse of training?

Thanks once again.

Pilot Pete
12th Feb 2001, 22:23
Just as an aside

check cost, obviously, find out what aircraft it will be in, find out who the instructor will be, and, most importantly find out availability of instructor and aircraft.

When I looked to do mine at a perfectly reputable school in the south east I found out that the CFI was the only instructor, he had 2 FI(R) course students currently along with 12 BCPL GFT trainees!!! How often could I have got him all to myself?

I went to St George Flying Club at Teesside where Capt. Eric Reed (CFI) was my instructor. Just like the other replies to your post I found him excellent also. As for price I can't say as it was 2 years ago and I had NVQ. At the time he had only 3 of us, and never accepted many more than that. I did the course (28hrs) in one month.

Regards

PP

skywaytoheaven
12th Feb 2001, 22:43
Pilot Pete - any way you could e-mail me the name of that school in the south-east as I'm considering doing the instructors rating down here. Cheers.

Loony_Pilot
12th Feb 2001, 23:43
Hi,

I'm also looking to do an FI rating soon, preferably somewhere local (I live in hertfordshire) but I'd prefer a quality course thats a bit further..

email me if u have a good recommendation

cheers

LP

Dan Dare
13th Feb 2001, 16:06
Can I offset the cost of FI course against tax? I have a business providing aviation services (usually me) which is deliberately vague, but I guess that FIC is an investment in the company. Would there be any disadvantages if I could do this. Any replies welcome...