PDA

View Full Version : 150hrs., please, and I want them cheap...

DeltaTango
11th Feb 2001, 03:15
Hello fellow wannabees...
I need to fly 150hrs....does anyone know a cheap place for hour building?

Any info appreciated...from anywhere in the world.

DT

Noggin
11th Feb 2001, 14:08
Cheap hours are easy to come by, go the USA. Quality hours are much more difficult to acquire. Hour wasting may get you the hours you need, but the courses you then do will be much harder and the outcome less certain if you forego the quality.

sd
11th Feb 2001, 14:37
Noggin!

:rolleyes:

With respect, what are you talking about?!!
Hour building in the States will give you as good, and in many ways better than you can get elsewhere.
In the States GA is king. You can experience flying into busy International Airports (and different ones each time), fly almost every day in very different weather conditions (it is not sunny and calm all the time!) etc etc etc...
The Yanks are not in the habit of falling out of the sky every day! Indeed it can be argued that their safety records are better than ours.
In the States you can build quality hours quickly and in circumstances which you would not come accross over here until you have your ATPL.
BE WARNED American pilots fly over here EVERY hour!!!
Now PPL training over there, well that is another two sided argument all together.

[This message has been edited by sd (edited 11 February 2001).]

Superfly
11th Feb 2001, 15:11
SD, I completely agree with what you're saying. I am holder of a UK CAA PPL with 98%of my hours flown in the states. I reckon that flying in some very busy airspaces in the "Sunny" Florida like Daytona or St Petersburg brought me great confidence both with flying and R/T. The ability that the wheather has to change within minutes is impressive and gives you a great opportunity to test your decision-taking skills ...... From my own experience, clocking up hours in C152's across Florida brought me an awfull lot...... I hope that my experience is not "Unique" and that some fellow wanabees experienced the same as me. Happy Landings, Superfly

outofsight
11th Feb 2001, 21:46
If you want the cheapest flying go to the middle of the USA, I learnt to fly at a place where a PA38 was 25 dollar per hour wet. You had to buy a 50 hour block to get that price though. That was in Oklahoma city, Wiley post. That company has gone bust now though so I guess that 25 dollar deal was too good to last.
The other club at the airport is called Pinincal Aviation or something like that so give them a call and see if you can get a deal like that.

Also there was an outfit that was hiring out aircraft like katannia's for a fixed price per day and you could fly them as much as you liked, If you flew more than 8 hours per day it was very very cheap. Cannot remember the name of that company.

good luck and don't pay anymore than 35 dollars per hour for a 2 seater.

Tip tank
11th Feb 2001, 22:04
I am probably off to the US to do 60 hours over a fortnight. Even when you include the cost of the air fare, accommodation, insurance etc. for an average school it is still waaay cheaper than the UK.

------------------
...was that TO or FROM?

Autofly
11th Feb 2001, 22:09
Talking about building, is there any advantage of flying various types whilst trying to get your 150 hours.

I want to go on a distance learning course with OATS/Cabair/BAe etc. etc. and need to hour build myself. I know where you can get C152's for 42 quid an hour in the UK but am wondering whether or not to take it on. Is there any advantage flying, say, Archers and 172's which are going to cost you more to get the magic 150 hours. Do the schools look more favourably on this??? I've got no problem with the 152 but I don't want to fly them for the rest of my life.

Anyone shed any light on this. Cheers

Autofly

Delta Wun-Wun
11th Feb 2001, 23:15
If you get the chance to do some hour building in the states, I would go and do it.Obviously there are some great cross countries to do.I would also find out whats involved in the CPL skill test and use some of the hours building time practising for that.What ever you decide make every hour flying count for something.

------------------
GET THE BLOODY NOSE DOWN!