PDA

View Full Version : spend the extra cash or save it

Clintonb
5th Mar 2011, 13:22
Im an European citizen and been doing research on flight schools for a year now and have found the school i want to go to just the problem is i keep hearing that a license is a license.

my initial plan was to go to the states join this school and do my full JAA PPL + JAA ATPL course for about 50k, training will be a full year

but the more i look into it and as i said keep hearing this license is a license i ask my self should i rather save the extra cash and spend just 25k- 30k and get a full FAA MEIR CPL training only taking me about 4-6 months?

fair enough my goal is to get an ATPL preferable JAA i know u cant get an ATPL for FAA till you have over 1500hr but i can do it in a later stage.

So was thinking if a license is just a license then why not do the FAA MEIR CPL course and find work maybe contract work or bush flying around the world as a CPL pilot as i heard you dont need a ATPL really for those kind of jobs (quote me if im wrong) gain experience and when i feel ready or have more experience i can stick my head in the books for the JAA ATPL and do the conversion from FAA CPL to JAA CPL with the add ons.

So was wondering what your opinions are on this is. shall i spend all the money and bust it out for a full year and end up getting a full JAA ATPL + i get a FAA PPL for having to do flight training in the states or just do the FAA CPL course and go look for low time jobs and get my foot in the door before spending everything on getting ATPL

Thanks for your time and help looking forward to reading your answers and hopefully help me make a decision.

safe flying and have a great weekend

zondaracer
5th Mar 2011, 16:11
Some things I have learned first hand...

FAA licences are pretty good, but donīt do you any good in Europe, which you already know it seems.

If you do the JAA ATPL course, you will only have a CPL with ATPL theory completed, but it is still only a CPL until you have 1500hrs plus other requirements.

The FAA licence is cheaper, but the JAA conversion is EXPENSIVE and a PITA, just knock out the JAA licences even though it takes longer. Even quitting your job and doing the JAA conversion full time takes about 7-10 months for the average person. So in the end, you will spend more or less the same money.

FAA licence is nice to have especially if you want to work in the US one day, but if you can afford it, i would spend the money and time to knock out the JAA licences in the beginning because the JAA licence is just as valid, if not more accepted, in places such as Africa/Asia/Middle East.

if you decide to do FAA ratings then get instructor ratings too, because there are opportunities to instruct around the world and possibly open some doors.

this is my opinion from my personal experience, iīm sure others will chime in with theirs.

Clintonb
30th Mar 2011, 17:50
Thanks a lot zondaracer for your info have had a look more into ti and it will be more beneficial and in the end i will be saving money by doing the whole course getting both licenses.
thanks again and safe flying

cefey
30th Mar 2011, 21:47
agree with Zondaracer

My advice is to go to US on F1, get your CFII and work there for a year as instructor.
Convert your licenses to JAA fATPL (do it in US, while your instructing, so you will save quite much time).
That will cost you more, but in return, you getting much more as well.
After that, you can look for bush-flying jobs or simular.

Im constantly monitoring job market and most companies asking for JAA CPL + fATPL. So it definitely good to have fATPL.
And you never know when opportunity gonna knock on your door. Maybe you will get a chance at "real" job quite right after your education and then fATPL is a must.
Other thing, its some jobs in europe and africa (for low hour pilots), that asking for FAA CPL ME IR. So it opens some doors there.

Look at school EFT, OFT and PIA (all in Central Florida), they offer F1 visa, good training and decent prices.
I have some friends in EFT and PIA, they are very happy.
In 2 months im my self going to OFT for conversion, so Ill update this forum on that school.

GL mate! PM if you have any more questions.

captainsuperstorm
31st Mar 2011, 08:05
keep your money for now. and watch desperados killing their grandmom for a non existent job.

if airlines need you, they will call you for an interview.maybe as a cadet.

it takes only 2 years to be trained, if you see the market improving, go for it.

if I was you, i would look at their website, see what kind of pilots they want. and do my training in function of what they want. if they want guys with 2000 h on jet, forget about it. if they ask for a cpl, JAA, 200h, ok, go for it.

don't listen non pilot, who say go for it , go USA, or whatever, they are clueless.

keep ur money!