PDA

View Full Version : will spicejet find capt for bombardiers

stubby1
5th Mar 2011, 05:40
hi
curious as to who will want to join on bombardier ac as capt/ transition capt.
my opinion is that spicejet will find it extremely hard to fill the left seats.
any musings ?:\

sky jet
5th Mar 2011, 11:24
Why? I fyour choice is captain on a Q400 or looking at the aviation industry from the outside why would you not take the job? A very long time ago a mentor told me a truism, " My worst day ever as a Captain was still better than my best day as an F/O". I am just curious why you think Spicejet will have trouble filling the slots. All the retiring Military pilots need to go someplace.

Jet

vdaff
5th Mar 2011, 11:57
I heard they already got enough Captains so far to operate at least 3 Q400s

stubby1
5th Mar 2011, 13:50
My doubts were because, F/O getting ALTPs will rather stick in their present co.& present a/c expecting a faster rise to eventually bigger ac.

Secondly, the uniqueness of the a/c in india, limits use of the rating.

Thirdly, base limitation in hyd.

Anyway ALTP will still get you captaincy on airbus/ Boeing.

As far as military pilots are concerned i think settling down in airbus / boeing will still be preferred, in addition to the base limitation & type limitation.
:8
If they have already found capts for three a/c, my guess would be .. expats.

jackcarls0n
5th Mar 2011, 15:52
arent they getting like 35 q400?

sky jet
5th Mar 2011, 18:14
Stubby1,

Yes, the initial captains are expats. However, I do not believe that they will have any trouble finding Indian captains. First they are recruiting senior ATR FO's and promising them command in 500 hours. Second I believe that there are plenty of First Officers ready for 737 upgrade so any military pilot coming to Spicejet now may very well be looking at a long wait for a jet command. Why not take a 6-8 month upgrade on the Q400? Now if you are sitting on a 737 type and PIC time they would love to hear from you. As for basing, many of the newly minted Spicejet Captains and recently hired FO's are not getting the bases that they want. I think the days of getting the base of your choice are pretty well over now.

Jet

stubby1
6th Mar 2011, 14:52
ok
but wont military pilots then prefer indigo.. only airbus. & pretty stable co. Next would be jet I think.
Of course kingfisher is out of favour with looooong, erratic & whimsical training.
:O

sky jet
6th Mar 2011, 17:48
I also believe that most pilots would prefer the narrow/wide body jet only jobs. However, like most things in aviation demand does or soon will outstrip supply. The growth rates of Indian airlines are not sustainable over the long run. At the moment Indian aviation is growing at a rate comparable to China's, while China is 2/3 larger than India in area and has many more airports. This rate can not continue for ever. At some point there will simply not be enough runway space in the Metros to add more domestic jet flights. In the morning and evening it has already reached that point in BOM. MAA, BLR, HYD and CCU all now have short periods where being number 10 in landing sequence is becoming more common. Many of the growth air routes in India are going to be between Tier II and Tier III cities. These routes simply will not support aircraft larger than the ATR-72 or Q-400. If pilots now in the military or finishing flight training wish to participate in airline aviation in the near future they will need to enter the industry in Turbo Props. This is the norm in the rest of the world and will eventually be the new norm on the Sub-Continent. The days of a still wet CPL landing a jet FO job are already over. The day of the military pilot leaving the service and flying 500 hours as an FO and then getting command are ending. I believe that within 5 years most will be grateful to have an opportunity to get into any airline as a FO on a Turboprop.

Jet

Schmuck
6th Mar 2011, 22:56
I pretty much agree that 200-250 Hr TOTAL time- Fresh out of a cessna-CPL holders were really lucky to be at the right place at the right time, some 4-5 years ago.

Anyone WITHOUT a job, would jump onto a turboprop airliner when the Jet option is totally ruled out.

Are we forgetting that even at the peak of hiring in the late NINETIES, the min reqmt for pilots to even get considered for an interview spanned from 500 Total w 50 Multi to 1000 Total w 100 Multi.

A lot of new CPL holders back from flying wherever, dont/didnt even have a multi engine rating.

It was almost taken for granted that if the requirement to get a Commercial License was 200 hrs, one is ENTITLED to it at 200 (didnt matter what the skill level is).

Where would anyone get the initial 500-1000 hours of flying experience?
So yea.....they wont have any problems filling up the seats of the Dash 8s.

stubby1
7th Mar 2011, 02:45
sky jet
A very fresh perspective, i must confess. however there will always be jet a/c which will be able to operate in the tier II & III cities.
I know that turbo props score in short legs & r/w scenario, but lets see how it pans out !!

:hmm:

SeniorEagle
7th Mar 2011, 03:01
SpiceJet must first stop building an image as LootJet before Captains can think of a long Carreer with them.
The Examination fee of Rs 20,000/- from wannabe Trainee First Officers and rumours of more exorbitant charges as the selection process advances have dented their image under the new management.:\

vserian
7th Mar 2011, 03:11
Sky Jet good post there
But In my opinion there is room for more development in the country. How many airports in India do you think are like the new Delhi airport? I can count it easily with my finger. Just compare the airports with china, and also china is large but most of its air travel is concentrated in the east. India is more or less like china but china is running while India is walking. Mumbai Itself has the potential to be one of the biggest in Asia but its not going to happen soon in this corrupt country( no matter who wins the elections). So I would say in the coming 20 years airlines in India has the potential to double their fleet and improve their quality of service. Of course these should occur in phase with infrastructural development and quality of life.

Well you are right, the days of where a 250hr CPL holder getting into the airline without any more experience are over. unless you got more lacs to shed out to the airlines

volare_737
7th Mar 2011, 06:57
Anybody know where the Q400 Base is going to be ???

SeniorEagle
8th Mar 2011, 02:31
Hyderabad is on the cards

DHC6to8
8th Mar 2011, 08:16
Hello aviators,
Can anybody tell me what the expat Captain salaries are for the B737 fleet at SpiceJet?
As well, which bases are open for the B737 fleet? Are they the same as for the new Q 400?
Any insight appreciated,
Thanks
6to8