PDA

View Full Version : Bank Share Distribution

Squirrel 41
7th Mar 2011, 15:16
In case you've not seen it out in the sand, the LibDem thinktank CentreForum has published a paper today Publications (http://www.centreforum.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=56) proposing that the bailed out banks' shares be given to the public.

Not policy yet, but it is good to see that they're calling for all members of HM Forces to be eligible, whether they're on the Electoral Roll or not. BZ!

S41

minigundiplomat
7th Mar 2011, 15:31
If they are RBS shares, cash them in quick before they have a chance to repeat their monumental stupidity of 5 years ago and buy an ailing Dutch bank for well over the odds, even though the US Investment arm they actually wanted was sold to BoA before they signed the ill thought out contract.

Willard Whyte
7th Mar 2011, 17:49
That's a lot of billions.

Enough to eliminate the defence budget deficit, cancel the redundancy scheme and buy some shiny new toys*. Mrs WW and I would give up the 2K for a guaranteed job 'til I'm 'double nickel'.

*not from BAES.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
7th Mar 2011, 18:20
It's about time that the UK public stop blaming city bankers for the financial crisis and accept some responsibility for the billions of pounds that we greedily borrowed without the means to pay for it.
And don't get me started on the politicians here and abroad who promoted this artificial wealth to save their own jobs!

ShyTorque
7th Mar 2011, 19:31
It's about time that the UK public stop blaming city bankers for the financial crisis and accept some responsibility for the billions of pounds that we greedily borrowed without the means to pay for it.

What's with the "we", Kemu Sabe?

I've not personally borrowed a single penny for many years. Nor did I vote for the government of the time. But then not many did..

soddim
7th Mar 2011, 22:41
This is about the most half-arsed idea to emerge from that particular think-tank. Might be better if they gave up thinking. What this government needs to do is turn a profit from the banks by sorting our economy out - the moment growth begins again the banks will recover. Then the shares can be gradually offloaded for the profit of the taxpayer - not in the way that prudence Brown did with our gold at the bottom of the market.