PDA

View Full Version : Last problem seems to be far-reaching. Windows now not valid!!!!

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2011, 21:19
I won't have time to research this until we get home, but at the moment of messing with Office, the Security Essentials switched itself off, saying the reason was Windows not genuine.

Vista as of new HP dv6000. Never been reinstalled or owt.

Check for valid copy says it isn't. Aaaaaaaaaaagh.:ugh:

Tinstaafl
5th Mar 2011, 01:18
Microsoft's Genuine Advantage. To them, not you. :mad:

hellsbrink
5th Mar 2011, 07:48
Now you see a good reason to bypass and not update Windows genuine Advantage

glad rag
5th Mar 2011, 10:04
And you know what? they won't give a stuff if you have been left high and dry either [microsoft]

hellsbrink
5th Mar 2011, 10:28
And, glad rag, because of that attitude to their customers I would recommend that LR looks around for one of the various workarounds to bypass the WGA and ensure it is never updated as, iirc, this problem has been popping up constatly since Vista first appeared.

I can't see an issue with LR doing this since his copy of Winders is actually "genuine", it ain't as if he is hacking a dodgy copy bought of some joey in the pub.

AnthonyGA
5th Mar 2011, 17:14
I won't have time to research this until we get home, but at the moment of messing with Office, the Security Essentials switched itself off, saying the reason was Windows not genuine.

That has happened to me many times. It should fix itself. It usually seems to happen after a boot. I'm on XP but I'm pretty sure that whatever bug causes it to fail to validate probably exists on Windows 7, too.

The real question is why MSE is constantly checking that to begin with. If it was genuine yesterday, it's still genuine today, after all.

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2011, 20:49
Since the family have decided to watch a film about a mad hanging by his arm for 127 hours, I thought I would have a go with MS.

I might as well have hung by my arm for the last 3 hours.

Finally, I get through to the right department. 40 mins on my cell phone. They are having problems, could I call back?

Violent thoughts.

One thing, I decided I'd better use MS Explorer. I tried to get Yahoo off, and Google as the main page. Mmmm....seems Yahoo is fighting back. Just a few clues, but the browser double loads and crashes, then I get Yahoo inviting itself, then Google protesting..........

Before I'd found out what was happening, it crashed just as a bloke was trying to help. :ugh: Oh, my...not a word of me book writ since I've arrived in Austin. :mad: computers. :mad: MS Try our nice new software. :mad: hell.

Shunter
5th Mar 2011, 22:38
Perhaps sir should be upgrading to a Mac for a more refined, less legacy-feeling consumer experience?

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2011, 06:50
Looking at DIL's lovely little machine today, and it is nice, but trouble is, it's a different world.

Just made my last call to Micro :mad: Soft at 01:35 ish. They are STILL dead in the water WORLD-WIDE with a major server crash, and can not help me with RE-Validation, (or even others with, Validation.)

AnthonyGA
6th Mar 2011, 08:03
The problem is one of desktop computers in general, not any specific OS. If you change operating systems, you just swap one set of problems for another.

Bushfiva
6th Mar 2011, 08:32
LR, does the HP have a sticker on the case with the product key on it? Does it match the product key shown on start>computer>right click "properties"?

If yes, you may have been hit by a known problem where the BIOS SLIC can't be read for some reason. This may be listed as the cause in the diagnostic report.

I do know there was a KB fix some time back for fixing this problem on (mostly) HP computers, and a separate fix for recovering from it if you'd already got the problem, but I can't remember where/when I saw it.

Otherwise, you can revalidate by changing the product key. I don't know Vista, so if there isn't a button on the screen to change the product ID, you can enter "SLUI 3" in the start>search box to fire up the right program.

It may require talking to a yooman bing at Microsoft.

Loose rivets
6th Mar 2011, 16:44
Thanks Bush. That would be a trick! I found myself trying not to shout at a computer in the early hours.:*

They do NOT match. But one was called Product key, the other ID. So, I wondered if that could be something else. I did mention this to someone in New Deli, but he just said, 'Oh.' and gave me another telephone number.

I'm in the midst of family, and can't really concentrate, so I'll put up with it until we head south tomorrow.

A strange magnetic force pulled me to the computer. I had to try again.

Got given the runaround on the phone again, until someone admitted they couldn't help me until tomorrow. Thought I'd try the automatic route.

Validate, seems to be something that needs Active X Okay, I'll follow the logical route. Pah!

I get a screen which is unequivocal...press the blue button, and I'll be taken to activation screen. I am...for one nanosecond.

I can just see it there, until a :mad:ing Bing screen overwrites it. Nothing I can do will make it not load. In a weak moment, I even let Bing load whatever it wanted - I don't use MS Explorer anyway, so if it gets binged, I won't care - Anyway, it didn't make any difference. The screen I want has a button to press and I even tried to press it in half a nannosecond. I got quite good at it, but it didn't work.

I can understand how a company like MS can become a suppurating pile of poo, but what I can't understand is how it can work so well sometimes . . . just well enough in fact, to make one want it to work again.

Loose rivets
24th Mar 2011, 06:35
Just a mention about the saga. The Rivetess spent two hours with MS today. They are now sending the problem to their boffins.

She also got the screen popping up over the Validation screen. They don't know how that's happening.

Now this issue is, am I pleased she couldn't fix something I couldn't. :rolleyes:

M.Mouse
24th Mar 2011, 09:58
LR, does the HP have a sticker on the case with the product key on it? Does it match the product key shown on start>computer>right click "properties"?

Are you sure that the Product KEY gets shown? I thought the Product ID gets shown. I was unaware that the Product KEY is shown anywhere in Windows without using some third party software.

From the sounds of the problem I wouldn't be surprised if it was malware of some flavour causing it.

Loose rivets
24th Mar 2011, 16:09
It's not conclusive, but it coincided with the removal of Office Beta. (yes, I know.)

Indeed, the ID shown is not the product key. It's quite different with -OEM- as part of the number.

MS has twice before confirmed my Key is correct. It's just that verification procedure won't work. If that other 'screen' did not jump over the required one, it might well work if I could only get to that button. As mentioned above, I tried racing to it, even stabbing at where I knew it was.

They're supposed to be phoning at 4pm Central today. One waits with baited breath.

Loose rivets
25th Mar 2011, 17:43
Another two hours talking to India, and after running three sets of virus detection - one for three hours - he finally reloads Security Essentials. It then validated itself.

It seems to me that they know full well these :mad: are aiming at their anti-virus program. Strange hobby, or is it a hobby?

Who would be the most likely folk to want to kill an all-encompassing and free piece of software? Just thinkin'

M.Mouse
25th Mar 2011, 20:04
So the problem was a virus?

Loose rivets
25th Mar 2011, 20:34
The nice man in India was totally focused on the virus route from hour one. He was in the top echelon of MS troubleshooters, all the others having failed to get anywhere.

My guess is they know full well what's going on, but it means admitting Security Essentials is easily get-atable.

hellsbrink
26th Mar 2011, 08:40
Indeed, LR, a quick look around shows that MSE has at least one known vulnerability and if your system isn't completely up to date the hackers will try to exploit it.

jimtherev
26th Mar 2011, 09:57
I have to say, LR, we owe you a debt of gratitude: you seem to get into some of the most intriguing problems. Quite entertaining, really, plus educational.:):ok:

hellsbrink
26th Mar 2011, 10:05
PS

Who would be the most likely folk to want to kill an all-encompassing and free piece of software? Just thinkin'

People who want to use your PC as a "bot" or to slip a nasty on your system so they can get all your bank, etc, details?