PDA

View Full Version : Survey flight approvals?

Floppy Link
9th Mar 2011, 14:35
Folks,

just a train of thought thing...need to settle an argument with myself

When the aerial survey folks* go and do their grids for LIDAR or photogrammetric surveys, do they need an specific approval for each job or can they just rock up on freq and ask ATC for what they need. Outside CAS I assume they just get on with it, but inside? We had one at Glasgow last summer and with a bit of give and take on both sides he didn't seem to get in anybody's way at 6000ft or so.

I suppose different countries have different rules. Does our beloved (UK) CAA take great pleasure in finding something else to charge for?

Thanks

( * not the little Cessna taking air to ground photos but the bigger stuff with holes in the floor and lots of electronics in the back )

papajuliettango
9th Mar 2011, 18:16
Yes,

See NATS Non Standard Flight System (http://www.nats.co.uk/nsf/)

cheers

PJT

buzzc152
9th Mar 2011, 19:02
I worked in survey flying for 3 years. Often you could just turn up and negotiate with ATC but we always had NSF numbers to hand. For London TMA you'd have to call them on the phone in the morning to get approval........trouble was on a sunny blue morning every survey guy in the world was on the phone trying to get approval.....could be quite frustrating at times. Good years though, I miss it (sometimes).;)

Booglebox
9th Mar 2011, 22:49
Not splitting hairs but I have a friend with a 172SP with a hole in the back, bunch of electronics, automatics will fly a predetermined route to maximise efficiency... :} :cool:

Floppy Link
10th Mar 2011, 15:37
172 IS bigger stuff! I was thinking more of the 152 with a handheld lens sticking out the window when I made the comment.

Thanks all for the replies folks :ok:

kitekruncher
10th Mar 2011, 17:57
If you are not already aware of this good idea to brief yourself on the following regarding CANP

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/aic/EG_Circ_2010_Y_075_en.pdf

happy Landings

KK