PDA

View Full Version : Converting to an Irish Licence

Burgundy - Ron
7th Mar 2011, 17:21
Hi,

Can someone please confirm for me the process of changing your licence to an Irish one.
Im sure you can all guess that yes I will be starting with Ryanair in June later this year and Im sure that makes me the spawn of the devil in some people eyes!!:sad:

I have read the IAA website and printed and filled in the forms. It states that it can take 12 weeks to complete.

Could someone please confirm with me the process of adding the TR as this will surely be done after my licence is ready. Do I wait until this is completed before heading to Ireland and collecting?

Any info from anyone that has been through the process would be extreamly useful.

Stay Classy!!

corsair
7th Mar 2011, 19:14
It's pretty straightforward actually. I was in the IAA Personnel licensing office one day. There was an English lad there getting his CAA licence converted for Ryanair. I don't know where they get the 12 weeks, it was more like 12 minutes. As long as everything was in order it can be done very quickly. The IAA are well used to the process at this stage. They obviously get a lot of new FR pilots through their doors every week. You can be quite sure if it took 12 weeks, MO'L would be on the warpath.

BTW, if you have a CAA licence. That will have to be handed over for return to the CAA. This is the CAA's policy not the IAA's.

zerotohero
7th Mar 2011, 20:53
12 minuetes! lol

are you for real, thats probably how long it took to collect it

It took me about 6 or 7 weeks to do from what I remember, the slow part was getting the CAA doctor to transfer my records to the IAA doctor, this costs an additional fee of £50 I think on top of the IAA conversion fee and it paid directly to the CAA, its fairly straight forward, I did mine after getting the type rating and adding the 737 to my CAA licence

FR will bleat on that you must have it blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it you can fly on your CAA one and just say its in the process and that will be fine, lots of guys still have CAA ones and they get a standard letter every time they go to the sim about it and pay a €30 fine for it, but bottom line they need you flying and your legal, so start the process when you can but don't panic over it.

the one thing to avoid is if you start the transfer without the 737 on your licence then add it to you CAA one after the type course you will also have to pay it to be on your IAA one as well so better to time it to just add once.

hope thats of help

Gmpo
8th Mar 2011, 06:52
Hello zerotohero,

I was in the assessment last week and I found it quite easy, most of guys who attend with me to the assessment got a No yesterday, I am still waiting for answer.

How long did it take you to get an aswer?

Cheers

corsair
8th Mar 2011, 10:13
Well of course it was the actual collection of it but as you say the main delay came from the CAA side.

It's a nice little earner for the IAA. They are only to eager to extract your fee.

Kirks gusset
8th Mar 2011, 10:30
It does not take long to convert a licence, if all the paperwork is correct I have seen this done in less than a week. For RYR, successful applicants normally hear within 48 hrs.

Irish_Flyer88
9th Mar 2011, 20:55
Hey for me it took 13 days to hear from Ryanair....Well Brookfield to be exact. Got the call last week :) Start type rating June 6th. Good luck with the answer!