PDA

View Full Version : QantasLink to Mainline (Trainees)

Riding the Goat
11th Mar 2011, 01:25
I see that the Traineeship is back up and running. I notice on the FAQ's page it states:

Can I later move into Qantas mainline?

QantasLink has an agreement with Qantas Airlines for progression into "Qantas mainline". As a guide, under this agreement pilots are required to be employed for a minimum period of 2 years with QantasLink prior to applying for a position on a heavy jet within Qantas Airlines.

Is this correct, I always thought you had to go through the Qantas Mainline recruitment process with no bias given to QantasLink staff?

QantasLink Recruitment: Attention (http://qantaslink.bfound.net/det-contact.aspx?jobid=95231&CoId=189&rq=4)

Oliver Klozof
11th Mar 2011, 02:16
Irrespective of any agreement that may be in place, you would have to apply to Mainline AND go trough their selection process like everyone else. The Psychometric/Skills assessment used to have a validity of 12 months, though I am unsure if that is still the case.

In any case, Mainline is unlikely to recruit again anytime soon given their penchant for outsourcing flying to the lowest bidder :yuk:

beaver_rotate
11th Mar 2011, 02:23
I'll backflip naked down 34L all the way to QCC should mainline ever recruit again!

Mr. Hat
11th Mar 2011, 02:49
Riding, keep in mind Virgin have started up a regional so Qlink have put on a series of BBQ's around the country. You know just to enhance morale a bit...

There seems to be a mad scramble across the country to get as many cadets thru the system before the Senate Inquiry shuts the process down.

Sharp, Qlink, Skywest all pretty new ads popping up.

Capn Bloggs
11th Mar 2011, 03:10
a series of BBQ's around the country
That explains it. ;) And grog free, I assume. := :)

Popgun
11th Mar 2011, 03:13
beaver_rotate I'll backflip naked down 34L all the way to QCC should mainline ever recruit again!

LMAO!!! Unfortunately spot on BR (though it would be worth closing the runway to watch you!)

Skynews
11th Mar 2011, 04:04
(though it would be worth closing the runway to watch you!)

From a distance I hope?:yuk:

Tankengine
11th Mar 2011, 06:50
"ever" is a long time, last week QF chief pilot said no recruitment until 3rd quarter 2012.:hmm:

From past experience that may mean in a few months!:E

rmcdonal
11th Mar 2011, 09:02
This sounds like the deal they had going with mainline a few years back, all it did was remove one of the Qantas recruiting requirements (eg Maths) and used your current sim scores rather than a sim check.
Still have to do psych and skills, and the interview, and beat everyone else.
Don't join QLink to get into mainline, that's what REX is for. QLink is the Virgin holding pool.

bubble.head
11th Mar 2011, 09:35
Don't join QLink to get into mainline, that's what REX is for. QLink is the Virgin holding pool.

And with the new EBA on offer, the Skywest holding pool too!

harrowing
11th Mar 2011, 22:26
Quote:
a series of BBQ's around the country
That explains it. And grog free, I assume.
No doubt everyone will be cordially invited.

grrowler
12th Mar 2011, 00:46
BBQ's are a great tool for management to increase morale. I'm sure all the management staff will feel the warm glow of (self) appreciation as they gobble down their snags while everyone else is too busy actually working to turn up. Although I guess those with a day off could come in to the airport to share the love...

Cactusjack
12th Mar 2011, 04:56
BBQ's are a great tool for management to increase morale. I'm sure all the management staff will feel the warm glow of (self) appreciation as they gobble down their snags while everyone else is too busy actually working to turn up. Although I guess those with a day off could come in to the airport to share the love...
I believe management have been gobbling down snags for some time !!
Perhaps the BBQ's will climax with the engineers dressed up as the Qantas choir singing 'I Still Call Australia Home' and then have a nice refreshing popsicle or six to complete the love fest !

Di_Vosh
12th Mar 2011, 04:58
Got it in one! :ok:

Apart from Mildura (where most crew live within a 5 min drive from the airport) the only crew who turn up to bbq's are either starting or finishing their shifts.

To the OP:

Can I later move into Qantas mainline?

QantasLink has an agreement with Qantas Airlines for progression into "Qantas mainline". As a guide, under this agreement pilots are required to be employed for a minimum period of 2 years with QantasLink prior to applying for a position on a heavy jet within Qantas Airlines.

I wont call this an outright lie, as this agreement exists. However, it is currently on hold.

DIVOSH!

Kiwiconehead
12th Mar 2011, 05:09
Perhaps the BBQ's will climax with the engineers dressed up as the Qantas choir singing 'I Still Call Australia Home'

If the engineers turned up in todays loving climate they'd probably be docked 4 hours pay for unprotected industrial action.