PDA

View Full Version : Florida to Bahamas Rental?

Boucher421
11th Mar 2011, 07:07
Looking for more details to previous posts regarding travel/rental from FL to Bahamas. Understand Oli at Fishe is a great way to go. Wondering if there is a cheaper (less "per day" hours required - Oli requires 14 hours over 7 days) alternative. Looking for 5 days @ 1.5 hours per day.

Also - what a/c is good for traveling with 4 adults with bags for a five-day island adventure? I assume a C-172 is out. How about a 182? or a PA-28?

I only have approx 120 civilian flight hours, but 2,000 military flight hours in 25 different a/c types (test pilot). Not sure if this will "limit" me or "open doors" for me. I do have my FAA CFI, Commercial, Mult, IFR ratings as well.

Thanks for any responses. It's silly that I've been flying for 15 years, but am still intimidated by civilian flying at 150 knots! VFR? What is that?

Cheers,

Boucher

Booglebox
11th Mar 2011, 08:57
Whereabouts are you starting from in Florida? I can put you in contact with someone I know who did the same trip fairly recently if you like.

Performance wise, I think one of the new-gen 172s will go further and faster with more load than a PA28, but not by much. Also if you hire a 172SP you get an autopilot and GPS. It won't do 150kts though - think 110 flat out :ok:

A 172 or decent PA28 (Warrior model has increased MTOW) should handle the job, but you won't be able to fill the fuel right up, and you may be tight on bag space. I've never flown a 182 and don't know the figures too well but it will go further and faster with considerably more load than a 172.

If it was up to me and I had a multi rating like you, I would hire a twin (especially as you are in the States and they are relatively cheap) for the fun of playing with extra levers and the over water safety factor.

Have fun though, I'd love to be flying out there again :cool:

ZFT
11th Mar 2011, 09:25
Rented a 172S from KTMB a couple of years ago for just what you are planning. But why would you only want to fly 1.5 hours per day? The scenery down the Exumas is spectacular and we averaged 4+

ScamArtist
11th Mar 2011, 10:12
With both the C172 and PA28 you have absolutely no chance with 4 adults, bags and enough fuel. You may just do it in a C182, I rented one from Tamiami although it was quite a long time ago.

SNS3Guppy
11th Mar 2011, 10:39
Avstar Aviation Flight School (http://www.avsflight.com)

American Flying Adventures (http://www.amfly.com)

They just got a 6 place PA32, as well. They do dry rates, if you want, and reimburse on fuel up to four dollars a gallon.

I don't know what the daily minimums are. Most places I've seen usually have at least a 3 hour daily minimum to offset the lost revenue when the airplane is taken for an extended period.