PDA

View Full Version : Would a Management/Business or HR degree help a Chief Pilot Applicant?

tDawe
6th Mar 2011, 17:46
I'll apologize in advance if this (specific) question has been debated before, which it probably has, although I looked and couldn't find it.

I have a desire down the road to try and move on to more management related positions, Chief Pilot or VP of Flight Operations or other such positions. Since the desire to eventually try and take on these responsibilites can only mean that my own judgement is debatable, I was looking for the advice of others who hold, or have held, such roles.

My life position is such that over the next few years I have the chance to work away at a undergraduate degree in Managment, with courses focusing on Economics, Finance, and HR while continuing to fly. There's no doubt that having a degree to fall back on would be a good idea outside of flying, but I'm curious how much it might help within flying, if a guy wanted to move on to management roles.

Obviously its no replacement for flying experience, but is it as much of an asset as I seem to think it might be for a management candidate? or would my $30,000ish CDN (paid in cash over the years, no debt, so thats not an issue) be better spent on hookers and blow, er ah, I mean stocks and bonds?

Thanks in advance for all responses/PMs..

tDawe

Manchester
7th Mar 2011, 18:48
OK, you deserve some feedback so I’ll start it. You’ll succeed or fail based on who you are - your professional and personal qualities and capabilities. A qualification like a management degree will demonstrate that you’ve invested in your future and the industry, so will make you stand out from the other candidates, but it also does no more than imply that you may be aware of higher-level relevant skills. It doesn’t prove that you can apply them and manage people and operations. That’s down to you to gain a reputation and to show at interview and on the job. The industry is heavily manned with people who know they could do better than their chief pilot but like to keep it that way; it does little to nurture chief pilots and a good one can be hard to find at the right moment; plenty say they will apply but few do and fewer are chosen, and its a small industry with few openings. Your effort deserves the reward of a quick appointment to a good job, but it won’t; that depends on timing, luck and who you are. If you’re sure you want to get there and to weight the table in your favour, do the degree, but first assess yourself, and then don’t expect all the hard work to have an immediate payback. Good luck