PDA

View Full Version : Droping Parachutes in the South East

Superfly
11th Feb 2001, 14:51
I'm trying to find a nice way to clock up some time and make my logbook more attractive to any potential employer. Does anyone of you know an airfield in Sussex/Kent that has a skydiving club ? THX, Superfly

FatFlyer
11th Feb 2001, 16:25
Headcorn parachute club

Superfly
11th Feb 2001, 16:52
Thanks Fatflyer....

BIG MISTER
11th Feb 2001, 17:13
Sounds interesting Gents.

Never could quite figure out why people jump out of aircraft !

What qualifications do you need for this type of flying ?

Also do you need any special training ?
( other than a quick rate 4 turn to dislodge the less willing students from the door ! )

chipped prop
11th Feb 2001, 18:17
A chap called Chris who sadly is no longer with us used to work the radio at Headcorn.On a calm day with clear blue skies the first time jumpers would take their turn.Apparently this was always the kind of day someone may break an ankle, Chris would wait in anticipation to ring for the ambulance.Possibly the first time jumpers were distracted by a constant flow of aircraft landing at the field or the occaisional pilot ingnoring normal joining proceedures and joining overhead .Maybe he thought the same way as me why jump out if the aircraft is still flying.Never the less i still believe this activity is safer than jumping off a hill clutching hold of a kite.

Superfly
11th Feb 2001, 20:50
Big Mister, You need to be signed-off by an authorized Instructor - don't know all the details yet. Will let you know next week-end as I'll get signed off next saturday...

BIG MISTER
12th Feb 2001, 06:35
Thanks SuperFly

I await your comments with interest !

As regards people on the end of silk my dad used to do mad things like that. They used ex WW2 stuff and how they managed to stay alive God only knows !

He had two mains fail to open and had to use the reserve. The club rule was that if you did this you had to buy the club a beer unless you held onto the D-ring....

All I can say is the Old boy used to fly as a PPL as well...needless to say...all his money went on flying...two D-rings firmly held in white knuckles to the club room ! ! !

Snowball
12th Feb 2001, 18:49
For anyone interested in working as a Jump Pilot I suggest you look at the British Parachute Association web site from where all the detailed requirements can be downloaded in .pdf form

Superfly
12th Feb 2001, 20:01
even better ! Thank you Snowball, Do you have the URL by any chance ? THX

Go-Around
12th Feb 2001, 20:08
Try:
http://www.bpa.org.uk/code/forms.cfm
GA

feetnkneestogether
13th Feb 2001, 16:03
Completely irrelevantly.........I would like to recommend to anybody who will listen that parachuting is a must for a life experience.

As we used to say to our baby Paras "You're not a man until you've had some more wind in your smock and slipstream up yer arse !!"

Join the airborne brotherhood....hurrah !

Superfly
13th Feb 2001, 17:52
By the way Feetnkneestogether, You're not looking for a nice, young, dedicated, serious Cesnna 206 pilot in your Para association ? if yes, I'm more than willing to go for the big scarry jump !! Superfly

stremair
14th Feb 2001, 15:00
Make sure you get PAID. Dont get ripped off!

Hot&Heavy
14th Feb 2001, 15:41
I highly rate parachute drop flying. I still look back on it as some of the most enjoyable flying I've ever done.

It is a most eerie feeling to have an aircraft jam-packed with meatbombs, all grinning from ear to ear, and then suddenly you're all alone.

I was in the fortunate position to be meatbombing part-time alongside my full-time flying job. Rather than being paid, I had a happy arrangement at the DZ to get free jumps in lieu.

On this basis I only ever paid for a handful of jumps (AFF training course) and the rest were on the house - plus I got to do some crazy flying in a C185. Imagine 5 skydivers hanging off struts, undercarriage, door frames, the wing - anything they could hold onto, so they can all exit together. Great stuff.

Needless to say I love skydiving but have found that most pilots do have a natural aversion to it. I wouldn't say that it's better than sex, but you can have disappointing sex - you can never have a disappointing skydive.

If you are a low-hour wannabee, I reckon this is a great way to build hours. You get to know the aircraft intimately and watch cute tourists fizzing at the bunghole (an old nautical term I picked up somewhere).

H&H

feetnkneestogether
14th Feb 2001, 16:38
Sorry Superfly, I was a cherry beret with Her Majesty's Finest and am now confined to having to pay to jump like everyone else and don't run my own club.

....and as for you skydivers .....try jumping at 800 feet with a 150lbs of kit attached to your leg ....at night !
"Permission for bottom lip to tremble sir ?"

BN2A
14th Feb 2001, 23:18
Hot&Heavy,
G-BKPC??
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

feetnkneestogether,
300ft, 49 year old three pin kit??
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Superfly
15th Feb 2001, 03:02
Stremair,

Appreciate your point but I'm so desesperate to get the hours up that I don't care not being paid for what I do love to do (Flying !!) , exception made,off course, of taking responsability for 200 or so PAXES.
So here is my message in a bottle: Is there anyone here knowing an available seat in a parachute dropper thingy ? I'll fly it ! >>>>>> and I'm Bl@@dy serious !!!!!
Shall we ask Captain PPRUNE for the setup of a job ads page ????

Happy landings, Superfly

BIG MISTER
15th Feb 2001, 07:18
Sounds good to me Superfly !

Hot&Heavy
15th Feb 2001, 17:21
BN2A -

no I flew the C185 in NZ. I imagine that if I flew meatbombs here I'd be out of work half the year because of the WX!

Not sure about here, but in NZ you're allowed to drop skydivers through 8/8 cloud which increases the chances of jumping as well. Makes life interesting when you are dropping into a DZ that is right next to finals on a VOR approach.

H&H

actionman
19th Feb 2001, 19:16
Anyone know of any parachuting clubs/schools in the South apart from Netheravon or Dunkeswell ?

Having made the giant leap once or twice myself, military and civilian, I reckon it's time to drive the delivery means for a bit.

PPRuNe Towers
19th Feb 2001, 20:17
BN2A - Red sky at night?
Cockerham's alight......

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
BPA Pilot No.15
[email protected]