PDA

View Full Version : Training.... Uk or abroad?

Kalel1987
10th Mar 2011, 14:47
Goodafternoon all, I've been browsing through the pprune forums now and again but now I'm in need of some straighforward advice.

I've saved up abit and can just about afford my atpl training at the moment, the only problem I have is which option is best?

I have dual nationality (Both British & Turkish) and have found a few reasonably priced flight schools in turkey which is beneficial in the sense of both price & good weather conditions for flight time.

Should I go abroad and complete the training in a foreign country or is the training in the united kingdom better (as in more respectable?)

up up untill a few days ago I had it dead set on attempting the 18month course abroad but the average cost is £40k it's not a HUGE saving compared to the full atpl training available here but I have found a modular route of training in Leeds which amounts to roughly the same thing and cost is roughly the same.

Please, some advice would be greatly appreciated.

The only problems I see are:
I haven't a degree

I can easily brush up on my math & physics, I'm confident in that matter. But no certification. :(

thanks in advance for your time & help.

Jerry Lee
10th Mar 2011, 15:50
Have not a degree shouldn't be a problem.

Certification in math & physics? Why?
Is it like OAA entry requirements? Well, there are some italians who went at OAA, APPFO program, and they just had the "Diploma di Maturità", which is a certification that tells that they have finished high school.
No specific certification in each subject seems to be required. I think they're required for student who graduated from english high school...

To become a pilot you don't need to be Einstein, nor you shouldn't need any kind of certification except the high school graduation certiticate.
What I suggest you is to brush-up math and physics, and the study study study at the flight school.

Kalel1987
10th Mar 2011, 16:21
Thanks for your reply, unfortunately I have no qualifications except gcse's. Which is secondary school. I had no choice to drop out of college and work, which in a financial way was a good choice but academically not so much.

I'm quite sure I can learn/train to pass any aptitude test which I may encounter using books/websites if that would be of any help.

So to put things into perspective:

pros:
- I can afford the training.
Cons:
- I have no qualifications to meet the requirements of most aviation schools.

redsnail
10th Mar 2011, 16:36
The minimum education requirement for a job as a pilot in the UK is GSCE's and the appropriate CAA/JAA subjects passed.

Competing for jobs when you are low houred is a different story. You may find it a bit harder so you'll have to be a bit more flexible there.

If you haven't, take a look at the GAPAN site. It might have some useful info.

Good luck.

TopGunGB
10th Mar 2011, 16:37
Stay in the UK.

Yes, it's more expensive. But when it comes to finding a really good FTO, we're spoiled for choice in this country. Find yourself a school with experienced ex-RAF and/or ex-airline pilots. They'll get the very best out of you. More importantly, those are the instructors who generally instruct purely because they enjoy flying. They'll make the whole experience that much more fun... and they always have great stories!

Kalel1987
10th Mar 2011, 16:56
Thanks again for the speedy replies.

I would prefer to be in the uk myself as my English is far better than my Turkish plus I think the training (in my opinion) would be more respectable if done in the uk.

The available uk flight schools do cost a that small but extra plus the dreaded horror stories of having to wait for decent weather to fly scares me.

Any opinions of best choices within the uk that could cope with my non-academic background which doesn't cost an arm & leg?

(added: OAA is an additional £20,000 ontop of the foreign courses and a strict entry examination process?)

Jerry Lee
10th Mar 2011, 17:41
Oops, sorry! For "high school graduation certiticate" I meant GCSEs, which is the english equivalent of "Diploma di Maturità" here in Italy.
Sorry for it, and enjoy your time while flying a plane!:ok:

TopGunGB
10th Mar 2011, 17:50
I wouldn't worry about the weather in the UK. I did the vast majority of my training in this country, including hour-building, and I'd say I missed a flight due to weather maybe 10 times. And if anything, the variable weather conditions will serve you well in reading the weather conditions. I did have to turn back from cross country flights a number of times due to deteriorating weather, but it gave me the confidence to do so.

The FTO I will recommend time and again is Airways Flight Training in Exeter. All the instructors are ex-RAF and ex-airline. The CFI, was even a training captain on the Tristar at Cathay Pacific. Their standards are extremely high, and they will do whatever it takes to get you to that level. They're not money-grabbing, either. Their prices are very reasonable, and they don't expect payment for training until after your skill test (they don't want to add any unnecessary pressure whilst you're training). And they are very friendly. You'll be warmly welcomed each morning with an offer of tea, coffee and biscuits.

Have a look at their website, then give Brian a call. He'll answer any questions you may have.

Kalel1987
10th Mar 2011, 19:50
Thank you TG for the useful direction. I can't seem to find the course on their website in regards to atpl?

Now I'm not dead set on flying a for commercial airline. My goal is to be a pilot and earn a decent living doing something I will enjoy. This could be flying for the military sector, and maybe later on converting to a commercial license?in which case the Exeter link has the military courses available and price wise they seem very good.

Which direction would best suit me? (which course will lead to a job faster?)

rmcb
10th Mar 2011, 23:01
TopGunGB is on the mark, in my opinion. UK is best.