PDA

View Full Version : Professional reference(s) - problem

BoeingDreamer
9th Mar 2011, 02:16
I would like to know if anybody have any suggestion regarding this problem I have. I have been working non stop for 20 years, but all this time I have been self-employed. Does anyone have any suggestion how I can get around this, many companies request this?

I do have character/security references, of people who have known me for X numbers of years, this is not a problem.

Advice?

Flying Wild
9th Mar 2011, 08:59
Generally the referencing agencies which airlines use will accept a charted accountants letter certifying you were self employed. Failing that you'll need lots of personal referees!

Piltdown Man
9th Mar 2011, 10:27
You tell whomever is requesting the reference your previous employment status so they know they will not be getting a traditional reference. Maybe you could offer references from your suppliers, your customers, a bank manager, your accountant, neighbour or personal friends. Maybe one from each?

BoeingDreamer
9th Mar 2011, 11:21
Well I have an accountant that would provide me some kind of reference, but he will not be able to provide character reference with regards to my work ethics etc.
I also have flight instructors from past and present, some now airline pilots, others instructors and teachers from ATPL's courses. However many times it requires references from people I know more then 5 years.

Also what would such a reference letter contain?

If I have been in a work situation, it would not be a problem. I am actually working in my own Limited company, where I am the owner, in a way I could have my Secretary of the company write me a reference, but this is just ridiculous. As I would be able to dictate whatever I wanted in this reference.

I am aware it is a silly problem, but in case of chance of getting a job it seems to be an important issue.