PDA

View Full Version : How to become a Flying Instructor!

NDW
10th Mar 2011, 19:26
Good evening one and all,

My name is Nathan, I've been using this forum for some while and until recently I have been posting in the Military Aircrew/Rotorheads and Air Traffic Control forums.

My dream is to fly for a living, as I am sure it is for many of you on this forum.

So, as the title reads, I'm looking at trying to become a FI(A) within the next couple of years, and even though I work part-time at a Flying School, I am still not 100% sure on what I need to do.

Do you need a CPL - ATPL (A) to become a Flying Instructor or could you simply do your (N)PPL, do your IR and other ratings and then do a FI course?

I hope I don't sound ignorant in anyway, I'm just keen and it's something I have always wanted to do.:ok:

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

'India-Mike
10th Mar 2011, 19:36
No CPL=no remuneration
Search the forums. There's a fair bit on becoming an FI.
Good luck

TheChitterneFlyer
10th Mar 2011, 19:45
Nathan,

As an absolute minimum you'll require a "pass" from all of the CPL Aviation Knowledge Exams, and, an FI rating from a recognised training establishment. As a PPL holder you can then instruct... but not for remuneration! Should you wish to be "paid" for providing flying-instruction, you'll need to obtain a minimum standard of that of a CPL.

If you're serious about flying, the next logical step (from a PPL) would be a "distance learning course" for the issue of a (frozen) ATPL. You'd require a minimum of 150 (P1) hours to enter into such a scheme.

It's an expensive hobby isn't it?

LASORS will provide you with all of the neccessary details.

All the best

TCF

RTN11
11th Mar 2011, 08:01
If you only intend to instruct, you would not need to do the ATPL exams (14 in total) only the CPL exams (I think 9 in total, LASORS would give the answer)

You only need the ATPL exams if you one day wish to be an airline pilot, hence Airline Pilot Transport Licence. This actually requires a lot of multi crew time to get the full licence, which as an instructor you will never get.

The CPL exams can be done distance learning, and if you have the minumum hours you could then do the FI(A) course at a cost of around £7k. With this, you will be able to give ab-initio training, but not be paid.

If you do want to be paid you will need to do the full CPL(A) course, 25 hours in a complex aircraft at a cost of around £10k.

The other route would be a Class Rating Instructor (CRI) rating. You would not be able to give initial training, so no trial lessons or early lessons, but can give training to people who already have licences on things like Variable Pitch Props, retractable gear, tail wheel, single lever thrust and do people's bi-annual flights for revalidation.

If you have any thoughts of progressing to an airline job you would then need the ATPL exams and an IR, commonly called a "frozen ATPL", although you will not find this term in any legal document.

NDW
11th Mar 2011, 18:00
Thank you all for your replies, and it is very much appreciated.

To be honest, to be paid or not paid, it isn't something that would be the decider for me, its the flying :ok:.

It would most likely be a weekend thing, as I will hopefully be holding down a full-time job as of next week, and once things start to fit in place, I would like to do it as a hobby/spare-time.

I will seriously consider the CPL route, however the only drawback is the cost, but as time progresses I will see what my financial situation is like.

Once again, thanks very much for your replies and I will let you know what heppens.

Kind regards,

Nathan

RTN11
13th Mar 2011, 08:42
Either way, you will still need to do the CPL theory exams, so I would look into a course for that. There are some good distance learning courses where you will be supported through the exams, and should take around 12-18 months.

Whopity
13th Mar 2011, 09:26
By the time Nathan gets to doing a FI rating it will be possible to be remunerated as a FI with a PPL under Part FCL. It will probably be legal as early as May of this year when it becomes EU Law!

NDW
13th Mar 2011, 13:53
Whopity,

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know any CAA Publications I can download in regards to becoming an FI?

Thanks

RTN11
13th Mar 2011, 19:50
LASORS is the guide to licencing, but pretty much as soon as it's published it's out of date.

The ANO and AIP contain all the legal stuff, and they are the definitive documents, but can be very tricky to navigate.

Cows getting bigger
13th Mar 2011, 22:10
Standards Document 10 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Stds%20Doc%2010%20v5%2009%20+%20Supplement%20v1.pdf) is a worthwhile read.

BEagle
14th Mar 2011, 08:10
By the time Nathan gets to doing a FI rating it will be possible to be remunerated as a FI with a PPL under Part FCL. It will probably be legal as early as May of this year when it becomes EU Law!

Not quite. Current indications are that a non-CPL knowledge holding PPL/FI will only be able to receive remuneration for flight instruction at LAPL (not PPL) level. There will also be a minimum hours requirement for aspirant PPL/FIs before they may commence their FI courses.