PDA

View Full Version : Testing IR missiles

peeush
10th Mar 2011, 12:58
Hi ,

I request to be educated about testing of IR based homing missiles through this forum. This is about the maximum and minimum range testing of IR missiles.

1. The maximum range of an IR based missile is quoted by a vendor with some basic assumptions of atmospheric conditions. As I understand these relate to the minimum guaranteed performance of the missile. Therefore, it should be possible to be demonstrate the maximum range in integrated condition on an airborne platform.

However, this doesn't seem to be as simple to me. Factors of varying humidity, background etc effecting the IR signature would have a role to play. It would be therefore impossible to validate the maximum range claimed by the vendor even with a 'Test missile' having the same homing head as that of the operational missile less the booster and the coast motor. Therefore, (other than the demonstration by the vendor in the conditions he had chosen) would there be a test method to verify the maximum range during the integration phase of such a missile?

2. My second curiosity is about the minimum range of this type of missile. What are the factors dictating this? Would that be debris safety, saturation of homing head or any other. These factors would enable me to see the relevance of the tests for minimum range (if carried out).

Thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Mar 2011, 10:58
I'm sorry Peeush, but I'm afraid that I'm taking a difficult decision as a moderator - that I think that there are topics here which we shouldn't be encouraging public discussion of.

If you are a TP or FTE, there are "greybeard" advice routes through SFTE and SETP, and if you work for a significant government, you should be able to get this sort of material through your defence college.

But, there are people out there who it is best don't have a detailed understanding of how to evaluate weapons system performance, and I don't wish to expose Pprune to the risk of having helped them out.

I've closed the thread.

G

Genghis
Forum Moderator, Flight Test.