PDA

View Full Version : Big fire at Binbrook

mmitch
5th Mar 2011, 18:34
A big fire at the old RAF Binbrook site.
Binbrook fire hanger! - Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107309)
mmitch.

dctyke
5th Mar 2011, 18:49
Looks like the old LTF hanger (center on the waterfront), great shame.

SRENNAPS
5th Mar 2011, 19:23
Wow! I think that was the hangar where I fixed a Goldstar tonka back in 84/85. One of our pilots, Son Ldr Gordon Riekie (not sure about spelling), asked me to measure the width of a twin sticker lightning and compare it with the width of a Tonka. The Lightning was only just a little bit wider but obviously it was designed for two jocks side by side.

Great two weeks at Binbrook, the WRAFs really looked after us and I remember the good Sqn Ldr buying us fish and chips because we worked very late one night. They were the days. Often wonder how Gordon is doing……..he was one of the best.

Very sad to see those pics.

mmitch
5th Mar 2011, 19:44
There is a Lightning preserved there. Last I heard it was parked outside. Hope it's far enough away.
mmitch.

TorqueOfTheDevil
5th Mar 2011, 21:55
Son Ldr Gordon Riekie

I encountered Reeks at TTTE not long before it closed, still going strong but definitely not impressed by a mischievous '4000 Hrs GR1' badge which some imp had designed to mark his (Reeks') achievement...for the record, D***** Br**** also achieved that milestone at about the same time...

Evalu8ter
6th Mar 2011, 06:49
Flew over Binbrook at low level a few weeks ago; given the state of the place this fire could be considered a mercy killing......

mmitch
6th Mar 2011, 09:21
An update on that same thread above says that damage to the building may be confined to one end only.
mmitch.

GreenKnight121
6th Mar 2011, 16:52
i think it will be saved. shall find out more when we are allowed inside today .Managed to briefly look inside and fire was mainly in one area with roof damage to proberly about 15-20 percent of the roof which was mainly because it was timber clad underneath the absestos.
Will get some close up pictures in the next half hour when we back on site.

Set of post-fire pics here, including one from inside showing the damage: Key Publishing Ltd Aviation Forums - View Single Post - Binbrook Hangar Fire! (http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1714747&postcount=23)

There is no reasons for suspision and the fire is mainly to part of the roof without any structural damage .
Hardly any damage inside as i have been inside there today with the owners