PDA

View Full Version : Cumbria helicopter crash: tributes and condolences

Barshifter
9th Mar 2011, 11:01
BBC News - Pilot killed in Cumbria helicopter crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-12685523)

The owner of a Cumbria tourist attraction has died in a helicopter crash.
The family of Mark Weir, 45, who ran Honister Slate Mine in Borrowdale, near Keswick, raised concerns on Tuesday night when he failed to return home.
Police and mountain rescue teams found a helicopter crashed near the mine early on Wednesday.
His family said they were "totally devastated" by their loss and tourism leaders paid tribute to Mr Weir.
Father-of-three Mr Weir had left the slate mine in his helicopter but when he failed to return to his home in Cockermouth the alarm was raised by his wife.
Cockermouth and Keswick Mountain Rescue Teams were involved in the search along with Cumbria Police.
Mr Weir was found dead in the helicopter at the scene.
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/51594000/jpg/_51594737_crashscene.jpg
The crashed helicopter was found near the mine

'Spirited dynamism' Visitors to Honister can take guided tours into the mine, where slate is still extracted.
A Honister spokesman said: "Mark was a charismatic Lake District legend with a lust for life and a giant personality.
"He was passionate about everything he did from fatherhood to flying and business.
"He loved questioning authority but won many doubters over through sheer force of his personality."
He said he loved flying and was a fully-trained pilot with decades of experience.
"He is irreplaceable both as a man, a son, a father, a partner, a businessman, a boss and a human being," he said.
Cumbria Tourism chairman Eric Robson said Mr Weir would be enormously missed.
He said: "Mark brought such a spirited dynamism to the debate about creating a thriving tourism economy in the Lakes.
"He genuinely loved Honister and the community of Borrowdale. He was rooted there and wanted to do the best for them."
An investigation is under way into the cause of the crash.

stringfellow
9th Mar 2011, 11:13
very sad news indeed. a thread on this tragic topic emerged this morning it seems to have evaporated. any news??????

jjangus
9th Mar 2011, 11:24
Statement from Honister Slate Mine
The family and staff of Honister Slate Mine have today requested the following tribute be circulated to the media.
Just after 7pm last night (Tuesday March 8th) Mark left the slate mine in his helicopter following a day’s work at his mining and tourism business at the top of Honister Pass near Keswick, Borrowdale, Cumbria.
When he failed to return to his home near Cockermouth, his wife and the mother of his three children alerted the emergency services.
A search of the area by the authorities located his stricken helicopter from which his body was recovered.
At this time, the precise circumstances and causes of the accident are unknown. A full investigation is under way.
Mark was 45. Mark's family and staff at Honister Slate Mine are “totally devastated,” and bereft by their loss.
http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/userimages/mark(3).jpg
The family and staff fully respect the right of the media to ascertain more information but respectful request that they do not directly approach or contact the family as they attempt to cope with this profound and tragic loss.
A spokesman for Honister said: “Mark was a charismatic Lake District legend with a lust for life and a giant personality. He was passionate about everything he did from fatherhood to flying and business. He loved questioning authority but won many doubters over through sheer force of his personality. He was that rare mix of shrewd businessman and creative entrepreneur – just as comfortable in the company of Royalty and celebrity, as he was driving diggers with slate miners or making tea with the tourists who flocked to the mine. Mark loved Honister and Mark was Honister. He loved flying, he loved life in the Lake District. He was a fully-trained pilot with decades of experience and would never take a risk. He is irreplaceable both as a man, a son, a father, a partner, a businessman, a boss and a human being.”
Eric Robson, Chairman of Cumbria Tourism, paid tribute on behalf of the Lake District tourism industry. He said: “Mark brought such a spirited dynamism to the debate about creating a thriving tourism economy to the Lakes. He genuinely loved Honister and the community of Borrowdale, he was rooted there and wanted to do the best for them.
“You also have to give him credit for how he pushed projects through when everybody was saying you can’t do that or you’ll never get away with it. He did, and he brought a tremendous amount of joy to people who enjoyed them. He will be enormously missed.”

AdyL
9th Mar 2011, 11:52
Very sad news.

All our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends...

Keepitup
9th Mar 2011, 12:23
:(
Very Very Sad, News.
Mark was an inspiration to life.
Great Guy, never a dull moment with him around.
At least the angels will have someone to give them a laugh.

My heart goes out to the family and friends, God bless.

R.I.P Mark

Keepitup.

1helicopterppl
9th Mar 2011, 12:52
I undertsand heli involved to be HA-LFB.

Aser
9th Mar 2011, 12:55
R.I.P. :(

Aser

stringfellow
9th Mar 2011, 13:18
yet more tragic news. conditions up here were appalling last night, windy wet and haily. don't know about vis but cant have been good. an informative thread been running all morning with some heart felt tributes but it appears to have vanished... any news mods???

The other thread was deleted by the Original Poster, md 600 driver.

SP

fisbangwollop
9th Mar 2011, 13:20
Total shock. Mark on occasions spoke to me at Scottish Information. A few years back he invited myself and my Wife to visit his mine. He was the most charming and friendly person I have ever met....an ace guy that will be immpossible to replace.....only a few days ago we spoke as he flew out from his mine on a short tour around the area.

I am in total shock and feel so sorry for his family and friends.

RIP Mark you will be missed by us all at Scottish Information.

lynx no more
9th Mar 2011, 13:39
RIP,
The police have just been interviewed at the scene on the news and said the same about the weather last night.
Very sad news.
LNM.

Steve90
9th Mar 2011, 13:48
RIP Mark.
I still can’t come to terms with this shocking and upsetting news about a guy who was so well liked and did a lot for this area.

I have met Mark on several occasions at Carlisle when he came into the airport in his helicopter to uplift fuel. He often used to call us on the radio when inbound to the Carlisle Rugby club or various other private sites around the area.

My thoughts are with his family and the slate mine colleagues during these very difficult times.

Steve

Carlisle Airport

JTobias
9th Mar 2011, 15:31
Sad news,

Anyone know the aircraft type?
A Gazelle ?

Best wishes to friends and family.

Joel :ok:

west lakes
9th Mar 2011, 15:42
Anyone know the aircraft type?
A Gazelle

A Hungarian registered Gazelle

The area has lost a nice guy in this accident

Savoia
9th Mar 2011, 15:44
As posted this morning:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TXdQNMDLzKI/AAAAAAAAB-I/kvrMeCpvNvw/s720/341G%20Breighton%2022%20Aug%2010%20%28Stephen%20P%29.jpg
Honister Slate Mine owner Mark Weir pilots his Hungarian registered SA341G Gazelle into the 'Summer Madness' fly in at Breighton on 22nd August 2010

RIP :(

S

sammypilot
9th Mar 2011, 16:16
Unusual registration to be operating in the U.K. From his appearances on television, he was a young man who clearly enjoyed life and put a lot into whatever he did.

fisbangwollop
9th Mar 2011, 17:18
Now I have had time to get my thoughts together I would like to say a few words. I first met Mark through my ATC job at Scottish Information. He would call me on a daily basis as he comuted the short distance from his home to the mine in his Gazelle YUHEI, later to be replaced by another Gazelle HALFB.Although at times we only spoke for a few minutes we drummed up a real aviation friendship....many times he would ask when are you coming to visit?? Eventually one day both my Wife and myself pitched up at the mine, although busy he dropped everything and spent the next 2 hours with us. We were bundled into a Jeep and driven up the mountain side and into the mine. He then took us into this huge ampitheatre that had been quarried out and hopefully one day was going to be his dream and turned into some sort of musical experiance. Then it was back down the mountain and we were shown how roof slates were fashioned by hand.
From the moment I met him I realised what a great guy he was.....so full of enthusiasm for everything, especially the mine, aviation and off course his cherished family. If I wanted to model myself on the nicest person in the world Mark would be that person.
Mark toiled long hours alone using his bear hands and turned that mine around from being disused to the huge tourist attraction it is today bringing much needed employment to the local area.
Only 4 days ago we spoke as he flew around over the Lakes, indeed he helped me out by relaying to an aircraft that I had lost contact with.
To be honest I am still in shock, as I guess many of his friends will be......one thing for sure I am glad my life was brightened by meeting such a lovely and friendly and enthusiastic person....the airwaves of Scottish Info will never be the same again without his cheery voice to cheer us all up on a gloomy day...... RIP my friend.

Zishelix
9th Mar 2011, 17:26
As a Gazelle enthusiast I am very sad to read about this accident. My condolences go to the family and friends of the pilot.

As it happens I was in contact with previous owner of this aircraft, I'm sorry to hear for such tragic lost of life and a nice machine.

RIP

Savoia
9th Mar 2011, 17:54
FisBang what a touching tribute.

Some more about Mark:

Mark Weir, 44, was flying solo on a routine flight when the aircraft came down close to the Honister mine between Borrowdale and Buttermere, which he reopened 14 years ago.

A flamboyant entrepreneur, Weir installed the UK's first "via ferrata", or metal climbing ladder, on the cliffs of Honister Crag and took about 60,000 visitors a year on guided tours of the vast warren of passages and caves.
He also restarted production of the celebrated local slate, which has a greenish-blue vein and has been used to roof some of the country's best-known buildings since the early 19th century.

Weir's body was found amid the helicopter's wreckage. He had set off to fly home on Tuesday evening after a day's work. Cockermouth mountain rescue team and a helicopter from RAF Kinross mounted a search and the crash site was found shortly before 1am on Wednesday.

A spokeswoman for Cumbria police said: "At 10.10pm on Tuesday, police received a call reporting concern for the welfare of 44-year-old John Henry Mark Weir from Mosser in Cockermouth, after he failed to return home after a short routine flight in his helicopter. Sadly, at 12.44am on Wednesday 9 March, a helicopter was found crashed, 200 metres south-east of the Honister slate mine, in Borrowdale. The pilot was found dead in the helicopter at the scene.

"Formal identification is yet to take place. However, it is believed to be local man Mark Weir. His family have been informed and will be supported by trained family liaison officers. Fire and rescue crews attended and the Civil Aviation Authority team from Swanwick has been deployed who will lead the air crash investigation."

A spokesman for Honister slate mine said the attraction's 30 staff were bereft and totally devastated by the loss of their leader, who was a fully trained and experienced pilot and "would never take any risks".

"Mark was a charismatic Lake District legend with a lust for life and a giant personality," he said. "He was passionate about everything he did from fatherhood to flying and business. He loved questioning authority but won many doubters over through sheer force of his personality.

"He was that rare mix of shrewd businessman and creative entrepreneur, just as comfortable in the company of royalty and celebrity as he was driving diggers with slate miners or making tea with the tourists who flocked to the mine. He loved Honister, indeed was Honister. He loved flying, he loved life in the Lake District. He is irreplaceable as a man, a son, a father, a partner, a businessman, a boss and a human being."

Weir and his business partner, Bill Taylor, brought modern marketing techniques to the isolated Honister site, a huddle of grey buildings in a jumble of mines and quarries at the summit of the 356-metre (1,167 foot) pass. A string of celebrities from the Duke of Edinburgh to Kim Wilde visited and posed for photographs as ever more exotic plans for underground and cliff-face attractions were proposed. Trekkers on the coast-to-coast walk that passes over Honister regularly found free tea on offer, alongside souvenir "coast-to-coasters", light enough to carry in their rucksacks.

Weir came from a Lake District family. His grandfather was employed at Honister in its Victorian heyday when more than 100 miners hacked out 3,000 tonnes of slate a year. He left secondary modern school at 16 and worked as a farm labourer and grave digger before building up a business empire that included retirement homes, a pub, fish and chip shops and a helicopter company in Leeds.

He was made Cumbria's director of the year in 2008. Weir is survived by his partner Jan and three children aged between 11 and 14.

Millionaire creator of Lake District attraction dies in helicopter crash | World news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/09/millionaire-dies-helicopter-crash)

http://www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/userimages/tatton%20final%20-%20website.jpg
Mark with Eric Robson, Chairman of the Cumbria Tourism Authority

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/polopoly_fs/mark-weir-helicopter-photo-1.815996!image/462473778.jpg_gen/derivatives/leadPic300/462473778.jpg
Scene from the crash site

http://noviomagus.tripod.com/black-ribbon.gif

Deepest condolences to Jan, children, family and friends.

S.

Echini
9th Mar 2011, 18:59
We visit the lake district frequently and have been here for the last few weeks. We have visited Honister several times and met Mark a number of times. We often saw his green Gazelle flying down the valleys.
What he achieved at Honister is remarkable and I hope that it will continue to thrive as a fitting memorial to a very special individual.
The weather here last night was very stormy with high winds, rain and poor visibility. Honister pass acts as a funnel for the wind, which can be tricky at the best of times.
All our thoughts are with his family, friends and employees.
He will be greatly missed.

stringfellow
9th Mar 2011, 21:06
fishbangwallop. what a brilliant tale. a fitting obituary.

running a rural business is really, really hard. its not 5 days a week you have to live and breathe it 24 7. the authorities are not interested and the public can be terryfying. but get it right and the rewards are enormous.

and mark saw an opportunity where no one else dared and not only laughed in the face of adversity but actually thrived in it.

i never met mark, but last month on a lovely lakeland winter day i collected a friend who knew mark and he immediately suggested we go see him. i had wanted to meet him for years and this was my chance. i picked my way through the mountains in an r44 and circled above at 5000ft. what a forboding fortress. right on a ridge line, with winds that must have funnelled up the hill side. this was marks kingdom, no place for a novice 44 pilot. i declined and we dropped the lever back to the seaside.

imagine the scene last night, wind, snow and darkness. the reason why i sit bereft for a man i never met is because daily i struggle with the complexities of running a rural business but beacons like mark weir prove anything is possible. his ability to glide through problems and turn any conceivable issue into a positive is THE key to surviving in this environment. at the entrance to his slate mine, engraved is the following.

" to hope is to risk despair, to try is to risk failure. but risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. the person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, and becomes nothing"

rip. i can't begin to consider your legacy such will be its size.

toptobottom
10th Mar 2011, 14:04
The owner of a Cumbria tourist attraction has died in a helicopter crash.
The family of Mark Weir, 45, who ran Honister Slate Mine in Borrowdale, near Keswick, raised concerns on Tuesday night when he failed to return home.
Police and mountain rescue teams found a helicopter crashed near the mine early on Wednesday.
His family said they were "totally devastated" by their loss and tourism leaders paid tribute to Mr Weir.
Father-of-three Mr Weir had left the slate mine in his helicopter but when he failed to return to his home in Cockermouth the alarm was raised by his wife.
Cockermouth and Keswick Mountain Rescue Teams were involved in the search along with Cumbria Police.
Mr Weir was found dead in the helicopter at the scene.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/weir1.jpg

'Spirited dynamism'
Visitors to Honister can take guided tours into the mine, where slate is still extracted.
A Honister spokesman said: "Mark was a charismatic Lake District legend with a lust for life and a giant personality.
"He was passionate about everything he did from fatherhood to flying and business.
"He loved questioning authority but won many doubters over through sheer force of his personality."
He said he loved flying and was a fully-trained pilot with decades of experience.
"He is irreplaceable both as a man, a son, a father, a partner, a businessman, a boss and a human being," he said.
Cumbria Tourism chairman Eric Robson said Mr Weir would be enormously missed.
He said: "Mark brought such a spirited dynamism to the debate about creating a thriving tourism economy in the Lakes.
"He genuinely loved Honister and the community of Borrowdale. He was rooted there and wanted to do the best for them."
An investigation is under way into the cause of the crash.

http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab71/prooner/weir.jpg

I knew Mark quite well. A great pilot and huge character - so generous and thoughtful. I feel quite sick.

Condolences to his family. RIP mate.

toptobottom
10th Mar 2011, 14:28
more here (http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/8897703.Man_dies_in_Lake_District_helicopter_crash/).

toptobottom
10th Mar 2011, 18:33
fishbangwallop - apologies, i missed the first posting.

SP - please can you merge this thread with the original? In the meantime, if anyone wants to see the kind of guy Mark was, go to YouTube and search for 'Honister helicopter'.

"It is better to live like a tiger for a day, than like a mouse all your life"

That sums up Mark. Such a lovely fella.

stringfellow
10th Mar 2011, 19:34
or same theme try honister how to pull a jcb up a mountain. there are so few like mark they should have preservation orders on.

fisbangwollop
10th Mar 2011, 20:11
the JCB gag just summed Mark up.....anything for a challenge and done with a smile......still hurting today, not enough good folk around like Mark.

fkelly
11th Mar 2011, 10:26
Is it known whether it was full dark when the aircraft departed?

Savoia
13th Mar 2011, 10:55
Some of the latest reports:

Scores of tributes have been paid to one of Cumbria’s most colourful businessmen after the helicopter he was piloting crashed in the Lake District

http://www.grough.co.uk/lib/img/editorial/markweir.jpg
The late Mark Weir at his Honister Mine

Air accident investigators have been sifting through the wreckage of the helicopter crash that killed Mark Weir to discover what caused the tragedy.

A spokesman for the Air Accident Investigation Branch said they may recover the helicopter wreckage back to the AAIB headquarters in Farnborough, Hampshire. “The investigation will continue to try and determine the circumstances of the accident.”

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/polopoly_fs/mark-weir-photo-1.815877!image/1902253754.jpg_gen/derivatives/wholeColumn/1902253754.jpg
Mr Weir at the controls of his Gazelle helicopter

Tributes:

A truly inspirational person, an extremely talented pilot, and unique friend and guardian of the Lakes. Thank you Mark, thank you for showing us that as important is to live, it is important to do it fully, always leaving time to help others and do good on your way. We will miss you dear brother of the air, but we shall meet at teh end of the road, and share the skies once again. For our wings, you shall always be the wind... Lots of love and support for your lovely wife and children from the paragliding community.
- Paolo

A brilliant Star has fallen from our Cumbrian sky. Mark will be sorely missed - an inspiration to us all. Deepest condolences to all who loved him.
- Peter Frost-Pennington

Very, very shocked and saddened to hear about Mark Weir's death. Such a wonderful character will be sorely missed. He was a shining example of what can be achieved by determination and passion. A great loss for the whole county. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.
- Kathryn and Ian

Whilst I don't feel qualified to talk about Mark as a person I can only describe the effect he had on me and the crew. We were not only overwhelmed by his generosity but moreover his lust for life came across as soon as we met him. In spending just a day with him and listening to some of his fascinating and brave anecdotes, it sounded as if he had already lived a couple of lifetimes. My thoughts and deepest sympathy go to his friends and family.
- Jonnie Irwin

News & Star | News | Tributes to Cumbrian mine owner killed in helicopter crash (http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/tributes-to-cumbrian-mine-owner-killed-in-helicopter-crash-1.815873?referrerPath=sport/haven)

Savoia
15th Mar 2011, 12:35
This just out:

Partner pays tribute to 'compassionate' Lakes boss after helicopter tragedy

The partner of Mark Weir, who died last Tuesday when his helicopter crashed near to his Honister Slate Mine, has paid tribute to her 'soulmate'. Jan Wilkinson said that the 45-year-old was 'compassionate, loving and hardworking”.

She said: “Mark was generous, compassionate, loving, funny, adorable and energetic. He always had a glass half-full mentality. He had an effect on people, a positive effect. Even though he wouldn’t sometimes get home from work until 2.30am, he always wanted to get up and say goodbye to the kids before they went to school, or have a cuddle in bed with them.”

“He loved all life and all living things – teaching his children that even spiders had a place in life and deserved to live. He hated spiders but he would sit on the floor and take his shirt off and put one on his stomach under a glass to show his children they wouldn’t bite or do any harm, and allay their fears.”

The pair met when Mark was 19 and were together for 27 years and had three children together.

She added: “What a lot of people didn’t see was that he helped so many people from kids that were poorly to people that had problems with drugs, and friends and relatives that needed jobs doing.

He always wanted to do right by everybody and give them his time or help them if they were struggling. Even at work he wanted to make time for people and help them, but it always meant he had more to do at the end of his day."

“He phoned me that night and said: “I’m just ringing to say I love you” I said I love you too darling and I'll see you soon. That was him. The unexpectedness of the phone call was typical Mark.”

Ms Wilkinson alerted the emergency services on Tuesday, March 8, when Mr Weir failed to return home from work at the slate mine in his helicopter. Mr Weir's helicopter and body was found in an isolated area 200 metres from the slate mine.

Jan said: “The hardest thing I had to do was ring the Mountain Rescue Team yet every member of the team turned out to look for him and I’ll always be grateful to them for that. At the site, they were absolutely distraught.”

Mark’s mother Celia Taylor-Weir, said: “Mark couldn’t understand why his ideas had to be talked about for months and sometimes years.”
Jan added: “We never realised how many people admired, loved and were touched by Mark. The hundreds of cards, phonecalls, flowers and emails has amazed us. I would like to think Mark would have been embarrassed by it but I can’t because he would have loved it.”

The funeral service commemorating Mark Weir will take place at 1pm on Monday, March 21, 2011 at St. John’s Church, Keswick. People are encouraged to wear something “Orange,” to commemorate the bright colours of Honister, and Mark’s personality.

A wake will then take place at The Lodore Hotel, Borrowdale, from 2.15pm. After the Keswick service, a private burial service attended by family and Honister Slate Mine staff only, will take place at St Andrew’s Church in Borrowdale.

The family intends to host another event in the summer commemorating Mark’s life and will post details of this online at www.honister.com (http://www.honister.com/)

Partner pays tribute to 'compassionate' Lakes boss after helicopter crash (From The Westmorland Gazette) (http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/8909986.Partner_pays_tribute_to__compassionate__Lakes_boss_a fter_helicopter_tragedy/)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TX9as9ttOQI/AAAAAAAACFk/ERmq5TZ6G8k/s720/Mark%20Weir%20SA341G%20over%20Cumbria.jpg
Mark in his Honister-slate-green Gazelle 'LFB' over Cumbria last summer (Photo: Mark Wright)

http://noviomagus.tripod.com/black-ribbon.gif

S.

helihub
15th Mar 2011, 17:39
The description under that photo is not accurate, Savoia, and I realise you probably copied it from elsewhere. "Slate green" is a dark grey/green, nothing like as bright as the helicopter.

HA-LFB, and indeed its sister ship LFE which Mark also owned, are painted in "DuPont green" which is relevant because LFB started off life as the corporate hack with DuPont Australia, with the US registration N223DP [DP=DuPont]

stringfellow
15th Mar 2011, 19:20
savoia thank you for keeping the thread alive with some really touching tributes. the mark weir facebook site has lots more for those who want an insight into a truly irreplaceable man.

Zishelix
15th Mar 2011, 19:29
Helihub, I think the c/n 1074 was registered F-WKQI and N90778 (to SNIAS and Vought Helicopters) before it become N223DP. Indeed, both regs worn for a short period of time and I doubt they were painted on the helicopter. According info I have, the first owner in USA was Fox Valley Enterprises Inc. (Mr. DuPont's company?). However, the helicopter had different paintwork as N223DP.
Excuse me for posting such trivia on this serious thread…

toptobottom
15th Mar 2011, 19:54
Some people... Perhaps you'd like to comment on the shade of orange on his website too? :ugh:

helihub
15th Mar 2011, 20:47
TTB - if you're referring to my comments on slate green, it was merely from a point of accuracy, and Mark used to point that out to people as well. I regularly visit up that way walking the hills and have relatives in Keswick, and a timeshare property which I look out of straight down the Borrowdale Valley - the head of which is Honister Pass where the mine is. I have been a regular at Honister from before Mark took it over from McAlpines, and am certain he did more to boost tourism than practically anyone in that area.

Zisheli - I'm sure you're right. I was just pointing out the primary owner of the helicopter for the greater majority of its life prior to Mark buying it was DuPont

Savoia
16th Mar 2011, 06:11
The Mark Weir FB page has lots more for those who want an insight into a truly irreplaceable man.

Herewith a small selection of tributes and images from that page:

The clock of life is wounf but once,
And no man has the power,
To tell just where the hands will stop,
At late or early hour.
- Charlie Hicks

Respect this place, this hallowed ground
A legend here his rest has found
His feet would fly, our spirits soar
He earned our love for ever more .......... you will be missed Mark x
- Kate Mackintosh

Mark was a real inspiration to me and to so many others. It was a privilege to listen to his ideas, tumbling out like a Lakeland gill in full flow. How great it would be to see the zip wire completed - a fitting tribute to a man who made a huge contribution to Lakeland life.
- Chris Tomlinson

You made flying look so easy, you are an incredible loss and the whole of Cumbria is missing you. R.I.P. Mark.
- Lewis Palmer

I will miss you like i miss my Grandad you where a wonderful man and i wish you to rip x
- Emma Wise

It is clear from the tributes that are being posted on this page, as well as those on the websites of the various local newspapers, that Mark was an inspirational man with a passion and vision that breathed new life into the last working mine of its kind in England. As a regular visitor to the Lakes, it saddens me to hear this news and read how deeply everyone feels the loss of this Cumbrian legend.
- Tracy Clayton

Rest easy Mark, you were a visionary who has left a legacy to us all, very few men leave a mark on history but you achieved it. God Bless Des
- Jenny Desmond

We'll all miss your cheeky smile, your love of life and your gazelle buzzing around you were a lengend to my son and you will be sorely missed by many. I'll hold tight the memories of buttermere, the stories you shared in the pheasant and the lunches shared at shepherds cafe. All our love to all your family you've really made a huge impact on many lives and lived life to the max. I hope others take insperation and "live life as tigers" you've done so much for the valley and the community R.I.P x
- Emily Lane

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBMX4U3smI/AAAAAAAACIg/Wz8Mn1Rmi_4/mw%20c.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBM01Ph9CI/AAAAAAAACIQ/g8TSZsECkqE/mw%20f.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBL_3uEARI/AAAAAAAACIA/1yA1r5FCNZ4/mw%20a.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBMiHOePII/AAAAAAAACIE/Oa_ClX3jom4/mw%20d.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBNSFhdN2I/AAAAAAAACIY/Pd4bYLrgpsg/mw%20i.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBMsEBLTLI/AAAAAAAACIM/nOMW_B_mQeo/mw%20e.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBM_eiJFsI/AAAAAAAACIU/3THvTaV-S3M/mw%20g.jpg

Zishelix
16th Mar 2011, 07:04
Toptobottom, you're right... I apologize.
Admin/Mod is free to remove my irrelevant comment.

Sorry once again :uhoh:

malaprop
17th Mar 2011, 17:08
There is a wealth of items on Youtube showing various aspects of Mark's gazelle ops out of Honister. Very informative, worth watching.

SilsoeSid
17th Mar 2011, 20:46
Some nice vids malaprop, I particularly like this one;

YouTube - Gazelle Helicopter

and this, same ac different day?;

YouTube - Helicopter taking off...

different ac;

YouTube - Helicopter take off at Honnester Pass

Never met Mark, but visited the mine a few years ago.
RIP

TRC
17th Mar 2011, 22:39
Some nice vids malaprop..

Hmmm......

elro
18th Mar 2011, 15:11
YouTube - Honister Helicopter - Part 1 of 2

malaprop
18th Mar 2011, 15:36
Quite a few similar to this one going by the amount of various passenger videos posted, seems he was very generous.....even treating pax to a spot of low level around 4:00 onwards

YouTube - Meghan's 18th Helicopter Flight

Savoia
21st Mar 2011, 09:55
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TX9rSiopB1I/AAAAAAAACF4/3CrJGRyizB4/s720/Brit%20Army%20Blue%20Eagles%20341B%20AH1%20Wdington%2029%20J une%2003%20%28Simon%20Thomas%29.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/__dRpfF8qlVM/TYBNKYnvH6I/AAAAAAAACPU/SUKSPtb_A9k/mw%20h.jpg

Mark Weir

1966 - 2011

RIP

Thomas coupling
21st Mar 2011, 16:04
Savoia: whats a sharks picture got to do with Mark please?

Savoia
21st Mar 2011, 16:25
I knew their had to be someone!

The funeral service commemorating Mark Weir will take place at 1pm on Monday, March 21, 2011 at St. John’s Church, Keswick. People are encouraged to wear something “Orange,” to commemorate the bright colours of Honister, and Mark’s personality.

And .. they are the Blue Eagles.

toptobottom
21st Mar 2011, 16:41
Savoia - a very fitting tribute. mark would have loved it!! :D

fisbangwollop
21st Mar 2011, 18:39
Savoia.....nice photo's and how apt is that Honister Orange smoke....yes Mark would smile at that one....

As for Mr T Coupling...yes your dead right there will always be one!! He has spent most of his spare time over the last few days on the other pprune forum trying to convince folk that this accident was probably caused by Marks mis-judgements!!

To me he is obviously an ex military type that gives this air of authority that if he says it, it must be correct......sadly his aircraft recognition has tripped him up here as its obvious the picture is of AAC Gazelles and hence the Blue Eagles.

He took great delight in telling me I should stay off that forum if Mark was a friend......based on that why has he come to this forum that is set aside for friends passing condolences only to show his bad feeling and ignorance here. I suggest to Mr Coupling you stay off this forum unless you have some respect to pay to Mark.

Thomas coupling
21st Mar 2011, 22:09
Calm down fisbangwetfish. If you go back and look youll find it wasnt me inviting you to stay off the other thread.
Yes apologies, I automatically assumed that as it was us who invented the roulette break in the first place in 1983, then it was a picture of us. Drinks all round :yuk:
I have no intention of violating the memory of this gentleman, but I don't see the link between a military display team in full flow and Mark. Can someone enlighten me please?

toptobottom
21st Mar 2011, 22:26
TC
My interpretation is that it's a final salute to a truly great bloke, who enjoyed his life to the full, by the machine he loved since he was a kid. The happy coincidence that the display includes 'Honister orange' smoke is a poignant and fitting epitaph. Mark will be chuckling at that one :ok:

22nd Mar 2011, 00:11
Such a shame that once again we are mourning the loss of one of our own.
Been looking through the thread and its evident that he was a real character who loved his flying and sharing the pure joy of flying with others.
Rest in Peace

Savoia
22nd Mar 2011, 04:59
TTB: Thank you.

Is there anyone from the Rotorheads community who attended the funeral and who could provide a brief narrative of the event?

Mark, from the YouTube videos and FB comments, seemed to make time for kids and I was impressed to see relatively young children paying tribute to him on FB.

S.

toptobottom
22nd Mar 2011, 11:09
Fisbang attended I believe, so I hope he'll post something. According to the Facetube site, the church was packed solid and only standing room outside. No surprise there then.

toptobottom
22nd Mar 2011, 12:37
This (http://cumbrialive.tv/loadplayer-Mark.htm?config1=file/get/MartinCampbell-ATributeToAFriend769.m4v)is worth watching

Honister Gazelle
7th Apr 2011, 18:17
Honister Slate Mine would like to thank all those in the helicopter and aviation community for their kinds words regarding Mark Weir.

He loved flying and the camaraderie that exists among pilots on your website. You may know Mark Weir had hoped to win planning permission for a new zip wire at Honister Slate Mine.

Mark’s family has now re-submitted the application to the Lake District National Park Authority.

They are calling it the "Zip Weir," in memory of him. Mark was working tirelessly on this before his accident and his family are not giving up on his vision.

For the debate to be a fair one and not shouted down, you may feel it's something you want to support?

It's entirely up to you, but it doesn't have to be very long and it's very easy to do.

All you have to do is email [email protected] (mhtml:{C10913DC-C09A-43B6-8F74-6076FD508C45}mid://00001446/!x-usc:mailto:[email protected]) quoting the application reference number which is 7/2011/2054 and give your opinion.

Many thanks again from all at Honister Slate Mine :cool:

DennisK
24th Oct 2011, 21:08
Viewing the Ch4 documentary, I have to say it's difficult to relate the guy working hard at Honister and his obvious enthusiasm at getting a business up and running with the words and views expressed here. I met MW just once at SPR's engineering business when he was collecting his Enstrom, (G-COLL I believe) We were in discussion with a view to him acquiring a display authority. He also told me about the derelict slate mine in the Lake District and his purchase and subsequent restoration. For the life of me I cannot see how a local planning authority would prefer to see the rusting steel derrick of an old slate mine remain at the site as an absolute eyesore while not accepting a thin, almost invisible 1 inch zip wire. Madness when mother nature or a scrambling sheep can destroy a cherished plant in seconds. On the CH4 programme at least one elequent councillor spoke common sense.

Yes, the various Gazelle videos of him 'horsing around' wouldn't have helped his aviation reputation and has been rightly regarded as unprofessional on this site. But there are very few of us who haven't stepped outside the line at some time or other. But reputation is what a person is thought to be. Character is what a person is. In that respect MW was certainly a character. To me, he seemed an energetic, plain-speaking Northerner ... and a warm family man who got on with the job. Let's bless him now and may his God help the family he left behind keep the Honister slate mine running successfully. Dennis Kenyon.

PENNINE BOY
25th Oct 2011, 04:43
Well said DK!

Just finished watching the documentary, Truly amazing guy, what a loss to the community in the lakes.

Lets all sponsor English Heritage and purchase a few sheep to put on the hill!!!

R.I.P. Mark.........

stringfellow
25th Oct 2011, 08:57
well said dennis the voice of reason is alive and well!! and glad you had an insight into our lives up here. and im glad you shared a piece of our lives up here pennine boy..

somehow a piece of moss is more important than a child experiencing a genuine high octane thrill... somehow while ive been sleeping we have arrived in this nanny state.

rip great man they need urging to resubmit the plans. and yeah he horsed around you tube is an a to z of low flying but he needed that escapeism and while i dont condone low flying, right up to the end he only harmed himself. the skies are so much poorer without him. rip.

SilsoeSid
25th Oct 2011, 10:42
iPlayer link to the recent BBC4 programme on Mark.

BBC iPlayer - Tales from the National Parks: The Lake District (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b016dr0x/Tales_from_the_National_Parks_The_Lake_District/)

In the Lake District, entrepreneur Mark Weir wants to build a giant zip-wire ride from the top of a beautiful, remote mountain. But what chance does it have of getting permission when there are over 400 objectors to it? Tragically, Mark is killed in an accident during filming and never lives to see if his zip-wire becomes a reality.

zorab64
25th Oct 2011, 11:08
The BBC4 (not Ch4) documentary provided a good balance for those who never met this man, in comparison to the opinion that may have been formed by many of us who only found out about him as a result of this tragedy.
MW was obviously an energetic & committed individual who cared about his environment, his business, his colleagues & his family (not necessarily in that order). Thumbing your nose at authority has its merits, may be admired, but is something not many are bold enough to do. However, it does need to be done subtely, and often needs a return to sensible negotiation when you're up against bodies like Natural England.
I agree wholeheartedly with those who supported the idea of challenging youth & adults alike, introducing them to nature & wonderful countryside in an exciting manner, and helping to support a difficult business in tough times through spectacular, though sensitive (IHMO) innovation. I can't believe that the single track via ferrata was destroying the only saxifrage in the area, or that the damage would be any more than other walkers straying off the normal paths to avoid a pile of sheep poo! Most walkers would hardly notice the zip-wire - certainly not in comparison to the helicopter they may have been used to. I admire the Council officer who was trying to enhance the park for the much-needed tourist ££s, & trust he will help Honnister submit a revised application. Some of the Members of the authority seemed spectacular "stick-in-the-muds" by not appreciating how many people might learn about their environment, (who might otherwise not) such that they might take more effort to protect it in the future, when they're shown how delicate it already is - you can't make an omlette etc. :ugh:

That's my rant in support of the man, in the direction he was obviously aiming for in his area/business/environment. From a flying point of view, I refer readers to my previous comments which are effectively summed up around the fact that, if you live close to the limits, you're enhancing your risk of exceeding them at some stage and you need to hope that your skill, or the aircraft, will enable you to get back in control before it's too late. Sadly, from evidence/conjecture at this stage, something would appear not to have allowed that.
It doesn't mean that he was a bad man just, possibly, that his risk evaluation may have let him down on this occasion.
RIP MW

Tailboom
25th Oct 2011, 20:54
Great documentary, but very sad to watch, knowing what happened, can you believe those guys from Natural England, what a bunch of idiots, its this kind of attitude thats wrong for this country, a little bit of moss and a few flowers trampled but now kids from all over the place cannot enjoy some spectacular thrills such a shame !
Mark must have been very frustrated dealing with them ! I feel like writing to them and expressing my views.

PENNINE BOY
26th Oct 2011, 17:29
In Marks memory guys, lets stop bashing the rights and wrongs of flying, lets all put our energies into a petition to see through Marks vision of trying to get planning permission for the zip wire.

For fu--s sake I and my friends have been going upto the lakes for a long time and I dont know of many people that actually climb the fells, most just use the cafes and bars in windermere and others.

If this can bring a few smiles on people faces that would enjoy the thrill of rock climbing and decending down a zip wire then fantastic! If the climb around the path wasnt there originally then the do gooders at English what ever in there W1 office complex wouldnt have known about a load of daisies, moss or other ****e that that was growing there in the first place! How much are these people on? I could think of more important things in life to do! :ugh: :ugh:

So come on pruners lets try and do something that would put a smile on alot of peoples faces!

P.B.

Come on Stringfellow! Lets do!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hughes500
26th Oct 2011, 18:27
So what if he flew low as long as he didnt break rule 5 then what is the problem? ( not the same as flying into cloud with ****e viz) Life is full of risks its how you manage them that counts, after all we all drive at 60 plus on an A road with other cars doing the same within 10 ft. Now that is a closing speed of 120 mph within 10 ft, everyone thinks that is acceptable

Tailboom
26th Oct 2011, 21:41
Pennine Boy what a good idea, I'm all for it !!!!

nigelh
26th Oct 2011, 21:51
Tail boom ....don't bother . I have to deal with these idiots re grouse moors.
Most of them are townies and anti field sports and have no knowledge of the country . God knows why they think they know more than the people who's family has looked after the land for generations!!!
Ps Well done TC , For one moment I thought you may let us down .

stringfellow
27th Oct 2011, 12:18
thanks for that pennine boy. its generated a huge amount of support for the proposal and an equal amount of loathing and disbelief at the actions of natural england, and to a lesser extent friends of the lake district, whose hq was recently torched.

i have congratulated richard leafe who a few months over a pizza told me he was backing the idea.. i guessed this was off record but alas it wasnt. so do you let the dust settle or resubmit?? in light of the programme i would do the latter. eric robson is probably the most level headed old lakes warrior and his opinion i respect the most and he is up for it.

and after that???? mark weir the movie i predict!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

get that petition going pennine wanderer!!

Thomas coupling
27th Oct 2011, 13:18
Lads,
Stick to the subject matter: Tributes and Condolences FFS :ugh:

Or we'll get all sorts posting: tree huggers/zip wire lovers!

Nigel: is that better?

PENNINE BOY
27th Oct 2011, 14:10
Thomas Coupling FFS

It is the same thing! A guy has lost his life! Be it tree huggers or Zip Wire maniacs it doesnt matter what you want to call them!

But what a better tribute, condolences or what ever you deem the thread to be! Than helping Marks familly, and a wish that Mark wanted, than getting behind a petition to try and get the plan accepted.

I am sorry if you think that this is in the wrong thread, but it is all about the same guy, and his dream! So come on you pruners! :D

stringfellow
27th Oct 2011, 14:58
tc, merely hours after marks death people were talking about the zip wire being the finest tribute imaginable... that legacy is the best form of remembrance.

the thread is titled tributes and condolences after all.

342 driver
1st Jul 2012, 20:14
I would like to tribute Mark Weir.
He was a good business man and has brought some life to the Lakes District.
As an aviator,
"It could have happened to any of us!!"

If nothing, his death is a warning. "Get home itus" and other issues can and do kill.

I have lost 4 close friends and every time I think, "Oh I can do that...| I think what about Henry, or Pat, or Nigel, Jerry and now Mark....

Fly safe, have fun and prosper.

Thomas coupling
2nd Jul 2012, 11:07
You smoking something 342? Strange and very very late tribute - half cocked too.

MightyGem
26th Oct 2021, 20:56
Just seen his wife on a Nat West advert. Nat West advertising the help they gave her with the business after the accident.