PDA

View Full Version : Anger management vs mission management.

hanoijane
10th Mar 2011, 03:22
The suggestion that (some, or at least one, oh ok they were referring to me) pilot on pprune indulge in anger management therapy is quite interesting. I've recently been involved, though only on the periphery, of a program examining the psychological response to combat stress. Without wishing to preempt the findings of my esteemed colleagues - 'cos the program is still ongoing -there would appear to a body of evidence which suggests that those individuals inclined to seemingly-irrational outbursts of anger cope far better under situations of non-verbal stress than those who adopt a calmer, more measured approach to life.

Why this should be so is a matter of some concern. But it would suggest that the ability to think rationally under stress may be linked to repeated exposure to self-induced stressors. Put simply, these individuals may enjoy the 'stress experince' and actually seek to incorporate it into their everyday world, hence their over-the-top reaction to events or comments others would consider minimally upsetting.

What's also interesting is that this personality trait has long been regarded as a caveat against employment of an individual in high stress situations, yet many of the more competent pilots of my acquaintance could well be described as having somewhat 'excitable' personalities.

So, do ranting ninnies in the crew room (or on pprune) make better combat pilots? Discuss

ghostnav
10th Mar 2011, 06:48
...........No